Merigar almost got it right

oldbob

Merigar almost got it right

Post by oldbob »

:namaste:

Merigar almost got it right.

Tomorrow they are starting a seminar on the very effective Secondary Practice of the Zernga - the 5 points.

This is a wonderful practice that forces you into contemplation - like the Rushens, or Purification of the 6 Lokas, or the Yangti practices of the dark, and Togyal, but unlike these, the Zernga offers much quicker results.

"The Zernga is a method of working with the five elements one by one in order to realize them in their natural condition."

https://www.merigar.it/en/courses-and-e ... treat2022/

Merigar is starting with a section on listening to the direct Teaching from ChNN followed by an explanation by local Instructors and then the practice.

This formula could be done for each of the 100+ Secondary Practices. What a wonderful idea! Then the Transmission Lineage will be preserved.

However the retreat is by donation, which is how it should be, but it is in a closed webcast.

This restricts the attendance to those who are Members of the IDC and have a user name and password for "Practicing Together - Closed".

If you read the two Mirror articles about Generosity you can see that ChNN's clear intention was that any retreat dealing with the transmission, would be by donation or sponsorship.

Perhaps a more Generous way of allowing attendance would be to have this by open webcast with the caveat that whoever attends would certify that they had received a Direct Introduction. Or it could be by closed webcast if the cost of "Membership" was very affordable. (3 Euros)

In either case, there needs to be a certification of some form of Direct Introduction because the practice will not function without this.

The 5 elements are released into Instant Presence, so first you have to know what Instant Presence is, for the practice to work.

Anyway, it looks like things are becoming a little more open and this is very good.

Slowly, slowly.

Congratulations Merigar for almost getting it right.

:applause:

oldbob
oldbob

Re: Merigar almost got it right

Post by oldbob »

Please do not feel discouraged if you want to learn the Zernga and you haven't had a Direct Introduction. Learning the unique and powerful visualizations of the Zernga, and practicing these, you will have a loosening of clinging to fixed concepts regardless of having had a Direct Introduction.

My wife took Direct Introduction from ChNN, many times over 8 years, before she felt that she "got it." So even if you receive many Direct Introductions there is no certainty that you will immediately "get it."

If you learn and practice the Zernga from a 2 truths POV it will still have a powerful (and very interesting) effect. When ChNN taught this he taught it to everyone who showed up regardless of background or level of experience.

If later you practice the Zernga informed by the experience of Direct Introduction, you will have an even more interesting experience.

I first heard of this practice from Venerable Lama Gonpo Tsetan in 1980, and he said that it was a very powerful, very strong practice but that it had been lost in Tibet and so he could not teach this.

I was very happy to find that ChNN was teaching this practice openly, to anyone who attended. If you are a Member of the IDC you can learn this practice tomorrow.

As in any practice that affects you strongly, don't go beyond your limits and stop if you feel it is too much. No one ever practiced Dharma to feel badly.

Enjoy!!!

:heart:
Passing By

Post by Passing By »

oldbob wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:31 pm :namaste:

Please do not feel discouraged if you want to learn the Zernga and you haven't had a Direct Introduction. Learning the unique and powerful visualizations of the Zernga, and practicing these, you will have a loosening of clinging to fixed concepts regardless of having had a Direct Introduction.

My wife took Direct Introduction from ChNN, many times over 8 years, before she felt that she "got it." So even if you receive many Direct Introductions there is no certainty that you will immediately "get it."

If you learn and practice the Zernga from a 2 truths POV it will still have a powerful (and very interesting) effect. When ChNN taught this he taught it to everyone who showed up regardless of background or level of experience.

If later you practice the Zernga informed by the experience of Direct Introduction, you will have an even more interesting experience.

I first heard of this practice from Venerable Lama Gonpo Tsetan in 1980, and he said that it was a very powerful, very strong practice but that it had been lost in Tibet and so he could not teach this.

I was very happy to find that ChNN was teaching this practice openly, to anyone who attended. If you are a Member of the IDC you can learn this practice tomorrow.

As in any practice that affects you strongly, don't go beyond your limits and stop if you feel it is too much. No one ever practiced Dharma to feel badly.

Enjoy!!!

But it says you need Dzogchen transmission from ChNNR or his son though.....It doesn't seem to allow people from other lineages. Otherwise I would gladly attend
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

Yes, that, and restricting the admission to "Members", is the "almost" in the title to this thread.

