Is it okay to take Empowerment at Diamond Way event even though I am switching to another Kagyu sub-sect?

Rainbow_Schlong

Is it okay to take Empowerment at Diamond Way event even though I am switching to another Kagyu sub-sect?

Post by Rainbow_Schlong »

I am currently at the summer course of Diamond Way, and tomorrow there is an Empowerment of Amitayus, Buddha of Infinite Life. This will be given by Nedu Kuchung Rinpoche.

However, having posted my doubts about Olé Nydahl’s Diamond Way Buddhism earlier here on Dharma Wheel and to receive feedback from others, I have realized that I am not in the right place in the long term.
Diamond Way doesn’t seem to be it, hence I am looking into Drikung Kagyu at the moment, and I expect to physically go to a center in the foreseeable future.

Therefore my question is: Knowing that I will most probably call it quits at Diamond Way and move on, possibly to Drikung Kagyu, is it advisable to take the empowerment tomorrow or is it not recommended to do so?

Are there pro’s and cons to this? Is it a bad idea? Or is it totally fine and recommended?
Sādhaka

Re: Is it okay to take Empowerment at Diamond Way event even though I am switching to another Kagyu sub-sect?

Post by Sādhaka »

Look up Nedu Kuchung, read his bio, see a picture of him, see if he at least resonates with you at all, determine to the best of your ability if he’s a on the up & up teacher; and if that all checks out, then why not receive it? Or maybe you met him already during that course?

I’m personally not an fan of that side of Karma Kagyu in general, and would maybe pass.

I just saw this though: “Nedo Kuchung Rinpoche’s main teachers were His Holiness the 16th Karmapa, His Holiness Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche, Ven. Riwa Saljay Rinpoche, and Ven. Urgyen Tulku.” (I don’t think that I’ve heard of Riwa Saljay, and I’m assuming that Ven. Urgyen Tulku is Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche). Not sure how Nedu Kuchung ended up associating with Diamond Way, however it looks like he has (a) great lineage(s); and so maybe this would be a good opportunity for you to have a connection to these lineages.

I do like Drikung Kagyu; and have received teachings from Drikung Teachers via live-streaming.
Last edited by Sādhaka on Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Knotty Veneer

Re: Is it okay to take Empowerment at Diamond Way event even though I am switching to another Kagyu sub-sect?

Post by Knotty Veneer »

TBH, if you have no intention of doing the practice, I don't think there is much point in taking the empowerment.

If you have decided to switch to another lineage, you are probably better putting your energies into the teachings you receive there.
This is not the wrong life.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Through an empowerment you have bond with a lineage and a teacher, not with an organization.

Are you interested in Amitayus? What about the lama, is he an interesting lama, good lama? That is important.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Rainbow_Schlong wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:51 pm I am currently at the summer course of Diamond Way, and tomorrow there is an Empowerment of Amitayus, Buddha of Infinite Life. This will be given by Nedu Kuchung Rinpoche.

However, having posted my doubts about Olé Nydahl’s Diamond Way Buddhism earlier here on Dharma Wheel and to receive feedback from others, I have realized that I am not in the right place in the long term.
Diamond Way doesn’t seem to be it, hence I am looking into Drikung Kagyu at the moment, and I expect to physically go to a center in the foreseeable future.

Therefore my question is: Knowing that I will most probably call it quits at Diamond Way and move on, possibly to Drikung Kagyu, is it advisable to take the empowerment tomorrow or is it not recommended to do so?

Are there pro’s and cons to this? Is it a bad idea? Or is it totally fine and recommended?
Forget about Diamond Way. Do you take Nedu Kuchung Rinpoche to be your guru, will you do your best to see him as a Buddha? Will you keep the vows and pledges of the empowerment? That's the only two questions.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Kelwin

Post by Kelwin »

It will give you a connection to Rinpoche, but not to the DW organisation. Empowerments that are given this publicly within the Diamondway organisation are usually without any commitment of any sort. Especially when it's Amitayus or Chenrezig. People in these events are not expected to commit themselves for life. The empowerment is usually given as a blessing. Good vibes for everyone, without any expectations, so to speak.
'I will not take your feelings seriously, and neither will you' -Lama Lena

Return to “Kagyu”