Teacher-Student Consent

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Teacher-Student Consent

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

solastalgia wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:07 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:48 am
solastalgia wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:29 am

It's not just my opinion. There are laws (at least in the US) that say if there is a power-differential (like between a religious leader and their congregant or disciple) then the consent is negated. This is in place to protect the victims in cases brought to court, in which the perpetrator tries to argue that it was a consensual relationship so there's been no harm.

Of course the issue is with the men (or women by the way) who abuse that power. But there is also problems with power dynamics within hierarchical organizations and institutions that make it easier to abuse power and get away with it.
Can you link to one of these laws, Or provide a resource? Some sort of reference to what law you are talking about. I looked at my state laws am married to an attorney, this is contrary to my understanding, which is that laws on consent are quite a patchwork.

Are you talking about criminal law, administrative stuff, etc.

one example

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/le ... e=suppress

Unless I missed it, that’s also oriented towards custodial caregivers. I’m a mandatory reporter so I’m vaguely familiar with some of this. I have my doubts that someone attending a Dharma center would be covered here, though I don’t doubt they might be some places.

This link for the most part is defining custodial relationships, positions as representative of the state, etc....they would not apply to a non-imparied adult entering into a voluntary social relationship at a religious institution, near as I can tell.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

I asked an authority and here was her basic take when I asked it off the cuff:

A law specifically targeting the relationship between clergy and...parishioner or whatever would likely be found unconstitutional.

So, basically there its an ethical (or civil maybe?) issue more than a legal one, as far as something like a Dharma center is concerned, and assuming no actual crime took place.

Paging Queeqeg

-Khunu Lama
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Concerning consent:
The master Asvaghosa says:

In that case, inappropriate times are when
A woman is menstruating, pregnant,
Has an infant, is unwilling,
Is in pain or is unhappy and the like,
Or is maintaining the eight-part one-day vow.

Again, the Great Elder is similar to Asvaghosa with the difference that he says that daytime is an inappropriate time.

Given that the three bases-sexual intercourse using inappropriate body parts, in an inappropriate place, or at an inappropriate time-become sexual misconduct even in regard to your own wife, it is certainly the case that they become sexual misconduct in regard to others.
-The Great Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment eng v1 pg. 221 tib pg. 168

Bolding mine

Furthermore, with regard to one's teacher:
Question: We must practice in accordance with the gurus' words. Then what if we rely on the gurus and they lead us to an incorrect
path or employ us in activities that are contrary to the three vows? Should we do what they say?

Reply: With respect to this, Gunaprabha's Sutra on the Discipline states, "If the abbot instructs you to do what is not in accord with the teachings, refuse." Also, the Cloud of Jewels Sutra says, "With respect to virtue act in accord with the gurus' words, but do not act in accord with the gurus' words with respect to nonvirtue." Therefore, you must not listen to nonvirtuous instructions. The twelfth birth story clearly gives the meaning of not engaging in what is improper.
-Ibid. eng v1 pg. 86 tib pg. 48

People might tell you, it permissible for your Guru to break the Pratimoksha with regard to consent or monastic vows of chastity because he practices Tantra.

That is not true:
[T]he Mother of Conquerors [The Eighteen Thousand-Verse Perfection of Wisdom Sutra] says:

Bodhisattvas should produce all paths-whatever is a path of a sravaka, a pratyekabuddha, or a buddha-and should know all paths. They should also perform the deeds of these paths and bring all of them to completion.

Thus, it is contradictory to propound that you should not train in the scriptural collections of the Hinayana because you are a Mahayana practitioner.

There are shared and unshared paths to enter the Mahayana. Since the shared are those things that come from the scriptural collections of the Hinayana, how could they be something to set aside? Therefore, Mahayana followers must practice all those things taught in the Hinayana scriptural collections, with only a few exceptions, such as diligently seeking a blissful peace for oneself alone. This is the reason for extensively teaching all three vehicles in the very vast scriptural collections of the bodhisattvas.
-Ibid. eng v1 pg. 47 tib pg. 12-13

Furthermore:
Qualm: In order to enter the perfection vehicle of the Mahayana, you do need the paths that are explained in the Hinayana scriptural collections. However, in order to enter into the Vajrayana, the paths of the perfection vehicle are not shared in common with the paths of the Vajrayana, because the paths are incompatible.

Reply: This too is most unreasonable. The substance of the path of the perfection vehicle comprises the thought that is the development of the spirit of enlightenment and the deeds of training in the six perfections. That those must be relied upon on all occasions is set forth in the [tantras].

[...]

