Lakshmi/ Mahashri Sutra

Orgyen Tara

Lakshmi/ Mahashri Sutra

Post by Orgyen Tara »

Hi all,

I guess I could have put this on a broader forum being a sutra question and all but this is home base for now

Does anyone know, when it is said that this sutra is to be recited 3x, does this mean 3x at one sitting, or in 3 parts of the day (morning afternoon and night)? Also would one actually spend time on the mantra or just recite once, 3x as you are reciting the sutra.. or?

Also any personal knowledge from good teachers or anecdotes about it appreciated.

Also just my deity/archetype symbology nerd wants to know, is Lakshmi’s owl a positive or negative omen? I’ve read so many things online. In some cases it’s said to be not just her vehicle, but a warning sort of omen usually to do with poor discrimination around utilizing material resources. In other cases it’s said to be her sister who is sort of the opposite of Lakshmi and we could say also not a good omen. In other cases I’ve read that the owl symbolizes positive things including wisdom, discrimination or temperance etc.

Finally, it seems Lakshmi is perhaps interchangeable with her Buddhist version Vasudhara, and/or the 11th Tara Norgynma. Anyone want to take the floor on that lol?

Thanks 🙏
pemachophel

Re: Lakshmi/ Mahashri Sutra

Post by pemachophel »

It's the dharani/mantra that you say three times each time you do this, not the whole sutra.

I've been doing this for years every day. I received it from Acharya Lama Dawa Chodrag. He gave it to many, many of His students.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Orgyen Tara

Post by Orgyen Tara »

Ah thankyou so much pemachopal, that’s exactly what I was after.

Would you perchance have any more to say on this topic you are so familiar with? Just anything at all, as far as inspiring or interesting nuggets go 💎🙏

Ok one question I have for you is how would reciting this sutra differ from reciting the Vasudhara sutra? Are they more or less interchangeable? I’ve read that Vasudhara is the Buddhist version of Lakshmi, you read repeatedly online that Vasudhara is more popular with Buddhist laypeople while monastics tend to rely solely on Tara (meanwhile, one of Tara’s 21 emanations also corresponds with Vasudhara and hence I suppose Lakshmi?). I wonder if Lama Dawa taught a specific application or time (as far as circumstances), where Lakshmi is the one to employ
Last edited by Orgyen Tara on Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Yes, I recently heard a Lama say Vasudhara is the Buddhist version of Lakshmi. Hadn't heard that before. Not sure where that comes from. Vasudhara is also named Vasundhara, Dridha, and Prithvi Devi, the last two being names of Sai Nying Lhamo, the Goddess of the Earth. She has many other names. Vasudhara is also the Yum/Consort of Dzambhala.

According to Lama Dawa, Mahashri is Lakshmi. Both Mahashri and Vasudhara are wealth Deities. As to why one would pray to one over the other, I think that depends on personal preference in turn based on past-life karma. Both have the ability of blessing one with wealth -- spiritual and mundane. Personally, I pray to both. I say the Mahashri Sutra every day without fail. I only say the Vasudhara Dharani on Saturdays when I have a little more time since it is somewhat longish. I also do the 108 Names of Jambhala every day. Because I practice Saraswati, it's important to also practice wealth Deities.

I know none of this really answers your questions. Sorry I can't tell you more. Bottom line, go with what you feel.

Maybe one more thing: Orgyen Kusum Lingpa, the contemporary Terton from Golok believed that doing Jambhala/Dzambhala practice is important during this time of the five degenerations in order to reverse or at least slow down the degradation of wealth energy (cha yang). If we as practitioners have no wealth, it's very hard to practice the Vajrayana in an abundant and heroic way, let alone have the time to devote to practice.

Good luck & best wishes.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Orgyen Tara

Post by Orgyen Tara »

This was extremely helpful and interesting PC, thanks so much. It does clarify a lot. I was actually prescribed Vasudhara by a lama I trust but have had sort of symbols related specifically to Lakshmi popping up in dream and a bit in so-called ‘outside’ phenomena which, it’s all just a shot in the dark but in times of crisis I tend to pay more attention to those things like signs you might see in a dangerous part of a road.. “go this way” lol. Truth is both are so easy to do in just a few minutes. I think I’ll do as you do, and cover the bases.

I do a lot of Tara practice and was feeling a little queasy about incorporating Hindu goddesses vs ‘my’ Tara, but this whole Vasudhara situation and then looking into Lakshmi has opened up a whole new level of research and caused me to realize there is no conflict, for example if Lord Buddha Himself prescribes Lakshmi there is no need to worry.

I guess I have had a limited mind about the Hindu deities beyond the standard ‘some were converted to be Dharma protectors’. It would seem that some are high level bodhisattvas or even enlightened and there’s no need to have such a narrow mind about these ancient energies/entities/forces but honestly it’s still above my paygrade to really understand it. For example I had read something DKR said about Tara seamlessly overlapping with certain Hindu goddesses but again anyone reading this take w a huge grain of salt/don’t quote me.. because I have no idea how to find the quote for you and I’m not saying I really understand it other than to try to relax more, be less uptight.

That's very interesting about Sarasvati I just came across something about that in my research, about why you would add the wealth deities. Also I love knowing all the various names of a Dharma protector or deity I’m not so familiar with, it helps me to put the pieces of the puzzle together a bit more..

Thanks again 🙏
Last edited by Orgyen Tara on Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Nyingma”