The Dalai Lama will be granting the Heruka Initiation of the Luipa Tradition 8-10 Jul 2022 (Indian time)

tony_montana

The Dalai Lama will be granting the Heruka Initiation of the Luipa Tradition 8-10 Jul 2022 (Indian time)

Post by tony_montana »

I have posted this in the Events section, but I'm posting it here as well since it may be of special interest to the members using the Gelug forum.

His Holiness will confer the Heruka Initiation of the Luipa Tradition (dechok luipa wang) in the mornings at the request of Gyudmey and Gyuto Tantric Colleges in Dharamsala at the Main Tibetan Temple (tsuglhakhang). July 8 will be the Preliminary Initiation and July 9 and 10 will be the Actual Initiation.

!!! Please note that people attending the initiation are required to do the daily practice of the Luipa Chakrasamvara Sadhana (luipe dechok dakye) or al least the Triple Purification Practice (dakpa sum kyi nyeljor) of Chakrasamvara. !!! [Please note the Samaya/commitment for the empowerment, it is only advisable to attend if you can commit to this]

Youtube Links for the Empowerment in case you're interested. Be sure that you're ok with the samaya as stated above:
8 Jul 2022 -- Preliminary Empowerment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0r0RhYxlrM

9 Jul 2022 -- First Day of the Actual Empowerment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHhNfdE0HYc

10 Jul 2022 -- Second Day of the Actual Empowerment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txXNBZYf7cQ

Reported beginning time is 8:00 AM Indian time, but it might be better to join an hour or 90 minutes earlier as these events have started earlier than scheduled in the past.

Kindly visit https://www.dalailama.com/schedule to be informed of any updates/changes to the event details (please note that I am not associated with the event organizers in any way, I am just passing on the message).
ThreeVows

Re: The Dalai Lama will be granting the Heruka Initiation of the Luipa Tradition 8-10 Jul 2022 (Indian time)

Post by ThreeVows »

tony_montana wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:05 pm Youtube Links for the Empowerment in case you're interested.
Just for clarification, is this an in-person empowerment only or this is something that one can do remotely?
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Lobsang Chojor

Re: The Dalai Lama will be granting the Heruka Initiation of the Luipa Tradition 8-10 Jul 2022 (Indian time)

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Seeker12 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:08 pm
tony_montana wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:05 pm Youtube Links for the Empowerment in case you're interested.
Just for clarification, is this an in-person empowerment only or this is something that one can do remotely?
It seems that His Holiness will allow the empowerment to be taken through livestream. His Holiness has allowed this for the recent Gyalwa Gyatso empowerment and previous HYT empowerments.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:38 pm It seems that His Holiness will allow the empowerment to be taken through livestream. His Holiness has allowed this for the recent Gyalwa Gyatso empowerment and previous HYT empowerments.
Interesting. Out of curiosity, is there any sort of... stand-in for empowerment substances? For example I believe Garchen Rinpoche will tell people doing certain empowerments via livestream to use consecrated pills at a certain point if they have them. Or is it simply done via visualization/faith, basically?
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
tony_montana

Post by tony_montana »

Guys, the daily sadhana for commitment - does it need to be the long sadhana, or would the short sadhana suffice?
heart

Post by heart »

tony_montana wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:47 pm Guys, the daily sadhana for commitment - does it need to be the long sadhana, or would the short sadhana suffice?
According to the Gelug tradition you should practice the six session Guru Yoga. At least that is what I understood from the discussion in an other thread.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Seeker12 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:41 pm Interesting. Out of curiosity, is there any sort of... stand-in for empowerment substances? For example I believe Garchen Rinpoche will tell people doing certain empowerments via livestream to use consecrated pills at a certain point if they have them. Or is it simply done via visualization/faith, basically?
Simply by visualisation, I've been at in person empowerments with His Holiness where they couldn't get around everyone with the blessed chord and water for example. It could be different this time but I imagine not because of the difficulty getting things on short notice.
tony_montana wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:47 pm Guys, the daily sadhana for commitment - does it need to be the long sadhana, or would the short sadhana suffice?
I'm not sure about the short Chakrasamvara sadhana you'd have to ask but I've been told that the Triple Purification Practice is quite short if you're worried about time.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

heart wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:27 pm According to the Gelug tradition you should practice the six session Guru Yoga. At least that is what I understood from the discussion in an other thread.

/magnus
I believe that would be separated, normally all HYT empowerments in Gelug require Six Session Guru Yoga and then you can have extra sadhana commitments like being given here.

As far as I'm aware the reason for the Six Session Guru Yoga is to fulfill the samayas of the five Buddha families, because it involves recalling the vows, offering a mandala to the guru etc. but this is a unique Gelug opinion the other schools don't say you have to do it like this.
Terma

Post by Terma »

I have been advised by a Lama friend that the Three Purifications is sufficient and fairly short. The short Sadhana itself has the three purifications as part of the sadhana so that is covered also.

At least there is no mandatory Sadhana commitment aside from Three Purifications. This is good because I have been advised that the 5 deity Heruka from Ghantapada is much more accessible for Westerners and has a very good translated commentary, but this requires that specific initiation of that lineage and I think this is given much more often. There are other specific practice reasons that I won't go into as to why 5 deity is essential even for those having Luipa Heruka as their main practice.
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

heart wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:27 pm
According to the Gelug tradition you should practice the six session Guru Yoga. At least that is what I understood from the discussion in an other thread.

