World Cup 2022

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Svalaksana

Re: World Cup 2022

Post by Svalaksana »

Kai lord wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:21 am The dark horses in this tournament so far, are Senegal, Morocco and argusbly Portugal.
Eh... Portugal would really have a chance at reaching the latter stages, if Ronaldo were to be benched. His current ego trip is doing great harm to the teams' focus and aspirations and as long as he remains in the starting 11, any team will have numerical and strategical advantage over them.
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Poland cleared off the line then France score
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

There's plenty of time; I firmly believe England can still screw this up
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Virgo wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:44 am This is ridiculous.

It's okay to make fun of white people but it is not okay to make fun of black people?

This is ridiculous.

Virgo
Oh, you hang with the wrong people. Some of us get our giggles from everyone. Its not malicious unless you make it so.

Some people cant' take humor. Too bad for them.

world cup relevant... seems things are going to expectation.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Norwegian wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:15 pm
Queequeg wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:10 pm Overreaction much?
No. You made a stupid comment, that's all. Own that. And don't try to pretend that it wasn't stupid.
I don't think its stupid. I think your reaction is, though. Funny you get upset about my white people comment but didn't flinch at the suggestion that black people are better athletes. I suppose that's just a fact, though. In the US, most of the elite athletes are black. The most athletically challenging games - basketball - there's hardly ever a white guy on the court, and if there are, they're likely Eastern European. Go figure.

My point was, soccer is still played mostly by privileged white kids in the US. Black kids don't really play. As Kristen pointed out, there are a lot of Latinos playing, but sadly, those kids aren't getting a lot of access to the youth development programs.

When the best athletes start playing soccer in the US (mostly black kids), we will see a monumental leap in American soccer.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

KristenM wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:41 am The USA just doesn’t have soccer in their DNA…yet.
Exactly. For a long time, soccer was a suburban white kid sport. To the extent that some immigrant kids were playing, not just latinos, but also Caribbeans, there was that, but they weren't going into the college programs which was basically the only higher level competition for a long time. Its only in the last 10-15 years that there has been a concerted effort across the country to identify and develop youth talent outside of those suburban programs.

Sorry to all the non-Americans who don't care about this stuff, but I would point out, these kinds of programs are examples of the kinds of efforts we are making in this country to open avenues of opportunity to underprivileged, generally non-white, kids.

In this country, we have to be aware of race and ethnicity, class etc. because if we don't recognize these things and how they make us different, and more critically, how they determine the opportunities we have in life, we can't fix the entrenched structures and obstacles to make every kid born in this country have a shot at a good life. Not saying that the issues we tend to focus on are the only paths to a good life, but opportunities for advancement in economic, educational, professional etc. paths that we can tinker with make huge impacts on people's lives.

In support of this - I'll refer back to my comment about American women dominating world soccer. Its because we recognize women as a category and have decided that its important to allocate resources for their programs that US Women's soccer has been so far ahead of everyone else. Similarly, when we start developing our best athletes into soccer players from diverse backgrounds, the US soccer team will become an elite juggernaut. One thing we excel at is making world class athletes, and that goes far beyond good genes. Its development programs, training, sports medicine, opportunities, etc.
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

Genjo Conan wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:05 pm There's plenty of time; I firmly believe England can still screw this up
Ah. Well, nevertheless
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Genjo Conan wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:55 pm
Genjo Conan wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:05 pm There's plenty of time; I firmly believe England can still screw this up
Ah. Well, nevertheless
France will be a test see if we can stop Mbappe
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Norwegian wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:25 am
KristenM wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:15 am
Virgo wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:45 am

Why would that make a difference?

Virgo
It doesn’t make any difference, however typically one sees a lot of support for Mexico’s team and not for the USA in my area of the US when it comes to soccer. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It’s all part of the multicultural environment we live in. I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Football as a sport has a really good feature in that everybody can play it. It doesn't cost much money at all, and you can do it even with a cheap ball. Last World Cup was watched by 3.57 billion people or so. Basically half the planet. There's 29,208 football teams in Brazil alone. There's over a million teams on the planet. Close to 4,000 pro teams in total. So it reaches a lot of people.
Exactly. Football (soccer) is accesible to everyone. You don’t need expensive gear like helmets and padding to start playing. Although finding referees who can call out offsides well is a bit of a challenge.

My neighbors from Yemen were thrilled to learn today that we were also watching the World Cup at our house and said the exact same thing about the worldwide popularity of football.

Americans need to chill and stop talking about becoming the next big thing in football. Just accept our inexperience and be in awe of the talent that exists elsewhere worldwide. A very hard thing for Americans to do, lol.

The US excels now only at games that we made up. But, at least we can still win in smiling contests. :D
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

KristenM wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:23 am Americans need to chill and stop talking about becoming the next big thing in football. Just accept our inexperience and be in awe of the talent that exists elsewhere worldwide. A very hard thing for Americans to do, lol.
Respectfully, and this will be my last comment on this whole subject:

Watching the USMNT at the World Cup, is related to watching these guys play in CONCAAF, and all the professional leagues (I watch MLS and only passively watch Euro leagues because of when the games air - I'm not getting up a 6 am just to watch soccer. I mean, its not football which I will get up to watch when the NFL plays a London game). How the USMNT fairs in international competition is relevant to watching all those other competitions. And when the US goes out with a whimper like that, for USMNT fans there's nothing but questions about why this is the outcome? This is related to following developments in the amateur and youth levels - all those superstars you talk about started out as kids playing at the local field. Having seen kids develop into professional athletes in other sports I know how exciting it is to see that development over the course of years. I'd love to see some local kid become the next soccer superstar (actually, there's a member of the USWNT from my town - she grew up playing in the same AYSO program as my kids so there is a direct path to The Dream for kids who want that). Knowing that the best athletes in the US are not playing soccer right now, they're playing basketball and football, it forces the question, what if... That's why watching the USMNT, as well as all the other competition, can't be separated from the question "what is the potential of the US to put together an elite soccer program?"

