What does it mean when authors talk about "seeing the Buddha" as a result of practice?

Mdg137

What does it mean when authors talk about "seeing the Buddha" as a result of practice?

Post by Mdg137 »

Is this a case of literal sight of the Buddha, as in a vision of Amitabha? Do they mean a more metaphorical seeing, as in, seeing the Buddhanature in the world around us and within us? Is it both? Or is it neither of these things and I am completely missing the buck on understanding this phrase?
PadmaVonSamba

Re: What does it mean when authors talk about "seeing the Buddha" as a result of practice?

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Examples?
Context?
Mdg137 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:37 am Is this a case of literal sight of the Buddha, as in a vision of Amitabha? Do they mean a more metaphorical seeing, as in, seeing the Buddhanature in the world around us and within us? Is it both? Or is it neither of these things and I am completely missing the buck on understanding this phrase?
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Mdg137

Re: What does it mean when authors talk about "seeing the Buddha" as a result of practice?

Post by Mdg137 »

Forgive me, I am very foolish and have found an answer to my own question, soon after posting. The resource describes seeking an auspicious response, which initially is what confused me. The link to said resource is http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/pureland.pdf.

The quote that answers the question
To see the Buddha of the Western Pure Land is to see all the Buddhas of the ten directions; to see the Buddhas of the ten directions is to see the Buddha of the Self-Nature. Once the practitioner has seen the Buddha of the Self-Nature, great capacities and power of expedients will develop naturally.
The quote is preceded by a number of examples of literal sightings, thus answering the question I had originally asked. Apologies, but I hope the resource can be of some use to folks here. However, I confess this is a "asking a question during a movie that is immediately answered seconds after, by the movie"-moment on my part. :oops:
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

It's also one of those things where the answer to all of your questions is yes. Literal and metaphorical seeing are the same at a certain point.
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Well, you don't see one with your eye faculty.

Shaun :namaste:
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

zerwe wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:19 am Well, you don't see one with your eye faculty.

Shaun :namaste:
Metaphor just means a transferred meaning. A hand gesture, therefore, is a metaphor that is seen with your eye faculty. This doesn't mean you cannot see a metaphor.

If one is born into the transformed land, yes, you will have sense faculties by which you will see things that stand for Dharma teachings—there, Amitābha teaches through non-verbal signs, such as bird calls, the sound of the wind in the trees and blowing bells, etc. These sounds give rise to the recollection of the Triple Gem. These are all metaphors and they are also before your eyes.

If one is born into the fulfilled land, one realises suchness upon birth without the need for faculties other than, perhaps, the faculty of the five wisdoms.

In this life, if one sees a manifestation of Amitabha as a product of his compassionate working, it is with one's eye faculty. But one can also "see Amitābha" through another sign in this life, such as seeing the written form of the Nembutsu on a scroll. Seeing the written Nembutsu is therefore seeing the Buddha. Hearing the Nembutsu is hearing the Buddha and knowing him.
Tannisho wrote:But with a foolish being full of blind passions, in this fleeting world- this burning house- all matters without exception are empty and false, totally without truth and sincerity. The nembutsu alone is true and real.

Return to “Pure Land”