/magnus
This (6 session guru yoga) is in addition to any other commitments the teacher requires for those requesting empowerment. So, in short you would have both 6 session guru yoga, the daily sadhana practice requirement, and likely bi-monthly tsog for this particular initiation.

Shaun :namaste:
Terma

Post by Terma »

zerwe wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:19 pm

/magnus
This (6 session guru yoga) is in addition to any other commitments the teacher requires for those requesting empowerment. So, in short you would have both 6 session guru yoga, the daily sadhana practice requirement, and likely bi-monthly tsog for this particular initiation.

This makes sense. Is there a particular tsog to be done, or can one do a shorter one if time isn't as avsilable as is other times?

A more elaborate approach is always best, but sometimes it isn't so easy. I know there is a pretty short tsog (maybe 4 pages or so), and I was curious if this could be done in conjunction with Sadhana when time doesn't permit?

Really trying to consider all of these things before deciding on whether to receive this or not. Six session guru yoga is already a thing, and I know the three purifications isn't that long and there is a fairly short Sadhana one could do which includes that. I feel that it won't be too much to take on, but I want to be absolutely certain before hand.
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Terma wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:43 pm
zerwe wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:19 pm

/magnus

This makes sense. Is there a particular tsog to be done, or can one do a shorter one if time isn't as avsilable as is other times?

A more elaborate approach is always best, but sometimes it isn't so easy. I know there is a pretty short tsog (maybe 4 pages or so), and I was curious if this could be done in conjunction with Sadhana when time doesn't permit?

Really trying to consider all of these things before deciding on whether to receive this or not. Six session guru yoga is already a thing, and I know the three purifications isn't that long and there is a fairly short Sadhana one could do which includes that. I feel that it won't be too much to take on, but I want to be absolutely certain before hand.
Many people do Lama Chopa (if done properly, takes about an hour minimum). Lama Chopa is an absolutely incredible practice and some consider it the heart practice of the entire lineage. There are different Tsog texts for each deity. One example would be the Tsog that is part of the Long VY sadhana. Another is an adaptation of Lama Chopa that is for Yamantaka. There are others of varying lengths. Lama Zopa has composed an extremely brief Tsog offering that can be done in conjunction with self-generation of any HYT deity and this can be done in a matter of minutes.

There is a text that FPMT have put together which is a sort of compendium of everything a HYT practitioner needs, with commentaries, etc...

Late edit addendum--w/ Mother Tantra bi-monthly Tsog is given as a commitment most of the time. However, it is specific to Vajrayogini where it is compulsory.

Shaun
Terma

Post by Terma »

zerwe wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:36 pm There is a text that FPMT have put together which is a sort of compendium of everything a HYT practitioner needs, with commentaries, etc...
Shaun
Would you be able to PM the details of this, it might be pretty helpful.

Does Lama Chopa contain six session guru yoga, or must they still be done separately? Yes, I have heard that for one with time, Lama Chopa is indespensible.

Thanks. 🙏
Dharmadale

Post by Dharmadale »

There is a 62 deity Heruka sadhana (Luipa tradition), written by the First Panchen Lama and translated by Alex Berzin. Does anyone know if this sadhana relates to form of Heruka Chakrasamvara that His Holiness is giving?
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Terma wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:32 am
zerwe wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:36 pm There is a text that FPMT have put together which is a sort of compendium of everything a HYT practitioner needs, with commentaries, etc...
Shaun

Does Lama Chopa contain six session guru yoga, or must they still be done separately? Yes, I have heard that for one with time, Lama Chopa is indespensible.

Thanks. 🙏
PM sent. As far as LC vs 6SGY, this is a question that I have had for some time. I hope to get an answer from one of my teachers, but I have always just done both.

Terma

Post by Terma »

zerwe wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:11 am
Shaun

Thanks. 🙏
PM sent. As far as LC vs 6SGY, this is a question that I have had for some time. I hope to get an answer from one of my teachers, but I have always just done both.

I will run it by a lama (or Geshe) in the next couple of days. It would be good to have clarity on this.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Terma wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:58 am

Thanks. 🙏

I will run it by a lama (or Geshe) in the next couple of days. It would be good to have clarity on this.
Please also ask about combining three purifications and guru puja please.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Terma

Post by Terma »

Konchog1 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:22 am

Sure. Do you mean in the context of six session guru yoga, or something like lama chopa?

I'm pretty sure Three Purifications can either be done as a stand alone, or Along with (after) another practice, but I will ask about that as well.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Terma wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:59 am
Konchog1 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:22 am
Sure. Do you mean in the context of six session guru yoga, or something like lama chopa?

I'm pretty sure Three Purifications can either be done as a stand alone, or Along with (after) another practice, but I will ask about that as well.
Well both six session guru yoga and the lama chopa actually. I'm happy to do three purifications separately from the rest, but if you can mix them together, I would like to.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
tony_montana

Post by tony_montana »

/magnus
Yes that is what I have always been told also, I think the 6 Session Guru Yoga is non-negotiable with any HYT initiation taken from the Gelug lineage. And also it does not need to be very time-consuming/intense. From what I understand, a single repetition of the one-page version followed by five repetitions of the single verse is acceptable, to the best of my understanding. Also, I have been told that you can include all gurus - Gelug, Sakya, Kagyu and Nyingma in this guru yoga. So, I don't see why it should be a problem also.

Return to “Gelug”