Any recommended books?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Tez

Any recommended books?

Post by Tez »

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has any book recommendations. I'm just a few weeks into my journey as a Buddhist, and I've been trying to read more and better understand the tenets of buddhism. When I was at the buddhist centre I was recommend and bought a couple of books in their store: The Buddha's Noble Eightfold Path, and the Ten Pillars of Buddhism, both by Sangharakshita. I've been reading the first one and it's given me great insight about the foundations of the Buddha's teachings. I've also bought Buddhism: Plain and Simple by Steve Hagan, and Buddhism: A Short Introduction by Damien Keown, so I've got a few to start with. I'm keen to build up my library, and would appreciate recommendations. Books with the basics and fundamentals would be great, but I want to understand all aspects of Buddhism, so anything interesting will be helpful (academic, religious texts, any schools, weird and wonderful).

I was also wondering if it's worth reading books written by or with the Dalai Lama. I've been a bit sceptical about them as they always seem to end up in self-help sections in bookstores, and i thought they might be a bit more about self-help than buddhism. I'm not letting that put me off, I found a second hand copy of The Art of Happiness he wrote with Howard C. Cutler, and I'll definitely read it, I'm just wondering if I should read him now whilst I'm new. If so, which ones would people recommend?

I'm really enjoying my journey so far and can't get enough reading done, so any recommendations would be really appreciated.

Thank you x
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Any recommended books?

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Tez wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:45 pm Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has any book recommendations. I'm just a few weeks into my journey as a Buddhist, and I've been trying to read more and better understand the tenets of buddhism. When I was at the buddhist centre I was recommend and bought a couple of books in their store: The Buddha's Noble Eightfold Path, and the Ten Pillars of Buddhism, both by Sangharakshita. I've been reading the first one and it's given me great insight about the foundations of the Buddha's teachings. I've also bought Buddhism: Plain and Simple by Steve Hagan, and Buddhism: A Short Introduction by Damien Keown, so I've got a few to start with. I'm keen to build up my library, and would appreciate recommendations. Books with the basics and fundamentals would be great, but I want to understand all aspects of Buddhism, so anything interesting will be helpful (academic, religious texts, any schools, weird and wonderful).

I was also wondering if it's worth reading books written by or with the Dalai Lama. I've been a bit sceptical about them as they always seem to end up in self-help sections in bookstores, and i thought they might be a bit more about self-help than buddhism. I'm not letting that put me off, I found a second hand copy of The Art of Happiness he wrote with Howard C. Cutler, and I'll definitely read it, I'm just wondering if I should read him now whilst I'm new. If so, which ones would people recommend?

I'm really enjoying my journey so far and can't get enough reading done, so any recommendations would be really appreciated.

Thank you x
I enjoyed Heart of The Buddha’s Teachings by TNH and a Profound Mind by His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

HHDL writes some “lighter” stuff, but the book mentioned above is not light, and does a pretty good job of communicating Mahayana Buddhism generally, and different philosophical schools.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Nalanda

Post by Nalanda »

The Library of Wisdom & Compassion by the Dalai Lama is a must in my opinion.
IF YOU PRACTICE WITH A STRONG BELIEF IN WHAT
YOU ARE DOING, THEN THERE IS NO LIMIT TO WHAT
YOU CAN ACCOMPLISH WITH YOUR PRACTICE.

CHAKUNG JIGME WANGDRAK RINPOCHE

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Depends on what you want really. Thankfully nowadays there is a plenty of books to choose from.

If you want something new and a bit easier to read then look for names as Pema Chödron, Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche, Thubten Chödron, HH Dalailama, Lama Zopa Rinpoche, Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche, etc.

Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche, Thubten Chödron, Lama Zopa Rinpoche and Sakya Trinzin have a plenty of materials online and free on their oficial websites.

