HYT Wangs

Konchog1

Re: HYT Wangs

Post by Konchog1 »

zerwe wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:10 pm Not to mention that in Mother Tantra it is required to recite the "eight line praise" daily, as well as, perform Tsog twice monthly.
I hear this a lot. Do you have a source? What vows those this relate to?
zerwe wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:10 pm With the exception of Tsog, 6 session guru yoga is a sort of "packaged" way of ensuring that you honor all of those commitments daily.
That's how I see it. You can fulfill some of the pledges between sessions or during the sadhana but the 6 session guru yoga is make sure you get them all everyday.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Konchog1 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:29 pm
zerwe wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:10 pm Not to mention that in Mother Tantra it is required to recite the "eight line praise" daily, as well as, perform Tsog twice monthly.
I hear this a lot. Do you have a source? What vows those this relate to?
zerwe wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:10 pm With the exception of Tsog, 6 session guru yoga is a sort of "packaged" way of ensuring that you honor all of those commitments daily.
That's how I see it. You can fulfill some of the pledges between sessions or during the sadhana but the 6 session guru yoga is make sure you get them all everyday.
I don't have a specific source on hand from the tantras themselves, but a teaching by Berzin on the vows related to Mother tantra has the "eight line praise" listed as a close bonding practice associated with the 2nd Mother Tantra vow. It was incorporated into 6 session guru yoga by Pabonghka. The 2nd vow is also considered an extension of the the 13th root tantric vow as per Berzin.

Tsog requirement is given for Mother tantra initiations by most Lamas. However, it is a specific (always associated with) requirement to Vajrayogini initiates. Again, this is associated with the 2nd Mother Tantra vow and again considered an extension to the 13th root tantric vow.

Shaun :namaste:
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

tobes wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:58 am Yes one should consider His Holiness as a Rime practitioner - I wonder if this wang was requested by Tai Situ? And also that this was a large public wang webcast globally for Saka Dawa. And that his intent around samayas probably reflects this.

If I was a non-Gelug, I would go by what the guru actually said, not by what was inferred by others.
Absolutely, otherwise it is a bit like the blind leading the blind. I am sorry if I have contributed to any confusion.

Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Sādhaka wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:23 pm
Terma wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:15 pmFrom my experience thus far with the Gelug lineage and it's lamas, lung isn't so crucial, as long as one has the requisite initiation. I think all the essentials for Sadhana was received during the empowerment anyways, such as self-generation, mantra, etc.

Has it been said anytime (or in any text) specifically, that the Six-Session Guruyoga is ‘built in’ to any Gelug Higher Tantra transmission; even if no lung is given for it?

Just bumping the above post, if anyone could please address it….
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Sādhaka wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:32 am
Sādhaka wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:23 pm
Terma wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:15 pmFrom my experience thus far with the Gelug lineage and it's lamas, lung isn't so crucial, as long as one has the requisite initiation. I think all the essentials for Sadhana was received during the empowerment anyways, such as self-generation, mantra, etc.

Has it been said anytime (or in any text) specifically, that the Six-Session Guruyoga is ‘built in’ to any Gelug Higher Tantra transmission; even if no lung is given for it?

Just bumping the above post, if anyone could please address it….
I will see what I can find a definitive answer. Also, Terma is asking his teachers. I'm not sure if he is asking this specifically or not.

Honestly, this is how I have always understood it and I have not been to a HYT initiation where it has NOT been given.

Some examples out there just doing a quick search could explain why I understand it this way and how this persists within the lineage (at least in the FPMT)--

In the Gelug tradition, the Six Session Guru Yoga prayer is a daily commitment for Highest Yoga Tantra initiates (e.g., Guhyasamaja, Chakrasamvara, Vajrayogini, and others).
https://guhyasamajacenter.wordpress.com ... guru-yoga/

From recent teachings at Land of Medicine Buddha--

The Six Session Guru Yoga practice is given to those of us who have taken a highest yoga tantra empowerment — with the mandate to do it for life.

https://landofmedicinebuddha.org/events ... 022-01-23/

Description text from archived teaching by Geshe Ngawang Dakpa--

Students who have taken a Highest Yoga Tantra initiation in the Gelug tradition, undertake a commitment to recite the Six Session Guru Yoga prayer daily

There are a few and I am sure there are many more...

Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Okay Zerwe, thank you for replying.

I’ve not much else to say about the topic at the moment; and am interested to see what Terma may report back here with….
Terma

Post by Terma »

I actually saw this from when HH Gyalwang Karmapa OTD gave the HYT Chakrasamvara initiation.

“The main Kamtsang practice, of course, is Vajra Varahi but this is a very restricted practice and the empowerment should not be given lightly. The Chakrasamvara empowerment is not so restricted, so I thought if we made a Dharma connection through this, it would link to the practice of all the previous Karmapas since I carry the name of the Karmapa. It is also a good way to make a connection with the Secret Mantra Vajrayana, so it is an important occasion.”
“There is one problem, however,” the Karmapa cautioned. “To receive the empowerment, you must make the commitment to do the Four Session Guru Yoga, which is the main guru yoga in the Karma Kamtsang tradition. You could also do any other guru yoga, as each tradition has its guru yoga, such as the Six Session Guru Yoga of the Geluk tradition. Whichever one of them you may choose, the commitment is to do a guru yoga practice every day for the rest of your life.”

https://kagyuoffice.org/the-gyalwang-ka ... powerment/

So it seems it is not really even just a Geluk thing, though I actually thought it was. But I do know that when a Gelug Lama gives HYT, then 6 session guru yoga is pretty much a mandatory requirement.
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:23 am Okay, so if I understand this correctly. The "problem" here are not the general root and branch samayas. It is the specific 5 Buddha families samayas, right? (Link to Berzin's article on them)

If so then my question is does vajrasattva not purify and repair them, or is the issue the question of retaking those vows daily? If so does this extremely brief 6 session guruyoga prayer suffice?
From my gurus and the Three Precious Gems, I take safe direction. With myself clear as a deity, holding vajra and bell, I present you with offerings. Upholding the teachings of sutra and tantra, I restrain myself from a wide array of faulty deeds. Amassing within all constructive measures, I benefit beings through the four types of giving.
- Ngulchu Dharmabhadra
Also does anyone have a different translation? I am a bit allergic to Berzin and his way of translating things due to personal reasons. :oops:
I have seen a commentary by the late Gelek Rinpoche stating explicitly that the recitation of this verse (given in a different translation) will not fulfil the six session guru yoga commitment. However, it was only shown to me by someone else so I do not know which of his teachings it is from. Vajrasattva for sure would purify the transgression and stop it from worsening but to actually restore the vows if they were fully broken would require taking the vows again through initiation or self-initiation (if you are qualified to do so). Vajrasattva alone would not fulfil, for example, the jewel family samayas.
Sādhaka wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:18 pm Now this is something that I don’t get. How could one do the Six-Session practice if no lung was given, or if the attendees did not do the practice with the Dalai Lama?

I would think that some sort of transmission for the specific practice would have to have been received, in order to practice it. At least the lung; and, if not that, then having practiced it with the Gyalwa Dalai Lama (the latter of which would be tantamount to receiving the lung)….

And for Jinasagara, I would assume that the lung for the Sadhana was included somewhere within the Empowerment that the Dalai Lama gave…? Is there a short Sadhana? Perhaps the following:

