Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

dharmafootsteps

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by dharmafootsteps »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:37 pm
Malcolm wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:33 pm
dharmafootsteps wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:19 pm Has Longsal volume 7 always been something that was open to anyone who has received DI?
Definitely not.
Allegedly, those who took part in Yeshi's event, are authorised to read whatever Rinpoche taught, whatever whatever means here. Maybe someone reads it literally.
From Yeshi's point of view, I imagine that is literal, he doesn't seem to have any interest in things like lungs and wangs.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:26 pm
You have lost me here.
What I am getting at, treehuggingoctopus, is that Rinpoche is now a Buddha. In addition many of his students will become Buddhas. Buddhas are able to emanate bodies and teach beings based on conditions. When people have merit, they can have that kind of contact. For example, we had the merit to meet Rinpoche. We no longer have that merit. Why? There are not conditions for him to be human anymore. So even though Rinpoche is gone, his activity has not ceased. He is teaching people that have the conditions to have contact with him now. What we can do to further the teachings, is also attain enlightenment ourselves and do the same. There you go, the DC has not disappeared. Rinpoche is carrying it on elsewhere, and so can we.

Virgo
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

dharmafootsteps wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:42 pm

Definitely not.
Allegedly, those who took part in Yeshi's event, are authorised to read whatever Rinpoche taught, whatever whatever means here. Maybe someone reads it literally.
From Yeshi's point of view, I imagine that is literal, he doesn't seem to have any interest in things like lungs and wangs.
True. So maybe a brand new chapter has already begun.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
dharmafootsteps

dharmafootsteps wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:19 pm Has Longsal volume 7 always been something that was open to anyone who has received DI?
Definitely not. They are just trying to work with circumstances as best they know how.
I thought so. What's your take? From the point of view of a student, rather than someone making the decisions, now that they're doing this do you think it's ok to watch it and read the book given the circumstances, or would you advise sticking to restrictions Rinpoche established?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

dharmafootsteps wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:46 pm
Definitely not. They are just trying to work with circumstances as best they know how.
I thought so. What's your take? From the point of view of a student, rather than someone making the decisions, now that they're doing this do you think it's ok to watch it and read the book given the circumstances, or would you advise sticking to restrictions Rinpoche established?
I would advise sticking the restrictions Rinpoche established. If you didn't receive the transmission for it, or the Jñānaḍākini long or don wang, don't read it.
dharmafootsteps

Malcolm wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:52 pm
dharmafootsteps wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:46 pm

I would advise sticking the restrictions Rinpoche established. If you didn't receive the transmission for it, or the Jñānaḍākini long or don wang, don't read it.
Thanks, I appreciate the clarity. WiIl follow your advice.
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

Definitely not.
He gave a rigpa tsel wang a few weeks ago.
I dont know about lungs
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Tata1 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:16 pm
Really? Where you there?
dharmafootsteps

I dont know about lungs
I wasn't there so I can't say exactly what he did, but from what I heard it sounds hard to define it as a rig pa'i rtsal dbang in any traditional understanding of what that is. I would be surprised if Yeshi himself would call it that as he doesn't seem to have any use for traditional Tibetan explanations and terminology, he didn't even teach the symbolic meaning of ཨ, AGY or SoV for example. It seems gave an explanation entirely in his own terms in his own way. Maybe some people consider that a rig pa'i rtsal dbang. :shrug:
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:34 pm
Really? Where you there?
Thats what DC and Merigar say. Unless you are implying they lie or are mistaken.
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

dharmafootsteps wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:39 pm

I dont know about lungs
I wasn't there so I can't say exactly what he did, but from what I heard it sounds hard to define it as a rig pa'i rtsal dbang in any traditional understanding of what that is. I would be surprised if Yeshi himself would call it that as he doesn't seem to have any use for traditional Tibetan explanations and terminology, he didn't even teach the symbolic meaning of ཨ, AGY or SoV for example. It seems gave an explanation entirely in his own terms in his own way. Maybe some people consider that a rig pa'i rtsal dbang. :shrug:
I received Rigpa Tsel Wang and i guess most of the people here who had other teachers besides Chnn without ever mentionig A or Sov. What you say means nothing to me in that sense.
dharmafootsteps

Of course, I’ve also received it without those things. That was just to point out that he doesn’t have an interest in the traditional approach.
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

dharmafootsteps wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:51 pm Of course, I’ve also received it without those things. That was just to point out that he doesn’t have an interest in the traditional approach.
So i guess when Mingyur Rinpoche gives just talking and making you look at mind he is not traditional because he didnt mention A? Or shouting phet?.

Im sorry but you can't say what yeshi or any other person is interested in or not besides yourself. Particularly with yeshi which you seem to have something against.
dharmafootsteps

Tata1 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:54 pm
dharmafootsteps wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:51 pm Of course, I’ve also received it without those things. That was just to point out that he doesn’t have an interest in the traditional approach.
So i guess when Mingyur Rinpoche gives just talking and making you look at mind he is not traditional because he didnt mention A? Or shouting phet?.

Im sorry but you can't say what yeshi or any other person is interested in or not besides yourself. Particularly with yeshi which you seem to have something against.
I actually have nothing against Yeshi at all. I simply don’t know what exactly it is he’s teaching. As such I don’t have a strong opinion of him in any direction.

I didn’t think the idea that he is uninterested in traditional Tibetan methods and approaches was a controversial opinion by this point. I only say that because I’ve listened to him express as much himself. As have many people, many times, many ways.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

This to me sounds like the ideal point to close it with for now. Thank you guys a lot for many wonderful contributions, however at this point we are just going round and round and round in circles, aren't we? I will debate future of this thread with other mods, if anyone has anything to add (or has some reasons why this thread should be re-opened) please contact me via PM, your input might be taken into account. In the meantime be present, do your best and maybe consider visiting/suporting your local DC center. After all we are a family and DC is still something Rinpoche cared about deeply, like it or not.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra

Return to “Dzogchen”