Then there are the classics. Where I can fully recommend Shantideva's Bodhisattvacharyavatara (ideally commentary on it by Khenpo Kunpal), Lama Tsongkhapa's Lamrim books (avoid Lamrim Chenmo as it is probably bit too detailed for beginning IMHO), then Gampopa's Jewel Ornament (personally my favorite as it is extremely easy to understand despite being so old) and ofc Patrul Rinpoche's Words of My Perfect Teacher (most accessible book and despite being a commentary on nyingma ngöndro it covers the basics of the path very nicely).
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Nicholas2727

Post by Nicholas2727 »

There are a ton of options to read and at the beginning of your studies it can be nice to read a bit from different traditions to see what interests you most. I think the few you have will be great starting points, if you are interested in learning more about specific traditions there are a few suggestions. For zen I found Compass of Zen to be a great book that lays out Buddhism as a whole quite well, while also explaining how Zen fits with other Buddhist traditions. From there if zen interests you, you can choose to read more about specific schools (Soto, Rinzai, Seon, Chan, Thien). For Tibetan Buddhism I found Indestructible Truth and Secret of the Vajra World to be amazing. Together they explain almost anything you will want to know about the basics of Tibetan Buddhism (history, schools, beliefs, practices, etc). From there you can choose specific schools to focus on that may interest you. I also found Orthodox Chinese Buddhism by Sheng Yen to be a great book since it is a Q&A book explaining much of Chinese Buddhism. I have not personally read much about Pure Land so I can not offer suggestions there.

Like another poster mentioned, Thich Nhat Hanh's Heart of the Buddhas Teaching is another great starting point. It will be similar to other beginner Buddhism books, although you may enjoy his style and want to read more from him.
reiun

Post by reiun »

The Rinzai Zen Way: A Guide to Practice by Meido Moore Roshi. Elegant and straightforward. The first 77 pages introduce the Rinzai Zen Way, and last 75 pages cover Practice, with photos. Includes notes, glossary, suggested readings and an index. Meido checks in here and might be available occasionally to consult on questions, abbot duties and travel schedule permitting. (Amazon has Kindle and paperback.)
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Queen Elizabeth II wrote: One book that no Buddhist worth his salt should ever be without is Living with the Lama by Lobsang Rampa. It's a collection of profound teachings from an advanced Bodhisattva, who telepathically dictated then while incarnated as a cat called Fifi Greywhiskers.
:toilet:

Humour has its place in Buddhism and therefore on DW but it is not in this beginners' topic so I have removed this post.

:namaste:
Kim
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Thank you x
You will find lots of recommendations on this thread - https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?t=31748 - although it hasn't been specially put together for beginners.

:reading:
Kim
PSM

Post by PSM »

Tez wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:45 pm Just wondering if anyone has any book recommendations.
If you're in London, get yourself to Watkins Books, they'll sort you out. My favourite bookshop by far!

https://www.watkinsbooks.com/
laic

Post by laic »

PSM wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:19 pm

If you're in London, get yourself to Watkins Books, they'll sort you out. My favourite bookshop by far!
Oh yes! Down Cecil Court!

:smile:
Protecting oneself one protects others
Protecting others one protects oneself
laic

Post by laic »

Although we are on a Mahayana forum where the Dhamma is the Dharma ( :smile: ) I would recommend "The Vision of Dhamma" by the late Theravada Elder Nyanaponika Thera.....born Sigmund Feniger, a German Jew.

It contains various essays written over the years as well as containing a brief introduction to the basic tenets of Buddhism. Also a fine introduction by Eric Fromm.

Just my take, but I have always been grateful that I was first introduced to the Theravada tradition prior to jumping into the Mahayana.

Better, "The Vision of Dhamma" is available as a free PDF download. Just google it.
Protecting oneself one protects others
Protecting others one protects oneself
dawn of peace

Post by dawn of peace »