https://shop.fpmt.org/Gyalwa-Gyatso-Sho ... _1061.html
As Terma has mentioned, lung is not considered to be so crucial for many things in Gelug tantric practice. For example, I have been told that I can practice any sadhana specific to the particular form and lineage of deity that I received initiation for. I have never received a standalone lung for any of my daily practice commitments (other than mantras, which are built into the initiation) like six-session guru yoga or sadhanas. It has not been necessary to receive lung for the sadhana before the enabling/approximation retreat (le-rung) either. We also did not do six-session guru yoga with the guru after the commitment had been given. It's literally the case that a one page text is given out and we are told to do it six times a day for the rest of our life.
Sādhaka wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:23 pm Has it been said anytime (or in any text) specifically, that the Six-Session Guruyoga is ‘built in’ to any Gelug Higher Tantra transmission; even if no lung is given for it?
From Pabongkha Rinpoche's expanded version of Panchen Losang Chokyi Gyaltsen's longer six session guru yoga text:
Anyone who has received the initiation of a tutelary deity from the yoga tantra class or higher must practice the six-session meditation ritual, for it contains benefits that cannot be derived even from those profound instructions that are known in Tibet as the "Golden Teachings"
[...]
any practitioner who has properly received an empowering initiation in one of the great mandalas of either of the two higher classes of tantra and who continues to possess the tantric vows in his mind stream must review all of the general root and secondary vows and pledges each day and, in particular, must maintain the pledges associated with the five lineage buddhas during six periods of practice. If he or she fails to do this, a gross transgression is incurred. As the Adamantine Crest Tantra (Vajrashikhara I think?) declares:
"They should be recited each day three times of the day and night
Whenever a practitioner fails to do so, he incurs a gross transgression."
In this video from a Jinasagara initiation given in 2014, His Holiness the Dalai Lama says that six-session guru yoga is a daily commitment because the tantras teach the daily upholding of the samayas of the five Buddha families.

heart wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:20 am My question was if the yidam is the guru why wouldn't the sadhana fullfil the samayas. My take would be that if you can't do the sadhana then you do the guru yoga to keep the samayas but here they say that the sadhana (guru yoga) don't fullfil the samaya, you must do guru yoga. Weird.

/magnus
treehuggingoctopus wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:26 am
heart wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:20 am I have no problem understanding this but why wouldn't the sadhana fullfil the samayas?

/magnus
After all, a HYT sadhana -- any HYT sadhana -- is a guru yoga practice.

It seems that whereas for the Ka-Nying a guru yoga is a guru yoga is a guru yoga, in the end, for at least some Geluk practtioners it is not so.
It's more the whole six times requirement. If you are doing your sadhana six times a day, that would pretty much cover it (except, perhaps the samayas of the lotus and jewel families). Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche mentions in Medicine is Poison that serious Sakya practitioners do practice in four sessions daily. I also recall him mentioning a Bhutanese yogi he knew who does practice every four hours, even interrupting his sleep, to fulfil the six times a day requirement literally.

More generally, one of the vows of refuge prescribes taking refuge three times in the morning and three times at night. The same thing with generating bodhicitta in general Mahayana. And in tantra, Fifty Verses on Guru (Devotion) states that one should worship the guru with mandala offering three times a day (and three times at night according to Pabongkha Rinpoche's six session guru yoga text).
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Terma wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:36 am I actually saw this from when HH Gyalwang Karmapa OTD gave the HYT Chakrasamvara initiation.

“The main Kamtsang practice, of course, is Vajra Varahi but this is a very restricted practice and the empowerment should not be given lightly. The Chakrasamvara empowerment is not so restricted, so I thought if we made a Dharma connection through this, it would link to the practice of all the previous Karmapas since I carry the name of the Karmapa. It is also a good way to make a connection with the Secret Mantra Vajrayana, so it is an important occasion.”
“There is one problem, however,” the Karmapa cautioned. “To receive the empowerment, you must make the commitment to do the Four Session Guru Yoga, which is the main guru yoga in the Karma Kamtsang tradition. You could also do any other guru yoga, as each tradition has its guru yoga, such as the Six Session Guru Yoga of the Geluk tradition. Whichever one of them you may choose, the commitment is to do a guru yoga practice every day for the rest of your life.”

So it seems it is not really even just a Geluk thing, though I actually thought it was. But I do know that when a Gelug Lama gives HYT, then 6 session guru yoga is pretty much a mandatory requirement.
Depends what you mean by "it."

