40c temp London next two days possible

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: 40c temp London next two days possible

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:49 pm Lots of good ideas here for cooling down European (and American) cities - https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... ing-cities.
Solutions start with light-coloured roofs and lots of trees, but the article starts with a truly scarily stupid approach now appearing in Dubai.

:coffee:
Kim
This!

We have to change our cities and change them fast. Plant trees in the cities and around them. Green roofs are an absolute blessing in so many ways. Not cutting the grass during summer or at least not cutting it so much that you are left with dirt only. Also collecting rainwater is great.

In one part of Brno the local green mayor actually started her green project years ago and thanks to her staying in position it actually bore fruits. Now even despite energy crises the houses are so well insulated they pay 1/3 compared to other city parts. From the municipality budget only 3% of resources go towards energies in schools and other city owned buldings due to usage of modern technology, good insulation and other policies. They also planted trees and catch water from the roofs of the houses and store it in a pond that cools down surrounding area and houses many birds and insects.

So it is possible. We just have to think beyond the 4 year mandates.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

Which got my wheels turning. Just for me an infinity pool! ... That'll be good enough.
I could wet my tail in it and ahhh ... cool down the temperature. :tongue:
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Miorita wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:09 pm Just for me an infinity pool! ... That'll be good enough.
I’m saving up :cheers:
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:51 pm
Miorita wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:09 pm Just for me an infinity pool! ... That'll be good enough.
Sorry to rain on your parade, folks, but after a run of really hot weather the water in an infinity pool can be too hot to be refreshing, even too hot to be comfortable - it will get up to high 20s, low 30s. And you would, of course, be swimming there in full sun, and burning.

(BTW, all those pink English people flocking to the beaches and sitting in full sun in the heat wave are absolutely nuts!!!)

And of course you wouldn't just use it one week per year. The cost of heating the water the rest of the year would blow your personal carbon budget all by itself. Not to mention the carbon cost of the pool itself... don't even joke about it.

:namaste:
Kim
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Here's a longish read full of expert advice about coping with heatwaves. (Aussies, of course, have had more practice than Europeans or most Americans.)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-23/ ... /101257350
...Heatwaves are Australia's deadliest natural disasters.

So how does the body respond to heat and what can we do to protect ourselves from extremely hot weather?
What happens to our bodies in extreme temperatures?

According to Ollie Jay, professor of heat and health at the University of Sydney and head of the Heat and Health Research Incubator, there are three main pathways that can lead to death when humans are exposed to extreme heat.

Be forewarned, they are all pretty nasty...

What can we do to cool down?

How we handle the heat comes down to both our physiology and our behaviour.

On the eve of a heatwave, there is not a whole lot you can do to improve your physiology, but you can definitely change your behaviour.

Nicole Vargas, lecturer in exercise physiology at the Australian National University Medical School, is an expert on our behaviour and heatwaves.

Behavioural responses to heat include things like drinking enough water, reducing physical activity and seeking shade ... self-dousing, foot submersions, wearing wet clothing, using evaporative coolers, misting fans, electric fans, ice towels, and drinking water. ...
Kim
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:08 am
Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:51 pm
Sorry to rain on your parade, folks, but after a run of really hot weather the water in an infinity pool can be too hot to be refreshing, even too hot to be comfortable - it will get up to high 20s, low 30s. And you would, of course, be swimming there in full sun, and burning.

(BTW, all those pink English people flocking to the beaches and sitting in full sun in the heat wave are absolutely nuts!!!)

And of course you wouldn't just use it one week per year. The cost of heating the water the rest of the year would blow your personal carbon budget all by itself. Not to mention the carbon cost of the pool itself... don't even joke about it.

Kim
A water fountain is always a breeze. It's sukha from Sukavati.

Return to “Lounge”