Some see a slight discrepancy in terms of what you are and are not to do and conclude that these are in complete contradiction, like hot and cold. Obviously, this is a cursory assessment. Apart from certain points about what is or is not to be done, the scriptures are very much in agreement. Therefore, upon entering the higher levels of the three vehicles or the five paths, for instance, you must have all the good qualities of the lower vehicles and paths.
-Ibid. eng v1 pg. 47-48 tib pg. 13-14
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
solastalgia

Post by solastalgia »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:19 am Found the laws for my own state, if anyone is interested…they cover employers, caregivers etc., I didn’t see clergy in ours, but I’m sure some do.

https://apps.rainn.org/policy/policy-cr ... 1659470315

Look under the ‘capacity to consent’ heading. The one for my state applies mainly to custodial care, it looks like.
It doesn't specifically mention clergy but I believe that could be counted as a special relationship.

I looked at the link and found this:
Does the relationship between the victim and actor impact the victim’s ability to consent?

Answer
Yes, there are several special relationships between the victim and actor that would impact the victim’s ability to consent and therefore make it a crime to engage in sexual intercourse with a person. Special relationships include:

(a) a person in a significant relationship with the victim and abuses a supervisory position within that relationship;
That could definitely count for clergy. Especially at a dharma center with a live-in volunteer and a teacher supervisor.
Last edited by solastalgia on Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

solastalgia wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:35 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:19 am Found the laws for my own state, if anyone is interested…they cover employers, caregivers etc., I didn’t see clergy in ours, but I’m sure some do.

https://apps.rainn.org/policy/policy-cr ... 1659470315

Look under the ‘capacity to consent’ heading. The one for my state applies mainly to custodial care, it looks like.
It doesn't specifically mention clergy but I believe that could be counted as a special relationship.

I looked at the link and found this:
Does the relationship between the victim and actor impact the victim’s ability to consent?

Answer
Yes, there are several special relationships between the victim and actor that would impact the victim’s ability to consent and therefore make it a crime to engage in sexual intercourse with a person. Special relationships include:

(a) a person in a significant relationship with the victim and abuses a supervisory position within that relationship;
That could definitely count for clergy. Especially at a dharma center with a live-in volunteer and a teacher supervisor.
Again, my source (who is an attorney) was highly doubtful the law would work this way criminally, if it did, or such a thing was taken into consideration, she thinks it would be used civilly, as the state has no place regulating private relationships that way, particularly in religious settings.

Of course this was just off the top of her head, but after hearing the explanation I imagine you are not going to find clergy written into those laws for this reason.

Legally, I don't think a supervisor is much like a clergy person. Again, the laws you cited were about custodial, supervisory, educational, and legal relationships where the power dynamic is quite official, and generally speaking is not voluntary in the way attending a Church etc. is. Religious relationships entered into voluntarily are not this way.

At any rate, until I hear differently from another legal authority, I will go with what I've been told by someone with the education.

-Khunu Lama
Tukaram

Post by Tukaram »

KathyLauren wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:09 pm I am not comfortable with either extreme. Saying that consent can never be given in a student-teacher relationship is one extreme. Saying that if the (tantric) teacher wants to have sex with you it is the greatest honour and the greatest teaching and you must agree to it is the other extreme. I have heard both positions advocated.

However, having said that I do not like extremes, I do not take a neutral position between them. The power dynamic in a teacher-student rrelationship makes sexual relations problematic, and usually a really, really bad idea. I would be more comfortable receiving teachings from a lama who advocated the first extreme than one who advocated for the second.

Given the prevalence of sexual abuse allegations in sanghas, I do not think that rules for teachers are out of place. The idea that a teacher can do no wrong is ripe for abuse. Even if a teacher is not a monastic, they should be required to follow some Vinaya-type rules while in the role of teacher.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy
I agree. Student/teacher relationships can be very problematic. I know some schools have rules, that may or may not be followed. I would prefer to err on the side of caution. But the extreme views, on either end, are generally not realistic.

solastalgia wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:56 pm From what I understand having researched sexual misconduct and power differentials in religious community, there is no such thing as consent when it comes to the type of power differential that exists between a spiritual teacher and student.
solastalgia wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:37 pm I didn't say any relationship between a spiritual teacher is non-consensual and implicitly abusive.
I do not understand your position. In your first post you clearly say there can be no consent. Then you say that you did not say it. If you clarify your point, it would be easier to discuss. When you say 'from the legal standpoint'... which country are you speaking of? I agree that student/teacher relationships are prone to abuse but to say all consent is nil is simplistic.
solastalgia

Post by solastalgia »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:54 am Again, my source (who is an attorney) was highly doubtful the law would work this way criminally
What kind of attorney is your source?

