Guhyasamaja Empowerments

videodhara

Guhyasamaja Empowerments

Post by videodhara »

I’m a practitioner mostly involved in the Nyingma and Kagyü traditions, have completed ngöndro and am mostly engaged in dzogchen-related practices, kind of just how the karmic cookie crumbled. I’ve embraced these practices for a long time, but for just as long I’ve felt an extremely strong pull -call it karmic, call it energetic, I don’t really know- towards Guhyasamaja practice. It’s like I know that, if I can find a retreat or an empowerment, the practice will fit me like a glove, and I’ll be able to shake off this feeling that my current kyerim/dzogrim practice is -to belabor the metaphor- a practical but ill-fitting suit…now I’m afraid I’m going to be accused of Yidam adultery but…

Does anyone know whether there are (presumably Gelug) lamas who have offered or will offer Guhyasamaja empowerments. I’ve looked around on and off for a long time and have always come up with nothing. I’m almost at the point that I’m practically willing to travel half-way around the world if the opportunity is there. Just putting out feelers here to see if there’s any hope this is something that could potentially happen.
zerwe

Re: Guhyasamaja Empowerments

Post by zerwe »

videodhara wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:05 am I’m a practitioner mostly involved in the Nyingma and Kagyü traditions, have completed ngöndro and am mostly engaged in dzogchen-related practices, kind of just how the karmic cookie crumbled. I’ve embraced these practices for a long time, but for just as long I’ve felt an extremely strong pull -call it karmic, call it energetic, I don’t really know- towards Guhyasamaja practice. It’s like I know that, if I can find a retreat or an empowerment, the practice will fit me like a glove, and I’ll be able to shake off this feeling that my current kyerim/dzogrim practice is -to belabor the metaphor- a practical but ill-fitting suit…now I’m afraid I’m going to be accused of Yidam adultery but…

Does anyone know whether there are (presumably Gelug) lamas who have offered or will offer Guhyasamaja empowerments. I’ve looked around on and off for a long time and have always come up with nothing. I’m almost at the point that I’m practically willing to travel half-way around the world if the opportunity is there. Just putting out feelers here to see if there’s any hope this is something that could potentially happen.
Lama Zopa is supposed to be giving Guhyasamaja in Australia at Bendigo--currently, now to be scheduled in 2024. It has been pushed back a couple times due to COIVD. With that said, it may be difficult (Not impossible) to plan to just show up for the Tagon and the empowerment, as Rinpoche is giving it in the context of a longer ongoing retreat (i.e., the expectation is that you would commit to the duration of his scheduled teachings in order to receive it).

Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Jampa (considered one of the foremost lineage holders and experts in Guhyasamaja) was going to give it this year, but it was explained to me that-- unfortunately due to Rinpoche manifesting difficulty in sitting for long periods it would appear unlikely that he would be able give this empowerment.

I wish you well in your search as I too aspire to receive this transmission one day.

Shaun :namaste:
Dharmadale

Post by Dharmadale »

I remember watching one of Jhado Rinpoche's recent North American teachings during which he praised the center for inviting him to come back and give the Guhyasamaja initiation. I think the centre was the Land of Medicine Buddha. I got the impression it was a centre Rinpoche visits regularly.
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

videodhara wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:05 am I’m a practitioner mostly involved in the Nyingma and Kagyü traditions, have completed ngöndro and am mostly engaged in dzogchen-related practices, kind of just how the karmic cookie crumbled. I’ve embraced these practices for a long time, but for just as long I’ve felt an extremely strong pull -call it karmic, call it energetic, I don’t really know- towards Guhyasamaja practice. It’s like I know that, if I can find a retreat or an empowerment, the practice will fit me like a glove, and I’ll be able to shake off this feeling that my current kyerim/dzogrim practice is -to belabor the metaphor- a practical but ill-fitting suit…now I’m afraid I’m going to be accused of Yidam adultery but…

You're probably just reaching very deep into your Nyingma roots, since Guhyasamaja is one of the 18 Mahayoga Tantras and the lineage was extant in Tibet prior to the Sarma transmissions. It may be worth asking your Nyingma lamas if they hold the transmission. The Gelug transmission relies mostly on Marpa's lineage.