Please read the two Mirror articles on Generosity. (Second article referenced in the first.)

https://melong.com/generosity/

Apparently lacking the open hearted kindness of ChNN, the IDC Is not same as when ChNN taught openly to anyone who showed up at a Teaching.

Yes, he required a letter of request for the Teachings of Togyal and Yangtig, but then granted permission to all who wrote.

If you pray to ChNN and receive permission in a dream or vision, who am I or anyone else, to say that you did not receive that permission.

If someone privately contacted me and requested permission for the Zer Nga and stated that they had received permission from ChNN in any form, I would do what I could to get that teaching to that requester.

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

oldbob wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:29 am :namaste:

Yes, that, and restricting the admission to "Members", is the "almost" in the title to this thread.

Please read the two Mirror articles on Generosity. (Second article referenced in the first.)

https://melong.com/generosity/

Apparently lacking the open hearted kindness of ChNN, the IDC Is not same as when ChNN taught openly to anyone who showed up at a Teaching.

Yes, he required a letter of request for the Teachings of Togyal and Yangtig, but then granted permission to all who wrote.

If you pray to ChNN and receive permission in a dream or vision, who am I or anyone else, to say that you did not receive that permission.

If someone privately contacted me and requested permission for the Zer Nga and stated that they had received permission from ChNN in any form, I would do what I could to get that teaching to that requester.

I don't understand why it's so difficult to understand, that since there is no direct introduction given, they necessarily have to impose some level of restriction on such a replay event, since to hear these teachings, such as the zernga, requires one to have received direct introduction.

When Rinpoche taught, he always gave direct introduction, hence if someone participated in a retreat, they would receive that, and then that is OK. But without this, it is not OK. So of course these replay webcasts are for those who received at the very minimum direct introduction from Rinpoche, and in other cases, the required lung/transmission.

Rinpoche never agreed that one could just get whatever recording just because one wants it, without having fulfilled the necessary criteria, such as direct introduction / empowerment / transmission - that which is necessary to receive.

As for this repeated fantasy of "receiving permission in a dream", so what? If you meet Rinpoche in your dreams, you don't need recordings, you can just request teachings in those dreams instead. Problem solved.

As Rinpoche said many times, we must respect the transmission.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

To be fair, the restriction here is beyond that, it is monetary/membership-based. If that weren’t the case they’d just do an attestation like you do for restricted books. That doesn’t make it wrong, I fully get the logic, But it does make it a decision based on more than just restricting it to people who have had DI.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Gyurme Kundrol

Post by Gyurme Kundrol »

oldbob wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:29 am If you pray to ChNN and receive permission in a dream or vision, who am I or anyone else, to say that you did not receive that permission.
This kind of approach is foolhardy and realistically nobody should rely on this. Maybe, once, you can do this kind of thing and it wont be super damaging to your path, but what happens when that same person then claims they received DI in a dream, then they claim they have permission to study and practice togal because of a vision, etc... Or any restricted texts for that matter... Seems like a recipe to produce a lot of fantasy and delusion and not much realization. Its way too slippery of a slope and extremely dangerous for someone to approach Vajrayana in general, or Dzogchen in particular in this way. There is way too much room for wish fulfillment fantasies, psychological projections, and extreme levels of error. Not to mention we are outright warned that when having a vision that we think is a Guru or deity teaching us, it might just be some demonic spirit playing games with us and creating obstacles.
Last edited by Gyurme Kundrol on Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:07 am To be fair, the restriction here is beyond that, it is monetary/membership-based. That doesn’t make it wrong. But it does make it a decision based on more than just restricting it to people who have had DI.
It's been like that for years and years.

It was Rinpoche who imposed restrictions on access to recordings, even for members (going from a somewhat larger archive access to restricting it to just the latest few webcasts done). And of course, you had to be a member to have access to all of that in the first place. And that meant paying membership fees. And even so, Rinpoche was of the opinion that even considering this, the replay archive was for those who had actually received those teachings, since there was a good chunk of people who listened to teachings they had not received transmission for, and Rinpoche was not very happy about that.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Norwegian wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:18 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:07 am To be fair, the restriction here is beyond that, it is monetary/membership-based. That doesn’t make it wrong. But it does make it a decision based on more than just restricting it to people who have had DI.

