Sakya Ghantapada Tradition?

Kai lord

Re: Sakya Ghantapada Tradition?

Post by Kai lord »

KonchogUrgyenNyima wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:07 pm
Tilopa ===> Naropa ====> Two Pamtingpa brothers ====> Sherab Tseg ====> Mal Lotsawa====> Five lords of Sakyapa

Does anyone have any literature recommendations for studying this lineage and their life stories?
For the Indian lineage masters, read this

Buddha's Lions: The Lives of the Eighty-Four Siddhas

You can read about the lives of five patriarchs of Sakya from most Lamdre texts.

The Pamthingpa Brothers
Life is like a game, either you win or lose!
Life is like a fight, either you live or die!
Life is like a show, either you laugh or cry!
Life is like a dream, either you know or not!!!
Kai lord

Re: Sakya Ghantapada Tradition?

Post by Kai lord »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:13 pm
Kai lord wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:59 pm Anyway since we are on the topic, Drikung Kagyu published a short history on their Vajrayogini/vajravarahi teachings recently, so I thought I would share here.
However, the Yogini practiced in Drikung comes from Lakṣminkara, not Naropa. I've received it.
That story was newly added for motivation purposes to the sadhana that drikung kagyu uses as preliminary for six yogas of naropa. Its basically a generation stage practice of vajrayogini.

That sadhana is said to be derived from the text called "The generation stage liberating instructions of bhavagati vajrayogini with faces of the two truths".

That text was claimed to have obtained by Marpa inside a large tooth of Buddha in the cemetery in bodhi gaya as instructed by Naropa after he received the four signs or symbols empowerments from vajrayogini.

I know there were some centuries long to and fro debate about this particular encounter of Marpa and whether it constituted as a full empowerments or a mere blessing among the ancient sakya scholars and Sapan but I was never that interested to dwell too deep into that long debate.

But either way its from vajrayogini to Marpa directly bypassing naropa
Life is like a game, either you win or lose!
Life is like a fight, either you live or die!
Life is like a show, either you laugh or cry!
Life is like a dream, either you know or not!!!

Return to “Sakya”