Sur offering - smell

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Sur offering - smell

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Hi,

I would like to do at least ocassionally sur offering. However, I live in a block of flats so I have to be quite careful to not disturb my neighbours with too much sound or smell. So I would like to ask whether sur offering is too smelly. Does it smell too much like burnt food? Or is it okay if I offer smaller amounts so the smoke is not too strong?

I am just in the preliminary phase of considering my options, whether it will be possible to do it at all. I might be too careful as one of my neighbours smokes pot all the time and coughs and some other neighbours smoke tobacco on the balcony. But you know how it is. Tobacco and weed are sometimes seen more acceptable than oher smells. At least here in Central Europe.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
pemachophel

Re: Sur offering - smell

Post by pemachophel »

Vajrayana has so many methods. If we cannot do one for whatever reason, we can do some other. For instance, chu-tor/water torma doesn't have any smell. Or do chod. There are some very short chod. Doesn't have to be with drum, bell, and kangling, Same four guests. Same effects for self and others. Also, there are sur incense sticks. So sur can also be done without a lot of smoke and without very strong smell.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Dharmadale

Re: Sur offering - smell

Post by Dharmadale »

I sometimes do very small sur offerings, I think it smells quite nice, like toasting bread.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”