How is sadhana practice done?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Dharmalight889

Post by Dharmalight889 »

Been reading more on Tantra and I am a bit confused on how sadhana practice is done? Does one always just read and follow the instructions/visualizations in the sadhana? Or does one learn it and then carry it out without the sadhana? Must the entire thing be memorized or is reading it and following along okay?

Thanks all!
Malcolm

Re: How is sadhana practice done?

Post by Malcolm »

Dharmalight889 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:38 am Been reading more on Tantra and I am a bit confused on how sadhana practice is done? Does one always just read and follow the instructions/visualizations in the sadhana? Or does one learn it and then carry it out without the sadhana? Must the entire thing be memorized or is reading it and following along okay?

Thanks all!
You learn thus from a qualified teacher.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

There’s no way to practice sadhana without it being demonstrated in front of you. It is a visual transmission, as well as an oral one. In addition to liturgy, there are musical instructions, mudras and the use of various ritual implements.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Dharmalight889 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:38 am Been reading more on Tantra and I am a bit confused on how sadhana practice is done? Does one always just read and follow the instructions/visualizations in the sadhana? Or does one learn it and then carry it out without the sadhana? Must the entire thing be memorized or is reading it and following along okay?

Thanks all!
Ideally in person, over a period of time, supplemented with ongoing instruction. There are also some situations where a person can receive a reading transmission or empowerment then practice with written instruction, and also situations through Zoom, but it still involved detailed instruction and requires you to make a connection to a lineage and a teacher. There is no DIY Tantra.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

:popcorn: :popcorn:

All sadhanas have their own commentaries or oral explanations from the teachers. read, listen and follow the stated instructions.
Life is like a game, either you win or lose!
Life is like a fight, either you live or die!
Life is like a show, either you laugh or cry!
Life is like a dream, either you know or not!!!
philji

Post by philji »

learning.tergar.org under the direction of Mingyur Rinpoche are currently starting an online course as part of Vajrayana online called Heart of Tantra. This will focus on creation and completion, the two elements of Sadhana practice. Highly recommended.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

All these answers are great.
In general, you should read the sadhana text in the language you understand so that you are familiar with what you will be singing/chanting during actual practice, which might be in Tibetan or whatever. Study it and try to remember what’s basically going on. Opening supplications, generation stage, etc, dedication of merit and so on. Gradually more and more of it will become clear, maybe you will get teachings on some of the more profound or subtle aspects (because it seems there are lots of dimensions to everything). But the best thing is if you can really “know it” just as you know the plot and quotes from a movie.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

When you do a sadhana practice,
And you get to the end of it,
Then, it’s done.
:roll:
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Dharmalight889 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:38 am Been reading more on Tantra and I am a bit confused on how sadhana practice is done?
To begin, you strip naked in a graveyard at midnight on a full moon and smear yourself and your consort with ashes.
Dharmaswede

Post by Dharmaswede »

For me, the turning point was finding a teacher that helped me understand the practice of Sadhanas from the "inside," that helped me make the practice come alive. Previously, I had listened to a number of great teachers, but I still didn't get it – such were my thick obscurations. Thus, my practice was just a conceptual dry hump.

So don't despair if you listen to qualified teachers, and still struggle. Keep looking, keep listening, for a voice that speaks directly to you.
heart

Post by heart »

Dharmaswede wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:08 pm For me, the turning point was finding a teacher that helped me understand the practice of Sadhanas from the "inside," that helped me make the practice come alive. Previously, I had listened to a number of great teachers, but I still didn't get it – such were my thick obscurations. Thus, my practice was just a conceptual dry hump.

So don't despair if you listen to qualified teachers, and still struggle. Keep looking, keep listening, for a voice that speaks directly to you.
:good:
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”