Would you mind mentioning at least which continent you're on? Gosok Rinpoche, the current Jangtse Choje has centres in Canada and France and regularly bestows the major initiations, including Guhyasamaja at his Toronto centre in 2019. Land of Compassion Buddha in Edmonton did a lot of Guhyasamaja focused events starting 2019, they hosted the initiation, 45 day full enabling retreat (plus fire puja which takes longer than for other yidams as you need to make 10,000 offerings, around five or six hours to complete), and year long commentary on the long sadhana. They have a permanent Guhyasamaja sand mandala on site.
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Guhyasamja is a beautiful deity, its like a natural manifestation of Vajradhara after five Dhyana Buddhas dissolve into Aksobhya just like the winds. :P

Agree on the fact that Guhyasamja is among the earliest HYT. I meant just look at the lineage tree for Arya lineage that stretches way before Saraha who is widely regarded as one of the earliest mahasiddhas and father of the chakrasamvara lineage.
Vajradhara, Vajrapani, Raja Indrabhuti, Lho Chog Gyatsoi Lhu, Lhule Jungwai Yeshe kyi Khandroma, Odyana Bishi Gyalpo, Vishukalpa, Maha Brahmin Saraha, Acharya Nagarjuna, Aryadeva, Acharya Dawa Dragpa, Lopai Vajra, Chopawa, Padeva, Palwe, Vidya Bhadra, Devakara, Lama Go Lotsawa, Upa Geser, Nang Khaupa Kuche, The Lord of Dharma Sakyapa, Khau Dorje Dudjom, Jetsun Chenpo, Choje Pandita, Lama Chokyi Gyalpo Rinpoche.
Life is like a game, either you win or lose!
Life is like a fight, either you live or die!
Life is like a show, either you laugh or cry!
Life is like a dream, either you know or not!!!
videodhara

Post by videodhara »

jmlee369 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:05 am

You're probably just reaching very deep into your Nyingma roots, since Guhyasamaja is one of the 18 Mahayoga Tantras and the lineage was extant in Tibet prior to the Sarma transmissions. It may be worth asking your Nyingma lamas if they hold the transmission. The Gelug transmission relies mostly on Marpa's lineage.

Would you mind mentioning at least which continent you're on? Gosok Rinpoche, the current Jangtse Choje has centres in Canada and France and regularly bestows the major initiations, including Guhyasamaja at his Toronto centre in 2019. Land of Compassion Buddha in Edmonton did a lot of Guhyasamaja focused events starting 2019, they hosted the initiation, 45 day full enabling retreat (plus fire puja which takes longer than for other yidams as you need to make 10,000 offerings, around five or six hours to complete), and year long commentary on the long sadhana. They have a permanent Guhyasamaja sand mandala on site.
Thanks for the interesting info on Nyingma ties to Guhyasamaja. I will ask my teachers about it on retreat next month. I know they’ve given Kalacakra empowerment in the past, either on same retreat or separately, don’t recall, and small group empowerments, but mostly for things like Mahakala, which is not as involved as I imagine anuttarayoga transmissions. Curious about the lineage now, as the only one that seems well documented and prevalent is the Arya Nagarjuna lineage.

I’m in north east US, so Canada doesn’t seem like too much of a stretch we’re they to start another cycle of empowerments, retreats, and teachings. I have the good fortune to be able to take long periods of time off from work , so a 45 day retreat would potentially be doable for me, and these days, I imagine a cycle of teaching over a long period of time might be offered remotely (one of the few up sides to these long and trying years!) I will keep an eye on their website/newsletters. Thanks again!
videodhara

Post by videodhara »

zerwe wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:05 am

Lama Zopa is supposed to be giving Guhyasamaja in Australia at Bendigo--currently, now to be scheduled in 2024. It has been pushed back a couple times due to COIVD. With that said, it may be difficult (Not impossible) to plan to just show up for the Tagon and the empowerment, as Rinpoche is giving it in the context of a longer ongoing retreat (i.e., the expectation is that you would commit to the duration of his scheduled teachings in order to receive it).

Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Jampa (considered one of the foremost lineage holders and experts in Guhyasamaja) was going to give it this year, but it was explained to me that-- unfortunately due to Rinpoche manifesting difficulty in sitting for long periods it would appear unlikely that he would be able give this empowerment.

I wish you well in your search as I too aspire to receive this transmission one day.

Shaun :namaste:
Thanks for the info! 2024 gives me a nice bit of time to plan and look into the prerequisites. I’m willing to travel for retreat, and perhaps the teachings leading up to the empowerment will be transmitted remotely, as so many seem to be these days! Unfortunate to hear of Khensur Rinpoche’ s difficulties. Hopefully he may regain his strength.
Dharmadale

Post by Dharmadale »

H.E. the 104th Ganden Tripa has just announced he is giving Guhyasamaja (as well as Chakrasamvara & Yamantaka) in December at Sera Jey Monastery. It is open to lay people although there is no indication that there will be English translation.
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Dharmadale wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:47 am H.E. the 104th Ganden Tripa has just announced he is giving Guhyasamaja (as well as Chakrasamvara & Yamantaka) in December at Sera Jey Monastery. It is open to lay people although there is no indication that there will be English translation.
It's likely that there will be a translation, Sera Jey have their own translation committee now that I've been told are producing high quality translations. However, it is unlikely that these teachings will be livestreamed.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
tony_montana

Post by tony_montana »

Dharmadale wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:47 am H.E. the 104th Ganden Tripa has just announced he is giving Guhyasamaja (as well as Chakrasamvara & Yamantaka) in December at Sera Jey Monastery. It is open to lay people although there is no indication that there will be English translation.
Hi, do you have a link to this announcement by any chance. I am planning on travelling to Sera Jay for these empowerments, it would be great to be able to stay updated with Rinpoche's announcements, thanks. :anjali:
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

tony_montana wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:07 pm
Hi, do you have a link to this announcement by any chance. I am planning on travelling to Sera Jay for these empowerments, it would be great to be able to stay updated with Rinpoche's announcements, thanks. :anjali:
Life is like a game, either you win or lose!
Life is like a fight, either you live or die!
Life is like a show, either you laugh or cry!
Life is like a dream, either you know or not!!!
Dharmadale

Post by Dharmadale »

I saw the announcement on Rinpoche’s Facebook page which is called ‘104 Gaden Tri Rinpoche Lobsang Tenzin’. That might be the best place to keep updated.
videodhara

Post by videodhara »

If I’m not on Facebook is it possible to find out more about this? I’m checking the Sera Jey website and not finding anything, but I may be looking in the wrong places as I’m not familiar with it.
tony_montana

Post by tony_montana »

videodhara wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:49 pm
If I’m not on Facebook is it possible to find out more about this? I’m checking the Sera Jey website and not finding anything, but I may be looking in the wrong places as I’m not familiar with it.
The notice in the Facebook page is in this flyer really: Image

also, even you don't have a facebook page you can still visit the Ganden Tri Rinpoiche's page to view any updates: https://www.facebook.com/104-Gaden-Tri- ... 2444464506
videodhara

Post by videodhara »

tony_montana wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:22 pm
videodhara wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:49 pm
The notice in the Facebook page is in this flyer really: Image

also, even you don't have a facebook page you can still visit the Ganden Tri Rinpoiche's page to view any updates: https://www.facebook.com/104-Gaden-Tri- ... 2444464506
Thanks, I’ll keep an eye out, though at this point it feels like there won’t be enough time/information to be able to plan such a serious trip.
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

videodhara wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:41 am Thanks, I’ll keep an eye out, though at this point it feels like there won’t be enough time/information to be able to plan such a serious trip.
If you planned now you'd have time, typically not much more information is given than this for teachings. You can apply for the PAP online now, same as visas.

The Sera Jey website is rarely updated Facebook is where most things are shared.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

Return to “Gelug”