This:
the commitment is to do a guru yoga practice every day for the rest of your life
is entirely uncontroversial. Karmapa is here saying exactly what we have been saying all along, repeating what our Nyingma and Kagyu teachers have told us. To keep the commitments in-built in any HYT wang, one has to keep doing a guruyoga practice. The eyebrows were raised when some people suggested that one absolutely must do a particular guru yoga practice, whatever one's main practice is, whichever tradition one practices in, whatever one's main teacher has to say on the subject, etc.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Terma

Post by Terma »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:41 am
Terma wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:36 am I actually saw this from when HH Gyalwang Karmapa OTD gave the HYT Chakrasamvara initiation.

This:
the commitment is to do a guru yoga practice every day for the rest of your life
is entirely uncontroversial. Karmapa is here saying exactly what we have been saying all along, repeating what our Nyingma and Kagyu teachers have told us. To keep the commitments in-built in any HYT wang, one has to keep doing a guruyoga practice. The eyebrows were raised when some people suggested that one absolutely must do a particular guru yoga practice, whatever one's main practice is, whichever tradition one practices in, whatever one's main teacher has to say on the subject, etc.
Point is though, that when one takes an initiation then they should fulfill the commands of that particular Vajra Guru which they took the empowerment from, no matter which lineage that the initiate supposedly belong to. That is part of the samaya bond between Vajra Guru and disciple isn't it? Not instead that we can pick or choose to fit in with what we like or don't like?

I don't think I've ever heard a Gelug Lama saying to go ahead and do whichever guru yoga you want. So for initiations taken from a Gelug Lama, I think it is pretty lineage specific.
treehuggingoctopus

Terma wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:36 am

This:
Point is though, that when one takes an initiation then they should fulfill the commands of that particular Vajra Guru which they took the empowerment from, no matter which lineage that the initiate supposedly belong to. That is part of the samaya bond between Vajra Guru and disciple isn't it? Not instead that we can pick or choose to fit in with what we like or don't like?

I don't think I've ever heard a Gelug Lama saying to go ahead and do whichever guru yoga you want. So for initiations taken from a Gelug Lama, I think it is pretty lineage specific.
Well, HHDL said nothing about specific practice commitments. But you may well be right: HHDL is not just a Geluk lama, he is vastly more than this.

Regarding choosing and picking: If you take initiations or receive teachings from more than one lama (even within the same lineage), then at some point you will be forced to choose and pick, because there will be, invariably, differences, mostly minor, but at times major. I have experienced it dozens of times, actually. All my teachers are fairly relaxed here, generally speaking, pointing out that whenever one gets conflicting advice, one should follow the advice of the teacher one trusts the most.

Edmond Jabès
Terma

Post by Terma »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:48 am
Terma wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:36 am

This:

Well, HHDL said nothing about specific practice commitments. But you may well be right: HHDL is not just a Geluk lama, he is vastly more than this.

Regarding choosing and picking: If you take initiations or receive teachings from more than one lama (even within the same lineage), then at some point you will be forced to choose and pick, because there will be, invariably, differences, mostly minor, but at times major. I have experienced it dozens of times, actually. All my teachers are fairly relaxed here, generally speaking, pointing out that whenever one gets conflicting advice, one should follow the advice of the teacher one trusts the most.
As someone earlier suggested, Six Session Guru Yoga is kind of a given when one takes HYT in Gelug. Case in point, on the website of OHHDL it states the commitments for the upcoming Heruka initiation, and It mentions nothing regarding six session guru yoga. Because it is a pretty well known fact that one does 6 session guru yoga after receiving any HYT initiation from that lineage.

I could not imagine a senior Lama giving one of the major initiations of this lineage and not expecting six session guru yoga as a requirement.
treehuggingoctopus

Terma wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:11 pmAs someone earlier suggested, Six Session Guru Yoga is kind of a given when one takes HYT in Gelug. Case in point, on the website of OHHDL it states the commitments for the upcoming Heruka initiation, and It mentions nothing regarding six session guru yoga. Because it is a pretty well known fact that one does 6 session guru yoga after receiving any HYT initiation from that lineage.

I could not imagine a senior Lama giving one of the major initiations of this lineage and not expecting six session guru yoga as a requirement.
Well, I am sorry but the fact that HHDL's website info on Heruka wang mentions nothing regarding the 6 session GY does not necessarily imply that it is so because "it is a pretty well known fact that one does 6 session guru yoga after receiving any HYT initiation from that lineage." A plausible reading, for sure. Just as plausible as the interpretation that HHDL does not mention it because he does not actually require it this time.

