Does it matter what Pure Land school I follow?

rodolfosancheznusa36

Does it matter what Pure Land school I follow?

Post by rodolfosancheznusa36 »

Hello everyone. I'm new to the Pure Land path and also new to this forum. I've been wondering what is the right pure land path for me. I am a very busy person and I almost have no more time for single-minded chanting of the Name. I am into Jodo Shinshu but I don't know if it is as "effective" as the Chinese schools. I like all of them, both Chinese and Japanese. I can't choose. Will all of them lead me to Sukhavati rebirth? Should I depend on Other Power, or is Self Power also important? Thank you. Amitofo. 🙏🙏
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Re: Does it matter what Pure Land school I follow?

Post by 明安 Myoan »

It really depends on your affinities.
There's something to learn from every Pure Land school, and by and large, they will tell you to keep chanting Amida Buddha's name as often as you can. I suppose the main difference is who emphasizes what and when.

For me, I found one teacher's advice particularly memorable and encouraging.
Over the years, I turned to his words in times of need, even as I explored other temples and religions. I'd remember my teacher, then immediately remember Amida Buddha.

The sum of those experiences and reflections funneled me towards that school, in a way I couldn't have planned. Moods, understanding, and life situation are all in flux; whose words keep you close to the Three Jewels, to Amida Buddha?

In any case, there are many Pure Land teachers I'll want to talk to once born in the Pure Land :reading:
Namu Amida Butsu
Mdg137

Post by Mdg137 »

All schools are good, and all are effective in one way or another. The question of which one you should choose is a different question however.

Shakyamuni Buddha actually speaks this problem in the Sutras, stating that one should enter into a teaching tradition after first examining it at the outset to see if it looks suitable. He invites questions from prospective students so that they can verify for themselves that he is truly a Buddha and therefore worthy of listening to. Then he says one should enter under the tutelage of the teacher, study and practice their Dharma, and see if that practice leads to disenchantment and non-attachment to phenomena. If it does, then continue. If not, then try somewhere else.

For you, it sounds like you need to do this with different Pure Land Schools. Take some time to learn their different views more deeply, and try their practices on for size. Pure Land practice is an easy and effective method, but if you have doubts about one school or another, it might be good to study their philosophy and theory deeply, and give it some contemplation. If then you find that they help you lead an ethical life, with less suffering, that they help you become detached from Saha and make you into a kinder, gentler, and wiser person, then clearly you're on the right path. If not, that is ok, it just isn't the school for you.

Furthermore, if one school isn't for you, that of course does not mean that the school itself is in some way ineffective. Different schools and practices have arisen because sentient beings all have different affinities and capacities for practice. All of them lead to the same place. So there is no question of "is one school more effective than another". The question is about which school is effective relative to your situation.

The most important thing however, is to say the name. Even if you spend all your life without a specific school to label yourself with, name recitation is cause for birth in all schools of Pure Land Buddhism. Don't let confusion hinder practice. I've been down that road and it sucks.

I hope you find peace, and learn a lot. Namo Amituofo.
ZhengShen

Post by ZhengShen »

I think this is a really good and important question! And it's one that many of us struggle with. For many years, I followed more of the Chinese / Vietnamese approach - a mixed practice with a lot of mantra recitation. I've gravitated more and more to exclusive practice over the years, though. There is much that I find deeply valuable in Jodo Shinshu - but I find, personally, that if I read too much of it, I spend my time worrying about whether I've attained Shinjin - rather than simply reciting the Nembutsu. I would say, now, that I'm more Jodo Shu than anything else - I have a great affinity with Honen Shonin, and I love his emphasis on simple recitation. But I read widely, as time permits, and every Pure Land perspective enriches my practice.

So I call myself a "Pure Land Buddhist," and I try not to worry too much about which school I follow. Of course, that's just me. If someone really has a desire to commit to one school and approach, that's fine. But I think that all that really matters, in the final analysis, is just saying the Nembutsu as much as we can...
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

rodolfosancheznusa36 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:17 pm Should I depend on Other Power, or is Self Power also important? Thank you. Amitofo. 🙏🙏
I would say this question is the crux, is it not?

Jodo Shinshu suggests that self-power leads to other power (this idea we call sangan tennnyu).

Follow what you feel is most natural to your inclinations. We need to practice what is suited to our karmic inheritance, don't we?
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

rodolfosancheznusa36 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:17 pm Hello everyone. I'm new to the Pure Land path and also new to this forum. I've been wondering what is the right pure land path for me. I am a very busy person and I almost have no more time for single-minded chanting of the Name. I am into Jodo Shinshu but I don't know if it is as "effective" as the Chinese schools. I like all of them, both Chinese and Japanese. I can't choose. Will all of them lead me to Sukhavati rebirth? Should I depend on Other Power, or is Self Power also important? Thank you. Amitofo. 🙏🙏
Does it matter to Buddha Amitabha
which tradition you follow?
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
It'sYa1UPBoy

Post by It'sYa1UPBoy »

Generally speaking, if you go by the sutras, cultivating faith and chanting the Name are enough. But then certain other sutras also mention mystical, meditative practices focused on Amitabha. In any case, any school will do; most Buddhist schools aren't super sectarian, and accept that there are many paths to the finish line, which fit different beings more or less depending on their circumstances and karma. If it most befits you to identify with a chanting-primary school such as Shin, then affiliate yourself with Shin. In America, Shin/BCA probably releases the most Pure Land materials anyways. But ultimately, nembutsu/nianfo can be chanted alone; one can study the PL Sutras alone. It is a practice especially skillful for those of us without nearby sanghas, and for those of us who for whatever reason cannot do online sangha.

What is important, first and foremost, for anyone of any Pure Land school, is a certain realization: we have not become aware of the Dharma on our own. We became aware of it through Shakyamuni. Already, total reliance on self-power is impossible, because it was not by our own power that we received the Dharma. And, so, knowing this, we become more inclined to express our gratitude. And thus, if you cannot take on a monastic lifestyle, for whatever reason, then practicing virtue, generosity, and gratitude are important; cultivating skillful virtues for future rebirths is indeed a skillful pursuit. And it may, in this case, also be skillful to dedicate practice and merit to rebirth in the time and place of a great teacher of Dharma. If you are Theravada, you may dedicate to being reborn in Maitreya's aeon; if you are Tibetan, you may choose a being whose plain you can be reborn in after you die--- Amitabha's or someone else's. And if you are Pure Land, you dedicate practice and merit to being reborn in Sukhavati.

But you have to believe in what you do wholeheartedly; you have to believe that you will be reborn in Sukhavati through dedication and faith. That is why Pure Land is called the "easy path oft not followed," because faith is easier for humans than assiduous practice but still not easy. Especially not in this era and this culture where we are expected to survive on our own, pull up our bootstraps, and reach the finish line without any help. I struggle, too; sometimes I have a great and trusting faith, but sometimes my trust wanes with my mood--- I become more closed-off both from trusting faith and trust in the people around me. There's a lot of baggage there, from growing up in this society, this culture.

So, in short, any Pure Land school can be skillful, depending on your needs and capabilities. But don't expect Shin to be easy just because it's easier. Trust does not always come easy; faith does not always come easy. Especially not these days.

In gassho,

:anjali:
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

:good:

:namaste:
Kim

Return to “Pure Land”