Wind powered prayer wheel

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Wind powered prayer wheel

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Hi,

for the longest time I had the idea of constructing easy wind powered prayer wheels. Mostly because our retreat center has quite a lot of windy weather and let's be honest, world could use few more prayerwheels spinning rn. The idea is rather simple. Buy a can, put in the mandalas, fill with mantras, seal, decorate and somehow make it spin. Now as you may have noticed the idea how to make it spin is where the problems start for me.

Does anybody here know how it would be possible to make simple homemade win powered prayer wheel that spins even with softer wind?

In my head it could be done with a bearing, however I am not quite sure how. Does anyone have any idea how it could be done?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Wind powered prayer wheel

Post by kirtu »

“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Have you constructed one?

There are several types of vertical-axis wind turbines that could do the job. Here is one type explained by Robert Murray Smith:

svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Konchog,

I tried doing this a few years ago after seeing wind-powered prayer wheels in Bhutan. Frankly, I couldn't get the vanes large enough to spin a rather heavily laden can and keep them attached in strong wind. Eventually I took the vanes off and put the can on a plug-in turntable. But I'd still like to do this. Let me know if you come up with a good design that's not too difficult to produce.

One really easy design I've seen in Asia is to cut out vanes from the sides of old plastic milk jugs, write the mantra on the sides of the vanes, and them stick the jug upside down on a pole. Works but maybe not the most esthetically pleasing.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
jigmemenla

Post by jigmemenla »

Just spoon shape will do. the bigger the fan the easier it turn in soft wind
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Please note, that most posts in this thread are older than 6 months already.
Because the main purpose of this topic is not discussion but exchange of practical ideas, I believe it may stay unlocked over the years without causing confusion.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

It is important that these things always turn the correct direction. I'd be concerned about ensuring that with wind power.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

You have to "cup" the vanes in the right direction.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Return to “Shrine Room”