It was Rinpoche who imposed restrictions on access to recordings, even for members (going from a somewhat larger archive access to restricting it to just the latest few webcasts done). And of course, you had to be a member to have access to all of that in the first place. And that meant paying membership fees. And even so, Rinpoche was of the opinion that even considering this, the replay archive was for those who had actually received those teachings, since there was a good chunk of people who listened to teachings they had not received transmission for, and Rinpoche was not very happy about that.
Ok, but I'm not sure there's a one to one comparison for when Rinpoche was still around, there were certainly open Webcasts. Recordings frankly take on a different significance with his passing. At any rate, I don't care to belabor the point, everyone always claims that "this is what Rinpoche wanted", and we are not going to change one another's opinion on that. What's going on is fine, if they DC wants to monopolize all recordings minus Worldwide Transmission to members, that seems like a debatable decision to me, but they can muster a good argument for doing so I suppose.

-Khunu Lama
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Right, a dream is usually only a dream; and as Chögyal Namkhai Norbu even said himself, sometimes receiving “teachings” in dreams can be due to provocations (as Gyurme Kundrol said above), and not legitimate teachings.

Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche was receiving teachings within the adeptness of the Clarity of actual Dream Yoga, not mere dreams of karmic vision….

To be fair to Oldbob, the intention of his post could have been to imply that all of us can potentially achieve actual Dream Yoga; meaning that Oldbob did not mean to refer to karmic-vision dreams
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

Gyurme Kundrol wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:14 am
oldbob wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:29 am If you pray to ChNN and receive permission in a dream or vision, who am I or anyone else, to say that you did not receive that permission.
This kind of approach is foolhardy and realistically nobody should rely on this. Maybe, once, you can do this kind of thing and it wont be super damaging to your path, but what happens when that same person then claims they received DI in a dream, then they claim they have permission to study and practice togal because of a vision, etc... Or any restricted texts for that matter... Seems like a recipe to produce a lot of fantasy and delusion and not much realization. Its way too slippery of a slope and extremely dangerous for someone to approach Vajrayana in general, or Dzogchen in particular in this way. There is way too much room for wish fulfillment fantasies, psychological projections, and extreme levels of error. Not to mention we are outright warned that when having a vision that we think is a Guru or deity teaching us, it might just be some demonic spirit playing games with us and creating obstacles.
Agreed, For most of us most of the time this would guarantee self deception in an area of great importance. The likely consequence could be disastrous. Matters in the D.C. are confusing. But the situation is not going to be helped by wishful thinking.
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

Slippery slopes, wishful thinking and demons in your dreams.  Ha HA!

For many, it is like this.

Or ---

If you can contact a single living Dzogchen Master whom you trust, and follow their advice exactly, that is the easiest path.

https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?t=8917

Or – if you prefer, you can have many.

ChNN received teachings from many.

If you have many teachers, then you have the responsibility to actively pursue your path.  

Identify the teachings that you feel will most quickly lead to realization, obtain those teachings and practice them until you get results.

For those without much capacity  - like myself --  it is always best to seek guidance.  

Yes, you should always check what you receive in dreams.

Before I tried to practice Togal, I asked for advice, first person face to face -  if I was ready -- from ChNN, Ven, Chatral Rinpoche and HH. Dodrupchen Rinpoche.  All said yes, and then I went to Tso Pema, and at dawn sat in the place of Guru Rinpoche and practiced under the guidance of Ven. Lama Wangdor.

https://art.dzamlinggar.net/en/tso-pema

Listening to the birds starting to sing at dawn was very beautiful.

For the Dark Retreat I practiced the 49 days in the Yangtig Hilton, in Buckland, MA., having received the 7 levels of instructions, over many years, from ChNN.

For  the purification of the 6 Lokas, I did a closed retreat, as guided by ChNN, for 7 months and got the bright benefit.

For Wangs, the full HH Dudjom transmission, Kathmandu 1978. 3 Yab Shis and the full Yeshe Lama Wang , Lung and Tri at Kurt’s house.  Then 3-5 long retreats a year, in person with ChNN, since 1982.  Painted the Yellow House yellow, and, in 1982, walked through the 501C3 for the Dzogchen Community in America.  

Now – fast forward to NOW.

The Dzogchen Community has an opportunity to preserve, protect and properly transmit, the 100 plus Secondary Practices as taught in the 650 Teaching Retreats of ChNN.  These are contained in the Digital Archive.

