Looking for Tibetan Sutra book

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
konchok108

Looking for Tibetan Sutra book

Post by konchok108 »

Hi,

I am looking for a book that has some of the TIbetan sutras. I know of websites, but I find it easier to digest the sutras when I'm reading them from a book. I am planning on picking up HH The Dalai Lama's commentary on the Heart Sutra, but if there is any other recommendations I would love to hear them.

Thanks!
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Looking for Tibetan Sutra book

Post by kirtu »

konchok108 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:54 am I am looking for a book that has some of the TIbetan sutras. I know of websites, but I find it easier to digest the sutras when I'm reading them from a book. I am planning on picking up HH The Dalai Lama's commentary on the Heart Sutra, but if there is any other recommendations I would love to hear them.
Usually when they exist they are single sutras (most of the Tibetan Translation Series for example). There is a Gelug books "Stairway to Liberation" that has a couple of sutras (from memory, I do have it around here - this is not the Shang Shung ngondro book) but the primary sutra is the Heart Sutra in Tibetan, transliterated and in English.

Most of the published Tibetan corpus, aside from some few sutras, until the 84000.co project, are commentaries from lamas.
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
konchok108

Post by konchok108 »

Thank you for your help! :smile:
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

The 100000 mantras sadhanas is a collection of dharanis collected from different sutras. Maybe it can interest you.
konchok108

Post by konchok108 »

Soma999 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:02 pm The 100000 mantras sadhanas is a collection of dharanis collected from different sutras. Maybe it can interest you.
Do you have a link to this? I cannot find it. Thanks!
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

You can find the sadhana here :

https://www.shanpafoundation-resourcece ... v4p541.pdf

All the explanation are in french, and it is about the benefits of each mantra.

To practice it, you take refuge, either generate as Buddha Shakyamuni, or visualise him in front if you prefer. From him radiates the sounds of those dharanis which purify all obscurations, disease, negativity…

And you recite all the dharanis.

It is a very good practice. Great purification and positive energy.
curtstein

Post by curtstein »

Peter Skilling has translated 25 Sutras from the Tibetan Kanjur in his book "Questioning the Buddha: A Selection of Twenty-Five Sutras".
In the forty-five years the Buddha spent traversing northern India, he shared his wisdom with everyone from beggar women to kings. Hundreds of his discourses, or sutras, were preserved by his followers, first orally and later in written form. Around thirteen hundred years after the Buddha’s enlightenment, the sutras were translated into the Tibetan language, where they have been preserved ever since. To date, only a fraction of these have been made available in English. Questioning the Buddha brings the reader directly into the literary treasure of the Tibetan canon with thoroughly annotated translations of twenty-five different sutras. Often these texts, many translated here in full for the first time, begin with an encounter in which someone poses a question to the Buddha.

Peter Skilling, an authority on early Buddhist epigraphy, archaeology, and textual traditions, has been immersed in the Buddhist scriptures of diverse traditions for nearly half a century. In this volume, he draws on his deep and extensive research to render these ancient teachings in a fresh and precise language. His introduction is a fascinating history of the Buddhist sutras, including the transition from oral to written form, the rise of Mahayana literature, the transmission to Tibet, the development of canons, and a look at some of the pioneers of sutra study in the West.

Sutras included in this volume are: Four Dharmas Not to Be Taken for Granted; The Benefits of Giving; The Exposition of Four Dharmas; The Merit of the Three Refuges; Four Dharmas Never to Be Abandoned; Advice for Bodhisatva Dharmaketu; Advice for Bodhisatva Jayamati; Sutra Comparing Bodhicitta to Gold; Bodhisatva Maitreya’s Question about the Gift of the Dharma; Four Summaries of the Dharma Spoken to the Naga King Sagara; The Stanza of Dependent Arising; The Heart Formula of Dependent Arising; Prediction of the Boy Brahmasri’s Future Buddhahood; Ksemavati’s Prediction to Future Buddhahood; The City Beggar Woman; An Old Woman’s Questions about Birth and Death; The Questions of Srimati the Brahman Woman; The Questions of the Laywoman Gangottara; Brahma Sahampati’s Question; Advice to King Prasenajit; Passage to the Next Life; Instructions for King Bimbisara; Instructions for King Udayana; Buddhas as Rare as a Grain of Golden Sand; and Predictions on the Eve of the Great Final Nirvana.
https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/ ... 1614293934
"there's no one here. there's only you and me." leonard cohen
https://www.mindisbuddha.org/

Return to “Sūtra Studies”