World Cup 2022

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
DNS
Site Admin

Re: World Cup 2022

Post by DNS »

While we're in a break in the competition (quarter finals start tomorrow), I'll share some of my experiences with team sports.

I like watching team sports, but mostly American football (NFL), soccer ("regular" football for the rest of the world), and basketball.

Hockey is okay, but goes back and forth too fast and at least appears like a bunch of guys skating around and making prayer shots (random shots and praying that it goes in). I'm sure there's more strategy than that, but that's what it looks like.

Baseball games are too long (no countdown clock) and it's not uncommon for them to last four hours or more.

I played placekicker (American football) and was pretty good but of course no where good enough for NFL or an elite college scholarship. I kicked barefoot (a fad in the early 1980s) and so as a kicker, I naturally like soccer too.

Trivia fact: in the late 1970s and early 1980s many NFL teams looked to professional foreign soccer players to find good kickers because most Americans didn't know how to kick "soccer style" and were using the front of their foot (conventional style), instead of the side & top, which is much more accurate (to use the side & top).
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

Mincemeat pies 🥧
That’s what our mothers think. They don’t think of kicking a ball in a game where one of the teams turns sour.
It teaches nothing.
The ball ⚽️ is meant to get the rowdy ones out of one’s hair.
Sorry, you had to find it out this way!
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

DNS wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:43 pm ...Trivia fact: in the late 1970s and early 1980s many NFL teams looked to professional foreign soccer players to find good kickers because most Americans didn't know how to kick "soccer style" and were using the front of their foot (conventional style), instead of the side & top, which is much more accurate (to use the side & top).
NFL teams have grabbed a few Australian Rules footballers more recently than that, too, but again because they could kick further and more accurately.

And that's about all I know because I don't watch sports except for the short grabs on TV news. Usually I would rather do something/anything, however badly, rather than watch, however good they are.

:coffee:
Kim
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

DNS wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:43 pm While we're in a break in the competition (quarter finals start tomorrow), I'll share some of my experiences with team sports.

I like watching team sports, but mostly American football (NFL), soccer ("regular" football for the rest of the world), and basketball.

Hockey is okay, but goes back and forth too fast and at least appears like a bunch of guys skating around and making prayer shots (random shots and praying that it goes in). I'm sure there's more strategy than that, but that's what it looks like.

Baseball games are too long (no countdown clock) and it's not uncommon for them to last four hours or more.

I played placekicker (American football) and was pretty good but of course no where good enough for NFL or an elite college scholarship. I kicked barefoot (a fad in the early 1980s) and so as a kicker, I naturally like soccer too.

Trivia fact: in the late 1970s and early 1980s many NFL teams looked to professional foreign soccer players to find good kickers because most Americans didn't know how to kick "soccer style" and were using the front of their foot (conventional style), instead of the side & top, which is much more accurate (to use the side & top).
Heartbreak for the Raiders last night. My sympathies. But, Baker is a good kid. Happy for him when things go his way.

I think Janikowski was originally a soccer guy, wasn't he? So was the Punt God, Matt Araiza, who has a nasty cloud hanging over him.

If you have a strong leg and nerves of steel, place kicker is a pretty good gig. So is punter. And long snapper. Probably works out to some hourly wage of about $250,000/hr.

The NFL has been trying to expand, playing games in London every year. They've been talking about games in Mexico City. They've also had a program where teams can carry one or two players on the practice squad from abroad. The Bills carried a guy, Christian Wade, on their practice squad a few years ago. He was a pretty good rugby player from England. He flashed ability in the preseason but never made the squad. It might be something to do with not fully getting the concepts, though he wasn't asked to do much except carry the ball and elude defenders. I suppose the biggest job for running backs, aside from carrying the ball, is blocking, and maybe that's what he didn't pick up. Pretty critical skill since if you screw up you could get the quarterback killed. I don't know if he was ever really given a fair chance, though.

The strategy with hockey and putting those shots on net from all over the ice is that you're looking for the rebound at which point its a mad dash test of strength and will. Also, when attacking, you don't often take the puck in and try to make a play immediately - maybe you get one shot. Instead, since its near impossible to carry the puck in to the offensive zone without getting checked, you dump the puck down behind the net and then go fight for it. Once you get possession, you can set up a perimeter and move the puck around until you get a shot. The thing with hockey is that its full contact on a relatively confined space, so even the best stick handlers are only going to be as effective as they can elude body contact from the defenders. Hockey players are probably the best and strongest all around athletes with incredible conditioning and incredible strength. You're basically sprinting the whole time, which is why shifts are only about a minute at a time. Hockey is much better live than on TV. You guys have a good team in Vegas.