Thank you x
religious texts:

good for beginners:
The Medicine Buddha Sutra
http://www.cttbusa.org/medicine_master/sutra.htm
The Amitabha Sutra
http://www.cttbusa.org/amitabha/amitabha.htm
The ksitigarbha sutra
http://www.cttbusa.org/ess/earthstore_contents.htm

good for intermediate students:
The Flower Garland Sutra
http://www.cttbusa.org/avatamsaka/avata ... s.asp.html
The Lotus Sutra
http://www.cttbusa.org/lotus/lotus_contents.asp.html

good for advanced students:
The Vimalakirti Sutra
https://www2.kenyon.edu/Depts/Religion/ ... akirti.htm
The Vajra Sutra
http://www.cttbusa.org/vajra/vajrasutra.asp.html

schools:
"The Great Treatise on the Great Perfection of Wisdom"by Nagarjuna (Madhyamaka)
"The Jewel Ornament of Liberation"by Gampopa (Kagyu)
"The Great Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment " by Je Tsongkhapa (Gelug)
"Words of My Perfect Teacher" by Patrul Rinpoche (Nyingma )
"Abhidharmakosa" by Vasubandhu (Sarvastivada)
"The Expositor"by Buddhaghosa (Theravada)

academic:
"An Introduction to Buddhist Ethics" by Peter Harvey
Last edited by dawn of peace on Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

dawn of peace wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:07 am

Thank you x
religious texts:

good for beginners:
The Medicine Buddha Sutra
http://www.cttbusa.org/medicine_master/sutra.htm
The Amitabha Sutra
http://www.cttbusa.org/amitabha/amitabha.htm
The ksitigarbha sutra
http://www.cttbusa.org/ess/earthstore_contents.htm

good for intermediate students:
The Flower Garland Sutra
http://www.cttbusa.org/avatamsaka/avata ... s.asp.html
The Lotus Sutra
http://www.cttbusa.org/lotus/lotus_contents.asp.html

good for advanced students:
The Vimalakirti Sutra
https://www2.kenyon.edu/Depts/Religion/ ... akirti.htm
The Vajra Sutra
http://www.cttbusa.org/vajra/vajrasutra.asp.html

schools:
"The Great Treatise on the Great Perfection of Wisdom"by Nagarjuna (Madhyamaka)
"The Jewel Ornament of Liberation"by Gampopa (Kagyu)
"The Great Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment " by Je Tsongkhapa (Gelug)
"Words of My Perfect Teacher" by Patrul Rinpoche (Nyingma )
"Abhidharmakosa" by Vasubandhu (Sarvastivada)
"The Expositor"by Buddhaghosa (Theravada)

academic:
"An Introduction to Buddhist Ethics" by Peter Harvey
All of these are good in their place but I don't think their place is the bookshelf of a beginner.

:namaste:
Kim
uuce

Post by uuce »

Posting it here because I saw that a thread existed already, although a bit of a different request.

I just finished "Thank You and Ok!" by David Chadwick and loved it. Sometimes I need a break from explicit dharma teachings or commentary and found this memoir incredibly enjoyable.

Any recommendations for books that fall in the same vein?
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

uuce wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:12 pm Posting it here because I saw that a thread existed already, although a bit of a different request.

I just finished "Thank You and Ok!" by David Chadwick and loved it. Sometimes I need a break from explicit dharma teachings or commentary and found this memoir incredibly enjoyable.

I enjoyed Bill Porter's (Red Pine) book about traveling around China: Road To Heaven
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Peter Matthiessen is best known as a nature writer but he wrote quite a lot about Buddhism, mainly Zen.
Nine Headed Dragon River is what you're looking for but there's more. You may also enjoy any of his Himalayan nonfiction, or In Paradise which is quite dark but worthwhile.
List here - https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/peter-matthiessen/

Kim
uuce

Post by uuce »

Thanks Keith and Kim!

I have a copy of "Nine-Headed Dragon River," but needed a reason to start it. Thanks again.

I'll certainly check out the Red Pine one as well. I've enjoyed the few translations and commentaries I've read so far.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

KeithA wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:51 am
uuce wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:12 pm Posting it here because I saw that a thread existed already, although a bit of a different request.

I enjoyed Bill Porter's (Red Pine) book about traveling around China: Road To Heaven
Speaking of China, I enjoyed Bones of the Master very much when I read it and it has stayed with me ever since - maybe ten years or more, which says something. I was never sure how factual it was but I think the answer is "mostly". https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-revi ... he-master/

Kim

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”