Resolution on two karmapas situation - update?

Pårl

Resolution on two karmapas situation - update?

Post by Pårl »

Hi there,

We were discussing on an older post the current situation where there are two claimants to the title karmapa and how this is dividing the Kagyu sangha. Does anyone know if there has been any progress made on this less-than-ideal situation? Although being the Dalai Lama of the Gelug school, I believe that HH has agreed that the official 17th Gyalwang Karmapa is Ogyen Trinley Dorje.

Has anyone heard anything useful that helps clarify the current situation or does anyone have particulaly strong feelings one way or the other. Or is it - in this special case - a peaceful co-existence perhaps the only realistic way forward?

Looking forward to other people's thoughts.

Pårl.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: Resolution on two karmapas situation - update?

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Not much. Three years ago the two Karmapas met for the very first time and had a nice talk together. There was a small article about it. But that is really it.

The division is still there and some sanghas still have a lot of animosity towards the other Karmapa (European based Diamond Way Buddhism being one of those groups afaik). So still a hot mess, however at this time hot with old untreated infection. I am afraid there is no hope of healing now.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Pårl wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:44 pm Although being the Dalai Lama of the Gelug school, I believe that HH has agreed that the official 17th Gyalwang Karmapa is Ogyen Trinley Dorje.
Dalai Lama is actually not the head of Gelug Sect, that honor belongs to Ganden Tripa which is a rotating position usually filled up from one of the two former abbots from two Tantric Colleges of Gyume or Gyuto
Life is like a game, either you win or lose!
Life is like a fight, either you live or die!
Life is like a show, either you laugh or cry!
Life is like a dream, either you know or not!!!
Pårl

Post by Pårl »

Interesting.Thanks both.

I follow the Kagyu school so find the whole Karmapa thing a bit perplexing.

Thanks also for the information about the Gelug sect. It was just an assumption on my part that HH would be the formal head of Gelug. Now I know!

Return to “Kagyu”