When we say "enlightenment in one lifetime"...

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Inedible

Re: When we say "enlightenment in one lifetime"...

Post by Inedible »

How do you think I became a cynic?

But seriously, how many people here are willing to say you think you have a reasonable chance of becoming a Buddha before you die? And how does that drop off after 5, 10, 20, or 40 years of practice?
heart

Post by heart »

Inedible wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:28 am How do you think I became a cynic?

But seriously, how many people here are willing to say you think you have a reasonable chance of becoming a Buddha before you die? And how does that drop off after 5, 10, 20, or 40 years of practice?
We all have a reasonable chance because buddhahood is not far away at all.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
n8pee

Post by n8pee »

Inedible wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:28 am But seriously, how many people here are willing to say you think you have a reasonable chance of becoming a Buddha before you die? And how does that drop off after 5, 10, 20, or 40 years of practice?
I certainly don't think I will acheive Buddhahood in this life. At the time of death I will certainly do my best. 20 years of practice here.

What's the alternative? Spiral further down samsara?
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

n8pee wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:35 pm I certainly don't think I will acheive Buddhahood in this life. At the time of death I will certainly do my best. 20 years of practice here.

Well, there is always phowa before the time of death and you can get credible masters to help you with the process if you are not confident.
Life is like a game, either you win or lose!
Life is like a fight, either you live or die!
Life is like a show, either you laugh or cry!
Life is like a dream, either you know or not!!!
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

One of those websites said that if you can memorize the long mantra of the Surangama Sutra then your human life will have been well spent.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

The question nreally is "how much effort are we willing to put into it". With the right method and correct effort we can be at least liberated.

But that takes renunciation and dilligence...
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

The vehicles that claim one can become a Buddha in one lifetime also explain the difference between Buddha and sentient beings, and that is the key point in understanding that it isn't something completely inconceivable, remote and unattainable, it is in fact very attainable.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Now we are circling back around to it. Has anyone here on the forum actually done it? This is only a fair question with so many people in this thread alone telling me it is easier and more possible than I think. If you haven't done it, you don't get to say you can do it.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Inedible wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:57 am Now we are circling back around to it. Has anyone here on the forum actually done it? This is only a fair question with so many people in this thread alone telling me it is easier and more possible than I think. If you haven't done it, you don't get to say you can do it.
I'm not a Buddha but:

My policy is that I never talk about attainments in public fora.

But I do when contacted by private means. No problem.

I think many wise people will do the same... It's quite sound.

So you can try asking some people you found they seem wise... but in private.

The reasons are many, and based on experience... it seems a better way...
Tao

Post by Tao »

Oh, didnt know it's even in the ToS of this forum:

CLAIMS OF ATTAINMENT

It is strongly recommended that Members not make claims of higher attainments for themselves as it tends to cause disruption. If anyone feels that they have such attainments, they should use that wisdom to help guide the discourse rather than draw attention to oneself.
florin

Post by florin »

n8pee wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:35 pm
Just try to stay connected to dharma in whatever shape or form you can.
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

Tao wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:31 am Oh, didnt know it's even in the ToS of this forum:

CLAIMS OF ATTAINMENT

It is strongly recommended that Members not make claims of higher attainments for themselves as it tends to cause disruption. If anyone feels that they have such attainments, they should use that wisdom to help guide the discourse rather than draw attention to oneself.
I would joke: "Please excuse Inedible. He's from Barcelona." Except that you're literally the one from Barcelona. :lol:

(And hopefully can take a joke. ;) )
Tao

Post by Tao »

Archie2009 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:51 pm (And hopefully can take a joke. ;) )
I can. :)

I'm enlightened !!!!

(A joke too, of course)

:rolling:

BTW: We're not mexicans but catalans. :D

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”