Yes, there needs to be a living transmission from qualified lineage holders for each of these.

Yes, there needs to be a creditable Direct Introduction, Empowerment and Lung Reading Authorization for each of these.

Just as when ChNN taught, there needs to be a creditable way forward so that ANYONE seeking these Secondary Practice teachings can receive them.

So how to do this?  The formula that is being used today for the teaching of the Zernga could be modified  - just a little – to allow this to happen.

1.  Establish that one, OR MORE, of the old practitioners (some of whom were with ChNN for 40 years) can give Direct Introduction, and then allow a short form Direct Introduction, Worldwide Transmission - through Practicing Together or Zoom, at the beginning of each retreat.

If we put 10, 20 04 50 or more of the old practitioners - on line - in a live Zoom - surely some kind of valid Direct Transmission would occur.  The VERY strong field of Direct Transmission that manifested in the Gompa at Merigar, during the practices after the passing of ChNN, demonstrated this.

Or

2.  Allow a recognized Dzogchen Master from outside of the IDC to give a Direct Introduction at the beginning of each retreat on the web, perhaps by Zoom, as ChNN allowed in the Worldwide Transmission.

AND

3.  Establish that the re- reading of the practice texts by a recognized lineage holder qualifies as a valid Lung Reading Authorization for that practice.

AND

4.  Have several recognized lineage holder give the further explanation of the practice, and be available for questions after giving the explanation.

The key points are that the information contained in the full Dzogchen Transmission of ChNN is contained in the Digital Archive / Transcript Archive, preserved at Merigar.  

Lineage holders are currently alive for each of the Secondary Practices.  It is possible to construct a workable system, incorporating Wang Lung and Tri for all of the teachings of ChNN – NOW!

Perhaps it is silly to think that one source of Direct Introduction is more qualified than another.

Perhaps Merigar should allow attendance at a teaching like the Zernga to anyone who had received a Direct Introduction  - in any form from a recognized Dzogchen lineage.

Perhaps Merigar could allow attendance at a teaching like the Zernga to anyone who shows sincere interest and not just to Members.

In Dzogchen the imperative to liberate all sentient beings exists – beyond the words – beyond any words.

This is the activity of Dzogchen in the world, but this is never said or claimed.

ChNN taught openly and completely to anyone who showed up sincerely seeking teachings.

Maybe we – his spiritual children - can do the same.

Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

No because he was a highly realized master and we are not.
Accept this, move on.
It’s better to cry for a while over spilt milk and then let go, rather than try to put it back in the bottle.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

I feel like there are definitely oldschoolers in the DC qualified to give DI. The DC is gonna do what they are gonna do, and I have told some folks (well, the Merigar peeps at least) how I feel when they asked me to renew. I think what they are doing is not well thought out, and perhaps approaches a form of hoarding ChNN's legacy. However, I am nobody and they ain't listening to me. It makes me sad, but I'm beyond grateful I got what I did from Rinpoche, even at the distance I was, and never meeting him.. so it's ok, people gonna people.

Minus the dream thing, I think some of Oldbob's suggestions are seem reasonable. The way recordings are being walled off does not sit well with me, because they have a greater significance now, including to the larger Dharma world, for those recordings which would not be restricted or would simply require DI.

Anyway I fear we are going to go over the same points that have been gone over again and again, and create more conflict, If there is no new thing to discuss I don't see a big reason to keep this thread going. So, if anyone cares to make a specific point go ahead and do it.

-Khunu Lama
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:21 am

Ok, but I'm not sure there's a one to one comparison for when Rinpoche was still around, there were certainly open Webcasts. Recordings frankly take on a different significance with his passing. At any rate, I don't care to belabor the point, everyone always claims that "this is what Rinpoche wanted", and we are not going to change one another's opinion on that. What's going on is fine, if they DC wants to monopolize all recordings minus Worldwide Transmission to members, that seems like a debatable decision to me, but they can muster a good argument for doing so I suppose.
The recordings are for members because thats how rinpoche set things when he was alive. In any case you can recriminate the dc that they are not chaging that with the new current circustamces
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Tata1 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:26 pm

The recordings are for members because thats how rinpoche set things when he was alive. In any case you can recriminate the dc that they are not chaging that with the new current circustamces
Yeah, again, there were open webcasts, so the comparison does not really fit present circumstances IMO. I really think that if we contemplate the effects of restricting the vast majority of recordings of ChNN to people exclusively who are members of the DC forever (rather than, for instance, simply people who have DI with Rinpoche, or even another teacher - I admit another level of controversy), there are some really serious issues with that plan, especially in the long term.

