World Cup 2022

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Archie2009

Re: World Cup 2022

Post by Archie2009 »

DNS wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:05 pm USA advances!

First time to knockout stage in several years.
Netherlands - USA this Saturday. :smile:
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Archie2009 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:07 pm
DNS wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:05 pm USA advances!

First time to knockout stage in several years.
Netherlands - USA this Saturday. :smile:
vs.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Good win for England playing well again 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Face palmed at all the middle eastern teams in this world cup
Natan wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:47 am Dude.. imagine a world where you can't find any valid information about the world....
This shows that having a firewall is stupid, the truth will eventually get out to the masses one way or another.
Life is like a game, either you win or lose!
Life is like a fight, either you live or die!
Life is like a show, either you laugh or cry!
Life is like a dream, either you know or not!!!
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

This US team has been fun to watch, but the Dutch are going to beat them like an Indonesian farmhand.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Kai lord wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:27 pm Face palmed at all the middle eastern teams in this world cup
Natan wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:47 am Dude.. imagine a world where you can't find any valid information about the world....
This shows that having a firewall is stupid, the truth will eventually get out to the masses one way or another.
This is true, but then they just bring the iron fist down harder.

Virgo
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

Genjo Conan wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:55 pm This US team has been fun to watch, but the Dutch are going to beat them like an Indonesian farmhand.
We are very weak at the moment. USA might win.
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Archie2009 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:08 pm
Genjo Conan wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:55 pm This US team has been fun to watch, but the Dutch are going to beat them like an Indonesian farmhand.
We all thought Morocco was weak until they beat Belgium
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

Kai lord wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:22 pm
Archie2009 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:08 pm
We beat Belgium 1 - 4 in Brussels in the Nations League last June. Their defense is past expiration date.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Archie2009 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:43 pm
Kai lord wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:22 pm
Archie2009 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:08 pm We are very weak at the moment. USA might win.
We beat Belgium 1 - 4 in Brussels in the Nations League last June. Their defense is past expiration date.
And De Bruyne didn't have a Haaland to pass the ball to in this World Cup.
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

What the hell even just happened in group D
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Genjo Conan wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:09 pm What the hell even just happened in group D
This is why the football world cup is so popular, because there's always some drama of some kind, which inflames the passions even more. Imagine beating France, and still failing to advance? They should've played better in their first two matches, which of course is easy to say now.

And then you have group E with Japan, who managed to beat Germany of all teams, only to fail catastrophically vs. Costa Rica, so now they need to beat Spain or at the very least get a draw and then hope for a favorable result between Germany and Costa Rica, and even so it'll likely boil down to which team has the better goal difference.

And what a horrible cup Denmark had. A complete no-show from beginning till end.

Poland vs. Argentina and Saudi Arabia vs. Mexico next! Another completely open group where anything can happen.
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Genjo Conan wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:09 pm What the hell even just happened in group D
France, knowing that they are already qualified, put in their team B and players putting in lesser effort? They have, after all, less motivation to win another world cup compared to other nations.
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

Kai lord wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:11 pm
France, knowing that they are already qualified, put in their team B and players putting in lesser effort?
OK, but then why put in Mbappe, Griezmann, and Dembele in the 75th minute or whatever? If you're not trying to win, just let them rest. And France still have those other guys on the team: if your reserves suck, that's not a great sign.
They have, after all, less motivation to win another world cup compared to other nations.
I am not a world-class athlete, but I can comfortably say that they feel motivated to win, and that it's nonsense to suggest otherwise.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Genjo Conan wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:37 pm
France, knowing that they are already qualified, put in their team B and players putting in lesser effort?
OK, but then why put in Mbappe, Griezmann, and Dembele in the 75th minute or whatever? If you're not trying to win, just let them rest. And France still have those other guys on the team: if your reserves suck, that's not a great sign.
They have, after all, less motivation to win another world cup compared to other nations.
I am not a world-class athlete, but I can comfortably say that they feel motivated to win, and that it's nonsense to suggest otherwise.
Yes I agree. Brazil are chasing their 6th world cup trophy, and I can guarantee you that if they fail at doing so, it will be a disastrous result in Brazil. There, winning is the only alternative. In fact, if the world cup was arranged every year, Brazil would want to win it every year. So, if you're representing your nation, whichever one that may be, and you're playing in the world cup, and you don't care to win the world cup, you shouldn't be there.

When I played football, be it during high school or after, I was motivated to win regardless of what the match was, even during regular gym class. It reminds me of the dreadful 1998 world cup finale, of France vs. Brazil, where the Brazil team was shell-shocked before the match due to thinking that their player Ronaldo had died, due to having swallowed his tongue or so, while he was sleeping. Edmundo was supposed to start for Brazil, but they played Ronaldo instead, despite him being out of it. The entire team was limp and useless with zero energy. Eventually Edmundo was played, and it really looked like he was the only player out there representing Brazil, who actually cared and tried to win. On several occasions he lashed out at his teammates in anger, because they seemingly had given up, and also let France waste time on purpose.

That's the kind of passion I want to see in players. At least, it's what resonates the most with me, from when I played football back in the days. Players who don't care to play are embarrassing.
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Genjo Conan wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:37 pm
They were playing for a draw at least but unexpectedly lost.
Less motivation, does not mean "no motivation". Compared to other teams like Argentina and Brazil who never won a world cup for decades, who do you think, got stronger desire and drive?
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

France fielded a C team with the aim of losing, hoping to end up in second place so that they wouldn't have to face England in the last eight. The dastardly plan was shipwrecked when Australia unexpectedly failed to beat Denmark by six goals.
Genjo Conan wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:37 pm OK, but then why put in Mbappe, Griezmann, and Dembele in the 75th minute or whatever? If you're not trying to win, just let them rest.
Just a clever trick to avert suspicions that they wanted to lose.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Mexico eliminated. no bueno

Same number of points as Poland, but Poland had the better goals difference amount, by one.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

DNS wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:42 pm Mexico eliminated. no bueno

Same number of points as Poland, but Poland had the better goals difference amount, by one.
Poland was playing like they built a wall of concrete in front of their goal. I was glad, they made it to the next round. This is the first time they made it since 1986,I think. They had a very hard match against Argentina.
Polands next game is against France... Well, they had a little challenge against Tunesia today. Very lazy game of France - seemingly they saved their power for the next round.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Another good take-away (pun intended) from the Cup - https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/27/spor ... d-cup.html

:thumbsup:
Kim

Return to “Lounge”