Some states have entire clergy abuse task forces and their district attorneys are actively prosecuting clergy abuse...

https://www.ydr.com/story/news/2018/09/ ... 213677002/
Last edited by solastalgia on Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
solastalgia

Post by solastalgia »

Tukaram wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:11 am I do not understand your position. In your first post you clearly say there can be no consent. Then you say that you did not say it. If you clarify your point, it would be easier to discuss. When you say 'from the legal standpoint'... which country are you speaking of? I agree that student/teacher relationships are prone to abuse but to say all consent is nil is simplistic.

What I was refuting was the misrepresentation of my argument that it somehow meant I thought all teacher-student relationships generally are non-consensual or implicitly abusive. That's not what I was saying. My original post clearly states that I believe sexual misconduct cases between spiritual teachers and students take consent off the table.

I will repost this link to a sexual assault attorney:

https://survivorlawyer.com/about-sexual ... ual-abuse/
Because of the power a church leader holds over congregation members, a churchgoer may feel they lack the authority to refuse sexual advances. For this reason, the concept of consent becomes virtually meaningless. Any sexual relationship between a religious leader and a congregant automatically negates mutual consent, or characterization as “an affair.” It’s control and manipulation, and it is a crime.
Last edited by solastalgia on Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

solastalgia wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:31 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:54 am Again, my source (who is an attorney) was highly doubtful the law would work this way criminally

Some states have entire clergy abuse task forces and their district attorneys are actively prosecuting clergy abuse...

"Which state are you in?" might be a better question than "What kind of attorney?"

:namaste:
Kim
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

solastalgia wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:31 am

An attorney who has worked directly for courts for years, and who likely knows more than most attorneys due to proximity to such matters, and deals with related legal matters regularly. Enough expertise that until I hear different I am far more confident in their opinion than nearly anyone on the forum, minus a couple people who might have other info.

I feel like you really aren't understanding the distinction I'm talking about here, of course they are investigating sexual abuse, but your OP is about consensual relationships between Lama and student etc. being problematic under the law (which so far has no backing at all, I can find nothing indicating anything like this), not clear cases of or allegations of abuse - which I already said are obviously illegal and prosecutable for pretty obvious reasons.

I think it would be good at this point to further define what overall point it is you are trying to make with this thread.
What I was refuting was the misrepresentation of my argument that it somehow meant I thought all teacher-student relationships generally are non-consensual or implicitly abusive. That's not what I was saying. My original post clearly states that I believe sexual misconduct cases between spiritual teachers and students take consent off the table.
The two sentences above seem contradictory. At any rate, you appeared to claim that legally somehow there could not be consent in voluntary relationships between a spiritual teacher and student, as far as I can tell at this point this is incorrect, and the law does not take a position on such relationships in particular until 1) they become issues of abuse or 2) the consent is affected by custody, legal position, educational position, guardian status etc...none of which are the same as clergy at private religious institutions that people enter voluntary relationships with.

Beyond that, it is unclear what you mean by "sexual misconduct" between spiritual teachers and students. If you just mean abuse, sexual or otherwise, then obviously that is illegal, honestly I don't think we need a thread to figure that one out.

Here is the statement at issue from your first post:
solastalgia wrote:From what I understand having researched sexual misconduct and power differentials in religious community, there is no such thing as consent when it comes to the type of power differential that exists between a spiritual teacher and student.
You immediately backed this up with claims of legality which were pretty vague, if the above statement is simply your opinion on consent based on your own research, that is fine, but that's what it is. Of course if sexual misconduct = sexual abuse, then of course it's not consensual that's what makes it sexual abuse in the first place, physical, sexual, emotional abuse is by definition, not consensual. "Non consensual abuse" would be redundant.

-Khunu Lama
solastalgia

Post by solastalgia »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:07 am but your OP is about consensual relationships between Lama and student etc. being problematic under the law

No it is NOT. Please stop with the straw man arguments! My original post is NOT about consensual relationships between Lamas and Students. I clearly stated it is about sexual misconduct between Lamas and Students. Why must you in multiple instances try to straw man argument me here? Despite how many times I have clearly stated that this is about sexual misconduct, you continue to misrepresent my position for the sake of what? Being right?

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:07 amThe two sentences above are contradictory. At any rate, you claimed that legally somehow there could not be consent in voluntary relationships between a teacher and student, as far as I can tell this is incorrect, and the law does not take a position on such relationships in particular until 1) they become issues of abuse or 2) the consent is affected by custody, legal position, educational position, etc...none of which are the same as clergy at private religious institutions.

