World Cup 2022

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
DNS
Site Admin

Re: World Cup 2022

Post by DNS »

Correct as toenail noted, GOAT = Greatest Of All Time

Although, I still like Pele and he still holds the record for most World Cup wins with 3 (1958, 1962, 1970).

Messi has an Olympic gold medal (2008) and has won the Ballon d'Or (Golden Ball) award for best soccer player of the year, a record 7 times. And numerous other awards and records, too many to list, see his wikipedia page.

So if not the GOAT, then at least a close second place to Pele.
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Giovanni wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:06 pm I would guess that the tournament, and the final in particular, has made many new converts to football.
When played at that level there is no other sport that comes close in terms of excitement and intensity.
Argentina vs France was the best match both in 2018 and 2022 and its not a coincidence they were because they have two world class players playing against each other and at their peak during a high stake game and both entered the zone at the most critical moments to bring the game forwards and in addition, the back and fro between the scoreline made It felt almost like staged except that its not.

Trust me when I said, you would never see matches like this again in years to come as its hard to see all necessary ingredients coming together again in one match much a less a finale.

If Messi is our generation version of Diego Maradona, then Mbappe is our generation version of Pele, how rare is it to have players of Pele and Maradona caliber to be born around the same time and playing against each other in the final of a world tournament?
Life is like a game, either you win or lose!
Life is like a fight, either you live or die!
Life is like a show, either you laugh or cry!
Life is like a dream, either you know or not!!!
ManiThePainter

Post by ManiThePainter »

Definitely the greatest game I've ever seen. Some might come close, like La Manita of 2010 (Barça beating Real Madrid 5-0), the 2011 Champions League Final (Barça vs Man United 3-1), La Remontada (Barça getting a 4-0 drubbing in their first Champions league match against PSG, only to utterly humiliate them 6-1 in the second leg)... but this one had me rolling on the floor, hiding behind the couch and running to the restroom 10 times due to a nervous bladder (la remontada had me jumping on the couch though). Hell, I might've shed a fear tears at the end.

It's incredibly rare that you get to see this kind of Hollywood story in samsara:
Kai lord wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:17 pm Mbappe is our generation version of Pele
As much as I like Mbappe (and I do. I think he's an absolutely amazing player. Definitely one of best currently playing), it's too early to make this comparison. Messi has only managed to stay at the pinnacle due to continued adaptation and changing his role. He went from a fast and fragile winger in his early days, to a number 9 striker with hummingbird reflexes, to a muscular playmaker (seriously, he's crazy strong, like a little tank) with an incredible passing accuracy and assist rate to make up for his loss of speed. Neymar has also made a similar adaptation, and Cristiano Ronaldo also changed his game (although he became more of a finisher/poacher, which is now catching up to him as he's losing burst speed which is so integral to that role). Mbappe on the other hand is a clinical forward with absurd speed, but if he doesn't change his game in a few years then he will fall behind. Football history is full of promising players that fell short of their ultimate potential and only very few manage to succesfully change their game to accommodate aging and loss of speed.
"Don't mind me, just trying to find the nearest exit"
- someone stuck in Samsara... or maybe lost in Walmart
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

DNS wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:18 pm Correct as toenail noted, GOAT = Greatest Of All Time

Although, I still like Pele and he still holds the record for most World Cup wins with 3 (1958, 1962, 1970).

Messi has an Olympic gold medal (2008) and has won the Ballon d'Or (Golden Ball) award for best soccer player of the year, a record 7 times. And numerous other awards and records, too many to list, see his wikipedia page.

So if not the GOAT, then at least a close second place to Pele.
More of his records here, including an off-pitch one. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-21/ ... /101796082

:smile:
Kim
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

5 million fans joined the party on the streets in Buenos Aires. The team of champions had to (edit) move from their bus into helicopters. They then were waving from there to the people.

https://www.onlinenews72h.com/chaos-at- ... -team-bus/

Anyhow, I wouldn't like to join such a feast.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Next (men's) World Cup in 2026 in:

Estados Unidos de América (USA)
y
Estados Unidos Mexicanos

and some snowy place up north

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2026_FIFA_World_Cup
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

I wonder where the final will be played? I'd guess LA.

There's a lot of geography between the venues. That will make it difficult to catch a lot of matches but will present an excuse for some road trips.

It makes sense to award events like the World Cup and Olympics to hosts that don't need to build out the facilities - such expenditures often do not payoff and developing world hosts are left with buildings that have no use and a drain on resources to maintain.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

DNS wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:56 pm Next (men's) World Cup in 2026 in:

Estados Unidos de América (USA)
y
Estados Unidos Mexicanos

and some snowy place up north

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2026_FIFA_World_Cup
Thanks for the ( ) :smile:

Next World Cup will be held in Australia.

:thumbsup:

Kim
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:00 am Next World Cup will be held in Australia.

:thumbsup:
That's right, the Women's event. That's where the Americans do very well.

Only about 7 months away!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_FIFA ... _World_Cup
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

Miorita

Post by Miorita »

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Miorita wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:10 pm Pelé, the Global Face of Soccer, Dies at 82

I’m stunned. R.I.P.?
candle1.png
candle1.png (41.6 KiB) Viewed 539 times
Arguably, the GOAT (greatest of all time) for soccer and perhaps even for all sports.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

You might like this - Pele in Australia.

:reading: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-30/ ... /101816840

:namaste:
Kim
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

How good was Pelé actually?

He was really good and declared a National Treasure by the Brazilian President.
He stopped a Nigerian war as the people gathered to watch him play.
But I went away convinced I was undone by someone who was not born on the same planet as the rest of us. - Eusebio

Going from white & black tv to color tv. Wasn't that a great change ? :jawdrop:

Mod note 2023: The world cup 2922 is past. Therfore this topic is being locked.

Return to “Lounge”