Zen in Portland, OR?

aurelian

Zen in Portland, OR?

Post by aurelian »

I’m interested in learning more about Zen Buddhism and was wondering if anyone here would be kind enough to suggest a temple in my area?

I live in the Portland, Oregon metropolitan area. So far, I know that the two largest centers are Dharma Rain and the Zen Community of Oregon. I’m looking for something very traditional. Does anyone here have any experiences with either of these groups?
reiun

Re: Zen in Portland, OR?

Post by reiun »

aurelian wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:54 pm I’m interested in learning more about Zen Buddhism and was wondering if anyone here would be kind enough to suggest a temple in my area?

I live in the Portland, Oregon metropolitan area. So far, I know that the two largest centers are Dharma Rain and the Zen Community of Oregon. I’m looking for something very traditional. Does anyone here have any experiences with either of these groups?
I would suggest no rank zendo. Rinzan Pechovnik Osho, the teacher, is a Dharma Heir of Genjo Marinello, whom I have corresponded with and greatly admire. (We both also trained at Dai Bosatsu Zendo.)
Note that nrz is Rinzai.
Good luck to you!
Knotty Veneer

Re: Zen in Portland, OR?

Post by Knotty Veneer »

A friend of mine attends Dharma Rain and speaks very highly of it.

I have read works by one of the lay teachers there Sallie Tisdale, especially her Advice for future corpses, which helped me immensely as my wife was dying.

No knowing if it will be for you but it might be worth going along and checking it out.
This is not the wrong life.

Return to “Zen”