Beyond that, you need to define what "sexual misconduct" is between spiritual teachers and students.

No they are not contradictory. You are continuing again to twist my words here. I never claimed that "legally somehow there could not be consent in voluntary relationships between a teacher and student".

I clearly stated in my original post that I was talking about sexual misconduct. That includes harassments, assault, etc. When it comes to spiritual teachers and students this is usually coerced through the abuse of power differential. There is no consent here. Again, I will re-post for the 3rd time, from the sexual assault attorney:

https://survivorlawyer.com/about-sexual ... ual-abuse/

Because of the power a church leader holds over congregation members, a churchgoer may feel they lack the authority to refuse sexual advances. For this reason, the concept of consent becomes virtually meaningless. Any sexual relationship between a religious leader and a congregant automatically negates mutual consent, or characterization as “an affair.” It’s control and manipulation, and it is a crime.

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:07 amAn attorney who has worked directly for courts for years, and who likely knows more than most attorneys due to proximity to such matters, and deals with related legal matters regularly.

I find it weird that you cannot just clearly state what kind of attorney they are...
Last edited by solastalgia on Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Lots of attorneys do not work for courts, some do not work directly with courts, and plenty literally never set foot in a courtroom for their entire careers. I do not need to share any more than I did, especially when it comes to someone else's privacy.

Please define what you mean by "sexual misconduct", and what the point you are trying to make is..Then maybe we can get somewhere.

Obviously, no one here thinks abusive relationships of any kind are consensual, again, that is one of the major things that makes them abusive relationships.

So, if that is not the issue, and you agree that sometimes such (non abusive) relationships are ok, then what is it exactly you want to talk about with this thread?

As to the rest, stop with the veiled ad homs and just address the issues, the thread doesn't have to go on forever. It's an important subject, and aimless back and forth like this doesn't do it much justice.

-Khunu Lama
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

solastalgia wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:35 am
I thought I had clarified your point but am again confused and need to ask for further clarification.
You state above that you are only talking about “sexual misconduct,” which you responded to me that meant to mean abuse, and that you believed that non-abusive consensual sexual relationships where not what you were talking about.

I thought that made sense; but the above quote clearly states that any sexual relations are themselves sexual misconduct, negates consent and is manipulative and illegal.

If that is the case, can you please explain under what circumstances you would find a consensual sexual relationship between a spiritual teacher and a student acceptable and how it would not fall into the category of sexual misconduct as defined above? of
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
solastalgia

Post by solastalgia »

I'm done debating here. You're right okay. Are you happy now? Good bye.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

solastalgia wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:58 am I'm done debating here. You're right okay. Are you happy now? Good bye.
Ok, your choice. Quite the welcome to DW, hope you come back.

-Khunu Lama
solastalgia

Post by solastalgia »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:00 am Ok, your choice. Quite the welcome to DW, hope you come back.
Being a survivor myself, I dont feel welcome here in the least bit when someone says it's easy for people to say No with a power differential like that between a spiritual teacher and student. It just goes to show that rape culture is everywhere. Because it's a lot easier to pick apart and put down victims then it is to hold actual perpetrator's accountable.

https://www.vox.com/2014/12/15/7371737/ ... definition
Last edited by solastalgia on Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

solastalgia wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:11 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:00 am Ok, your choice. Quite the welcome to DW, hope you come back.
Being a survivor myself, I dont feel welcome here in the least bit when someone says it's easy for people to say No with a power differential like that between a spiritual teacher and student.

https://www.vox.com/2014/12/15/7371737/ ... definition
I can understand that feeling. I have loved ones who are also survivors of abuse and I'm sorry for what you went through. Relegating us to advocates of Rape Culture is pretty questionable though.

Obviously to have a discussion like this I think it is probably a given that some opinions may make you uncomfortable. "welcome here" is really just about your willingness to participate and whether or not it holds value for you. For some people it does, others not so much. It will not give you the warm fuzzies at first for sure, but there are some really decent people and practitioners here if you stick around and are willing to be uncomfortable here and there.

The standard here is that if you post claims people will pick them apart and demand clarification, it is the culture here. It's not always great, but it is what it is and I have found it to have value, especially as regards developing a clarity about Buddhist practice, YMMV.

-Khunu Lama
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

To get back to the original point of contention:
solastalgia wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:56 pm From what I understand having researched sexual misconduct and power differentials in religious community, there is no such thing as consent when it comes to the type of power differential that exists between a spiritual teacher and student.
This is flat-out wrong.