Anyway...

Shut up and dance.

On the menu today...

日本がんばれー!!!!
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I find the best approach is complete indifference to sports of all kinds...ok, maybe slightly interested in tennis...barely
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:50 pm I find the best approach is complete indifference to sports of all kinds...
That's where my inclinations are tending these day. But habits are still hooked in. Its an interesting lens to examine how grasping at pleasure and distraction play out. Overall, my interest in sports has been fading over the years. My team, the Buffalo Bills, though, are in the midst of a generational run at the Superbowl. Given the history of the team, its hard to look away.

"Give me chastity and temperance—but not yet!"
-St. Augustine

Japan-Croatia in over time... both sides are wiped out and getting sloppy.
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

I feel sorry for Japan going out on penalties. It’s a horrible way to resolve a stalemate. I prefer the “ Sudden Death” format …first to score goes through. It’s exiting and does not rest on one individual.
But they did well to get so far.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Some of the worst penalties I've seen, maybe only bested by England, who are the all-time greatest at being bad at penalty shootouts when it really matters (see England vs. Italy, as a recent example). Japanese players were visibly timid, shy, and stressed out. And on top of that basically passed the ball to the Croatian keeper.

A penalty shootout in something like a World Cup is the most nerve-racking ordeal you can go through as a shooter, so of course it's easy to talk about being better at it. Theory is always easier than practice. Still, take a look at some of the best players in the world, and how they do it, in particular Brazilian players: Confident, authoritative, shoots the ball hard, fast, and high up in either corner.

That said, two thumbs up to Japan, who had many chances at beating Croatia in this match, and honestly should've. They can go home proud though, as they beat two former world champions in Germany and Spain.
Malcolm wrote:I find the best approach is complete indifference to sports of all kinds...ok, maybe slightly interested in tennis...barely
It's impossible for me to not watch the football World Cup given how many years I was involved with the sport, at a near hyper-religious fanatic obsession with a passionate energy that could've fueled half a country through any winter. Today that is not the case, and haven't been since around 2004, and I am honestly really glad it's a thing of the past. But I know what kind of passion fans experience when they play it or watch it, so I can appreciate the enthusiasm.

Still, I better like it today that, when any sort of sports event is over, regardless of results, it's over. No worries. And then life goes on.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Queequeg wrote: are in the midst of a generational run at the Superbowl. Given the history of the team, its hard to look away.
The NFL acts like a drug you get high you get low there's nothing quite like the prospect of winning a superbowl

Been a fan for years of the Saints that's why I'm cynical
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Good grief, those penalty shots by Japan were atrocious, embarassing really. Shame, I was hoping they could follow through to the quarter-finals.
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:26 pm
Queequeg wrote: are in the midst of a generational run at the Superbowl. Given the history of the team, its hard to look away.
The NFL acts like a drug you get high you get low there's nothing quite like the prospect of winning a superbowl

Been a fan for years of the Saints that's why I'm cynical
Meh. Lived through two decades of lost Sundays followed by too many dismal Mondays where hope was a curse that I learned to snuff. I kept coming back... I honestly don't know why I stayed so tuned for years knowing the team down to third string offensive linemen and practice squad moves. I'm hoping for a Superbowl win this year to get that monkey off our backs and then I can take a step back and embrace becoming the casual fan my heart has been tending to in recent years.

Saints had a good run with Brees and got a ring to show for it. But, I sympathize that there were a lot of disappointments during that period to. Not everyone gets the satisfaction of rooting for the Patriots during Brady's run. My better self should remain aloof, but I confess I am happy to see Pats fans who have been unbearable over the last 20 years go get lost in the NFL wilderness of mediocrity for a good long while.
Norwegian wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:10 pm Some of the worst penalties I've seen, maybe only bested by England, who are the all-time greatest at being bad at penalty shootouts when it really matters (see England vs. Italy, as a recent example). Japanese players were visibly timid, shy, and stressed out. And on top of that basically passed the ball to the Croatian keeper.
Svalaksana wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:36 pm Good grief, those penalty shots by Japan were atrocious, embarassing really. Shame, I was hoping they could follow through to the quarter-finals.
Sadly too true.

Asano, who has been solid throughout the tournament, was the only guy with conviction. Disappointing that it ended so pathetically.

Now, without a horse in this race, I can just enjoy the rest of the tournament without any investment.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Brazil quickly scores 1-0 against South Korea, and half the team dances together on the pitch, to the rhythm of the drums of Brazilian fans.'

Edit: 2-0, and more dancing by the Brazilians.

Edit: 3-0, second best goal of the tournament by Richarlison, who now have the two best goals of the tournament so far. What a beautiful goal from beginning till end. And yes, more dancing from Brazil. Including the Brazilian reserves and their coach.

Edit: 4-0. More happy dancing.
reiun

Post by reiun »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:50 pm I find the best approach is complete indifference to sports of all kinds...ok, maybe slightly interested in tennis...barely

For me, teammate connections were a precursor to sangha relations.
I don't compete against teams anymore, just personal goals swimming or lifting weights. Not fitting into sports is, to me, a missed opportunity for physical and mental health.

Return to “Lounge”