With you on baseball. I used to watch it a lot, but with the analytics, the game has gotten incredibly dull and predictable. Just a bunch of big guys hitting home runs or striking out, and guys hurling 98mph fast balls. Not a lot of strategy anymore. Not a lot of finesse pitching. Basically unwatchable which is why I think viewership is down. Still, its fun to go to a game once in a while and just hang out while a baseball game happens. I used to take my Sunday paper to Yankee Stadium and sit in the bleachers for $8, sip coffee and read the paper while the game was happening.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Tonight's match between Argentina and Holland will be a close match. The Dutch are certainly eager to revenge their defeat at the semi final eight years ago. Yes Holland team is a pale shadow since then but isn't that the same scenario with Argentina?
Life is like a game, either you win or lose!
Life is like a fight, either you live or die!
Life is like a show, either you laugh or cry!
Life is like a dream, either you know or not!!!
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Miorita wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:36 pm Mincemeat pies 🥧
That’s what our mothers think. They don’t think of kicking a ball in a game where one of the teams turns sour.
It teaches nothing.
The ball ⚽️ is meant to get the rowdy ones out of one’s hair.
Sorry, you had to find it out this way!

I know you're kidding but, I disagree. Sports teach kids a lot of things - least of all get them involved in physical activity. It teaches team play (if a team game), resilience, effort, the benefits of practice, consequences. You learn how to win and you learn how to lose - you don't get trophies for losing or just showing up. And its fun.

I understand sports are not for all kids, just as reading is not for everyone, or whatever... we all have our capacities and predilections.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:41 pm
Genjo Conan wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:55 pm
Genjo Conan wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:05 pm There's plenty of time; I firmly believe England can still screw this up
Ah. Well, nevertheless
France will be a test see if we can stop Mbappe
So far, Mbappe scored in every single match he started. Can England stop him from scoring? Doubtful. The only chance for England to beat France is to go on the offensive and outscore them.

However, will England do that? Unlikely, they almost always play defensive and counter against teams they perceive as stronger especially during knockout stages during recent history.
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

I agree Mbappe, Girou,and Curtois will be too much for England.
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

Kai lord wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:50 pm Tonight's match between Argentina and Holland will be a close match. The Dutch are certainly eager to revenge their defeat at the semi final eight years ago. Yes Holland team is a pale shadow since then but isn't that the same scenario with Argentina?
Yes an interesting game, and one I wouldn’t want to predict.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Queequeg wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:22 pm Heartbreak for the Raiders last night. My sympathies. But, Baker is a good kid. Happy for him when things go his way.
:D Raiders are now 5-8 not much chance for playoffs anymore. 6 of the 9 losses were by 6 points or less. So if the defense could have held off 6 or 7 points, they could have been looking at an 11-2 season right now. But that's okay, just like with soccer at the World Cup, when some of my choices start losing, I revise my list of who to root for. :tongue: So now, I'm rooting for Tampa Bay (Tom Brady is into TM and is semi-vegetarian). Or the Dallas Cowboys (went to UT-Dallas for bachelor's and doctorate). I find little nuances like that on who to root for.
I think Janikowski was originally a soccer guy, wasn't he?
Yes, a Polish soccer player; one of many European soccer players to go to the NFL for playing placekicker.
ManiThePainter

Post by ManiThePainter »

Croatia has an absolutely solid defence but looks lacklustre in the attack. Gvardiol might be the best defender in the world currently.

We're in extra time now boys and girls.
"Don't mind me, just trying to find the nearest exit"
- someone stuck in Samsara... or maybe lost in Walmart
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

And it's 1-0 to Brazil, with an incredibly nice Neymar goal, who is now tied with Pelé in terms of goal scored while representing Brazil.
ManiThePainter

Post by ManiThePainter »

Oh my Buddha!

Croatia is back in the game!

1-1 in the final minutes.
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Have to give where credit is due, Croatia is good at penalty!! :twothumbsup:

Can't believe Europe is going to win WC for the fifth times in a row!!!
Last edited by Kai lord on Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ManiThePainter

Post by ManiThePainter »

Never go to penalties with Croatia.

They are the undisputed masters of penalties.

Just amazing.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Oh well. World Cup is over for me. May the least obnoxious team win. Preferably not England. Also not France. Also not Morocco.
ManiThePainter

Post by ManiThePainter »

Norwegian wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:58 pm Preferably not England.
This one I agree with.
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Don't worry, guys, Croatia is going to game world cup through penalties.

:stirthepot:
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Kai lord wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:05 pm Don't worry, guys, Croatia is going to game world cup through penalties.

That would be such a let down.

Win the World Cup without ever actually winning? Yuck.

"beep beep beep beep"

The sound of Croatia backing into the semis.
ManiThePainter

Post by ManiThePainter »

Queequeg wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:15 pm
Kai lord wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:05 pm Don't worry, guys, Croatia is going to game world cup through penalties.

That would be such a let down.

Win the World Cup without ever actually winning? Yuck.

"beep beep beep beep"

The sound of Croatia backing into the semis.
I mean, they almost did exactly that back in 2018.

Return to “Lounge”