Whether or not consent exists depends, in all jurisdictions, on two questions: (1) did the individual give consent, and (2) was the individual capable of giving consent. Different jurisdictions have different definitions of what qualifies as giving or withdrawing consent. They also have different categorizations of people unable to give consent, but those generally include children, the mentally impaired, prisoners or wards of the state, etc.

We're talking about a scenario here where a mentally competent, free, adult layperson has their own income and means of subsistence and has voluntarily entered into a teaching relationship with a lama. The lama has no financial, legal or material control over the person. It is almost certain that the student would be capable of giving consent. That's pretty much the end of that discussion.

The complaint usually made in these situation is - the student could consent, but the teacher shouldn't have made the request. The reasons given for why they shouldn't have made the request usually boil down to an indefinable feeling that it's a bit unsavory if person A looks on person B as a spiritually enlightened person and person B takes advantage of that to have sex with person A. However that argument doesn't deny the existence of consent, instead it argues either that it was consent under false pretenses. Perhaps the request reveals that B really wasn't what he/she claimed to be, or was something he/she shouldn't have done if he really was what he/she claimed.

However that argument is a bit thin. As a hypothetical - guy rents an expensive sports car, borrows an expensive suit and a watch, turns up at a bar claiming to be rich, and seduces a woman on that pretext. Can the woman consent? Yes of course she can. Her consent may rely on false representations that she's received, but that's her problem, not sports car guy's problem.

So we're well outside the territory of "can't". Are we in the territory of "shouldn't"? Are some forms of teacher/student relationship permissible but undesirable? Well, if we're making a moral and not a legal judgement, that should be from the perspective of the moral framework that the teacher and student have agreed to. Nothing in the Buddhadharma generally or the Vajrayana specifically prohibits these relationships, except in situations where it involves breaking vows or procuring others to break vows. They have existed and have not been disapproved for a very long time. In the Buddhadharma and the Vajrayana we are responsible for the vows we undertake, and our upholding of those vows (including those with respect to teachers). So basically, there's no viable argument that these relationships are undesirable, but clearly those entering into them are responsible for the outcomes of so doing. It's quite possible for consent to be coerced - but that can happen in any relationship, not just a student/teacher one.

So we can't really make a legal or a moral argument against these in principle.

That isn't to say that there aren't relationships that are either illegal or immoral. Mukpo father and son engaged in behavior that was probably illegal (underage partners, rape, etc.) and definitely immoral. Lakhar engaged in behavior that was definitely immoral. The discussion on these things needs to be around the specifics of the situation.
Harimoo

Post by Harimoo »

I quite agree with you. The idea of "consent" seems to me a very modern thing, not only for the relation between teacher and student in a sexual context but also the recognition of tulku etc.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

I agree with most of what PeterC argues, except for this part, which suggests that a liar or con-man isn’t to be blamed:
PeterC wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:19 amAs a hypothetical - guy rents an expensive sports car, borrows an expensive suit and a watch, turns up at a bar claiming to be rich, and seduces a woman on that pretext. Can the woman consent? Yes of course she can. Her consent may rely on false representations that she's received, but that's her problem, not sports car guy's problem.

A very good point was raised, which is that a person must be able to give consent. They must be mentally competent and emotionally stable. And I think a key issue here that people often go to spiritual teachers precisely because they may be in an emotionally unstable, or vulnerable state of mind. In that case, it should be argued that true consent is not possible.

“Consent” and “willing consent” are two different things. I once heard an attorney explain that ‘consent’ under duress could still be legally regarded as willing consent. In other words, if I tell you to do what I want or I’m going to hurt you, and you say okay, that’s consent. But it’s not willing consent.

This relates to the point I mentioned earlier, that coercion generally involves facing some kind of negative consequences for not complying with a demand. If a teacher tells the student that not offering sex will land them in vajra hell, or that giving sex is some kind of ultimate generosity that guarantees buddhahood or some other bullshit, this is no different than a boss telling an employee that they will either be fired or get a promotion depending on whether there is sex or not.

But as PeterC points out, each case needs to be examined (to see if this is what happened), and also whether the alleged victim was in a clear state of mind or not. Otherwise, arguing that a teacher-student relationship automatically makes the student vulnerable requires reasons for why that automatically makes a student vulnerable.

Of course, reward/punishment coercion is possible for many reasons. There are a lot of power struggles in Buddhist institutions. Being in a teacher’s “inner circle” will have its privileges. And in Vajrayana there is the narrative that the pupil must do whatever the master says, which is largely based on legends such as the relationship between Marpa and Milarepa. If a teacher interprets this in a modern-day context for his own advantage, yeah, that’s definitely a problem.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”