Unless Rinpoche actually said "restrict all this stuff after I die exclusively to members with no time limit" (did he?) then it is not a very convincing claim to me.

-Khunu Lama
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:32 pm

Yeah, again, there were open webcasts, so the comparison does not really fit present circumstances IMO. I really think that if we contemplate the effects of restricting the vast majority of recordings of ChNN to people exclusively who are members of the DC forever, there are some really serious issues with that plan, especially in the long term.

Unless Rinpoche actually said "restrict all this stuff after I die exclusively to members with no time limit" (did he?) then it is not a very convincing claim to me.
The open webcasts wear livve teachings. Not recordings. The dc has innumerable open live teachings activities. More than any sangha probably.

I reallly dont see what the problem is. Memberships are not expensive and i come from a broke third world country. If you dont have money you can ask and find a way as i did at some point. The dc said many times that they where working on video archive and how much the servers costs(a lot of money)
Its like people complaining for having to pay for vajrayana online from tergar or any other sangha. I dont see that happening.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Tata1 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:42 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:32 pm

Yeah, again, there were open webcasts, so the comparison does not really fit present circumstances IMO. I really think that if we contemplate the effects of restricting the vast majority of recordings of ChNN to people exclusively who are members of the DC forever, there are some really serious issues with that plan, especially in the long term.

The open webcasts wear livve teachings. Not recordings. The dc has innumerable open live teachings activities. More than any sangha probably.

I reallly dont see what the problem is. Memberships are not expensive and i come from a broke third world country. If you dont have money you can ask and find a way as i did at some point. The dc said many times that they where working on video archive and how much the servers costs(a lot of money)
Its like people complaining for having to pay for vajrayana online from tergar or any other sangha. I dont see that happening.
Just speaking for myself, I agree membership is not expensive, that is definitely not my issue...but I do not want to pay for walling off ChNN's legacy and claiming some legalistic reason for doing so. Beyond that I've always thought the DC's membership structure is bizarre...but that is fine. It appears to be a way of not making difficult decisions, and at least from the outside, from my admittedly removed position (there are no DC in person groups near me) it seems irresponsible. You are right that people are not making those complaints, but personally I feel ChNN was quite unique, and I would not expect this stuff to go the direction of Tergar, etc.

I fully admit there is probably a big part of things I am not seeing, but when I hear these arguments "Rinpoche said it should be like this", they seem weak to me in the absence of actual planning documents, quotes, etc., and it is notable that the claims tend to be quite vague, and usually are not accompanied by context or quotes, and that context is totally different now than what it was when Rinpoche was alive.

I would like to know more about the specifics of the arguments people are making now to claim the DC is somehow following Rinpoche's exact wishes, for instance with a decision like this.

-Khunu Lama
Toenail

Post by Toenail »

Everyone knows one needs to receive empowerments and DI from a living teacher. Every teacher says it and it is written in every text on that subject. If people feel lost after their beloved teacher passes away, that is very understandable, but it just means they need a new one. If your teacher passes away and you feel confident in what you have received and understood these questions are irrelevant and you are fine.
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

Information, whether stored on a pecha or hard drive is innocent.

If you read a book or see a video and through that gain information that leads to practice which leads to spiritual progress that is good.

ChNN explained the plan of donation /sponsorship, relating to activities concerning transmission, very clearly in the 2 articles in the Mirror.

For reasons of his own, he did not harmonize this plan with Membership. I think that this was a compromise with the fund raisers so they would help more with the building projects.

Still, it is clear according to the "Generosity" thinking in the Mirror articles, this harmonization still needs to be carried out.

No one should be prevented from getting teachings because they feel they cannot afford to attend live
retreats or buy the written / recorded materials. The purpose of Dharma is to help people realize, not to build Gompas or libraries or buy digital servers, or accumulate cash reserves. All these things can help to turn the wheel. They are not the wheel.

Spiritual progress is what matters.

If Merigar creates conditions that further spiritual progress for all, this is for the good.

Direct Introduction, Lung Reading Authorization, and Oral Explanation. It is not that complicated.

It is up to you to reach out and communicate your thoughts and feelings to those responsible.

[email protected]

Return to “Dzogchen”