Going to a Soto Zen dojo, is there anything I should know beforehand?

wwvb

Going to a Soto Zen dojo, is there anything I should know beforehand?

Post by wwvb »

I'm going to go to a beginner's course to Zen that's being held at a Soto Zen dojo with my cousin. What are the proper ethics to be held, and how should the teacher be referred as?

Thank you! :namaste:

P.S.: My cousin doesn't know a lot about Buddhism - especially zen - and wants to learn a bit before attending, and I don't want to teach him wrong things. Are there any beginner introductions accessible on the internet?
Knotty Veneer

Re: Going to a Soto Zen dojo, is there anything I should know beforehand?

Post by Knotty Veneer »

I think it all depends on the group itself. Ask when you get there. I'm sure someone will help you out. You won't be the first newbie they've had.
This is not the wrong life.
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

Specific forms will differ depending on the temple; if you're going to a beginner's session, they should explain the forms to you when you get there.

General stuff should be pretty commonsense, i.e. dress conservatively (no shorts/skirts, wear dark colors), keep your voices low, etc.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

A few years ago I attended a Rinzai center's beginners meeting- it consisted of a short lecture of the school's history, how to sit and some theory, then a short meditation session, followed by walking meditation, then tea and conversation. If this is a beginners meeting then you'll be instructed as to bows, prostrations and similar. If attending a regular meeting as a newcomer, it might be good to state that and folks will surely help.
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Beginner course typically tells you everything you need to know during the course. All you really need to know before you get there is don’t wear your shoes inside. :smile:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!

Return to “Soto”