Trying to correlate a few 84000 sutras with their Taishō #s

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Leo Rivers

Trying to correlate a few 84000 sutras with their Taishō #s

Post by Leo Rivers »

Trying to correlate a few 84000 sūtras with their Taishō #

I have 2 0f 7, not bad....

My goal is to go from that to adding English printed text version data and web locations.

T. 348 Petitioned by Maitreya, maitriya paripṛhccha - An Shih-kao
The Question of Maitreya (2) on 84000

T. 349 Sūtra on Maitreya’s Inquiry, Maitreya-paripṛcchā,
Mile pusa suo wen benyuan jing - Dharmarakṣa
The Question of Maitreya (1) on 84000

Maitreya is also found in sutras other than the Āgamas,
“The six non-Āgama Maitreya sutras” are :

P-1. the Sutra on the Descending Birth of Maitreya
(T.453:421a:421a–423c), translated by Dharmarakṣa (230?–316);
Mile xiasheng jing - Dharmarakṣa

P-2. the Sutra on the Descending Birth of Maitreya
(T.454:423c– 425c), translated by Kumārajīva (344–413);
Mile xiasheng chengfo jing - Kumarājīva/Jiumoloushi - (an abridgment of T 456 according to Demiéville)

P-3. the Sutra on Maitreya’s Descending Birth and Becoming Buddha
(T.455:426a–428b), Mile xiasheng chengfo jing, translated by Yijing (635– 713);

P-4. the Sutra on Maitreya Becoming Buddha
(T.456:428b–434b), translated by Kumārajīva (344–413);
Mile dacheng fo jing - - Kumarājīva/Jiumoloushi

P-5. the Sutra on the Time of Maitreya’s Arrival
(T.457:434b–435a), translator unknown (unknown);

P-6. the Sutra on the Visualization of Maitreya Bodhisattva’s Ascending Birth in Tuṣita Heaven
(T.452:418b–420c), translated by Juqu Jing- sheng (?–464).
Guan Mile pusa shangsheng Doushuai-tian jing

T. 457 Sūtra on the time of Maitreya's arrival, Mile lai shi jing - Anonymous (317-420)

Thanks Leo
Zhen Li

Re: Trying to correlate a few 84000 sutras with their Taishō #s

Post by Zhen Li »

Hi Leo,

This is a tedious job, but one that is interesting and may be worth it in the long run.

A lot of these don't have published translations from Chinese, but now we have the machine translation of the CBETA corpus, we can at least see a rough draft of what it looks like.

This will help you immensely: http://www.acmuller.net/descriptive_cat ... ohoku.html

In the 84000.co published translations page, sort it by Tōhoku number and you will be able to line them up one to one. In the case of entries with multiple texts, you may need to go through the Koryeo numbers to find the right one. Then when you match it up, you can find the Taishō number by the Koryeo number. For example:

Toh 1-1 "Chapter on Going Forth" = T.1444 (根本說一切有部毘奈耶出家事)
Toh 1-6 "The Chapter on Medicines" = T.1448 (根本說一切有部毘奈耶藥事)
Toh 10 "The Perfection of Wisdom in Eighteen Thousand Lines" = T.220(3) (般若波羅蜜多經), fascicles 479-537
Toh 11 "The Transcendent Perfection of Wisdom in Ten Thousand Lines" = Not part of 般若波羅蜜多經.
Toh 21 "The Heart of the Perfection of Wisdom, the Blessed Mother" = (般若波羅蜜多心經) T.250, T.251, T.252, T.253, T.257
Toh 44-31 "The Ten Bhūmis" = T.286 (十住經)

Etc.

To link these to English equivalents might be a tricky task but I tried to at least find English versions linkable online in my English Taishō Tripiṭaka project. Some of the links are broken or have issues, but for the most part, it should work.
Leo Rivers

Re: Trying to correlate a few 84000 sutras with their Taishō #s

Post by Leo Rivers »

Thank you!
! The Korean Buddhist Canon: A Descriptive Catalogue

One of my great regrets is not managing to pursue a real education, learning the needed languages, Chinese and Sanskrit back in the 80s when I had the energy, but not the bank. I am humbled by the skills of the folks who post here.

PS: I found An English Translation of the Banya paramilda simgyeong chan: Wonch'uk's Commentary on the Heart Sūtra By Hyun Choo1
https://buddhism.lib.ntu.edu.tw/en/sear ... seq=543773

- next on my list Wonch'uk's commentary on the Samdhinirmocana. [it could happen]

Return to “Sūtra Studies”