Avalokiteshvara or Amitabha in Tantric practice?

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
nomono

Avalokiteshvara or Amitabha in Tantric practice?

Post by nomono »

Are there higher Tantras revolving around Avalokiteshvara. Amitabha or the form of Shakyamuni? Like there is the Kalachakra Tantra revolving around the Kalachakra deity, and the Chakrasamvara Tantra revolving the deity Chakrasamvara.

Is there the equivalent to other more well known deities like Avalokiteshvara or Amitabha? A higher annutarayoga tantra or highest tantra revolving around these Buddhas or others like Tara or Manjushri?

Or is the practice revolving for instance say Avalokiteshvara only limited to sutra and dharani pracrice, and maximally to some "lesser" tantras?

Is there a system/tradition that brings about buddhahood on revolving deep Avalokiteshvara practice?

Thank you in advance.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Avalokiteshvara or Amitabha in Tantric practice?

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Actual Tantras I’m not sure, but there are anuttara and anuyoga sadhanas involving them.

I had a long group conversation with a Khenpo once about the main Chenrezig practice I am familiar with in the Sakya tradition, and he concluded it was annutarayoga. I am also familiar with an anuyoga Chenrezig practice ChNN transmitted.

At least in Sakya I don’t think these practices are as high -in practice- as Hevajra, etc. though.

In my experience there is also not always a clear answer, no uniform agreement among teachers as to which class of Tantra a given practice belongs, ymmv.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

There are termas around Chenrezig.
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

nomono wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:35 pm Are there higher Tantras revolving around Avalokiteshvara. Amitabha or the form of Shakyamuni? Like there is the Kalachakra Tantra revolving around the Kalachakra deity, and the Chakrasamvara Tantra revolving the deity Chakrasamvara.

Is there the equivalent to other more well known deities like Avalokiteshvara or Amitabha? A higher annutarayoga tantra or highest tantra revolving around these Buddhas or others like Tara or Manjushri?

Or is the practice revolving for instance say Avalokiteshvara only limited to sutra and dharani pracrice, and maximally to some "lesser" tantras?

Is there a system/tradition that brings about buddhahood on revolving deep Avalokiteshvara practice?

Thank you in advance.
For Manjusri, it will be Mañjuśrī-Nāma-Saṃgīti, classified under non dual highest yoga tantra along with kalachakra and hevajra.

For his wrathful and peaceful form merge together, it will be the Vajrabhairava's Three Rounds of tantra, belongs to the father HYT.
Life is like a game, either you win or lose!
Life is like a fight, either you live or die!
Life is like a show, either you laugh or cry!
Life is like a dream, either you know or not!!!
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Avalokiteshvara Jinasagara is HYT and there are several lineages of practice relating to this deity. There are other, less common forms of HYT Avalokiteshvara as well.

Karma Chagme’s Amitabha terma is also HYT.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”