Personally, since the Heruka event description actually mentions a specific daily practice commitment and two ways of keeping it ("Please note that people attending the initiation are required to do the daily practice of the Luipa Chakrasamvara Sadhana (luipe dechok dakye) or al least the Triple Purification Practice (dakpa sum kyi nyeljor) of Chakrasamvara"), I think that if HHDL had wanted the recipients to do more than what is specified, the website note would have included further relevant information.

Edmond Jabès
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

All this chat of commitments and recitations makes me glad to be a Dzogchen practitioner. It’s exhausting even to think about.
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

There are commitments for guru yoga, but if you want to keep the strict form of all commitments from all teachers, all lineage, it can become overwhelming to a point it does not have any sense, and even thought you may recite all the texts, you may also lose the real purpose of guru yoga.

Whichever form of the guru you visualise, be it Padmasambhava, Tsonkapa, Vajradhara or whoever, all your gurus are one with them.

The purpose of guru yoga is to unite with the mind of the guru. It is much deeper than reciting few lines.

It is also about remembering your guru, the teachings, embody it, learn from it, integrate it in your life.

In the essence of guru yoga, you can do a good job without even saying a word. The love, the devotion, the respect you generate, the desire to emulate, to be inspired is the true guru yoga.

You can recite books of prayers, and still haven’t perform any real guru yoga. Yoga means union. This is about recalling the guru in your heart, and be infused with his presence.

If you understand the essence of guru yoga, you can relax on all the forms of different guru yoga practice.

Concerning the samaya of the five buddhas family, if you hold onto boddicitta, both relative and absolute, the essence of all samayas are respected.
Last edited by Soma999 on Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

:good: This is the point. There are many layers of detail that go into this simple action, but best not to expand upon here.

It is entirely possible HHDL chose to do something different and non-sectarian for the Gyalwa Gyamtso.

Who is requesting and the audience are likely to have been taken into consideration.

However, with the upcoming Chakrasamvara this could be altogether different and I am sure HHDL will explicitly state what the commitments will be during the initiation.

Terma

Post by Terma »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:40 pm
Terma wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:11 pmAs someone earlier suggested, Six Session Guru Yoga is kind of a given when one takes HYT in Gelug. Case in point, on the website of OHHDL it states the commitments for the upcoming Heruka initiation, and It mentions nothing regarding six session guru yoga. Because it is a pretty well known fact that one does 6 session guru yoga after receiving any HYT initiation from that lineage.

Well, I am sorry but the fact that HHDL's website info on Heruka wang mentions nothing regarding the 6 session GY does not necessarily imply that it is so because "it is a pretty well known fact that one does 6 session guru yoga after receiving any HYT initiation from that lineage." A plausible reading, for sure. Just as plausible as the interpretation that HHDL does not mention it because he does not actually require it this time.

Personally, since the Heruka event description actually mentions a specific daily practice commitment and two ways of keeping it ("Please note that people attending the initiation are required to do the daily practice of the Luipa Chakrasamvara Sadhana (luipe dechok dakye) or al least the Triple Purification Practice (dakpa sum kyi nyeljor) of Chakrasamvara"), I think that if HHDL had wanted the recipients to do more than what is specified, the website note would have included further relevant information.
I suppose, if this is the way you wish to interpret this. I think this could be debated until the cows come home, so I see no point in continuing.

Just of note, there have been several posters who are regular practitioners of this lineage, who have given advice and have tried to give a bit of clarity, especially to those who have received the Jinisagara empowerment or are thinking about receiving the Heruka empowerment. I'm sure it is the same case with the others, but for me it comes from the side of compassion in encouraging others who sincerely want to receive these initiations to keep their samaya now and in the future.

But ultimately we will all decide for ourselves I suppose.

Best wishes. 🙏
heart

Post by heart »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:18 pm All this chat of commitments and recitations makes me glad to be a Dzogchen practitioner. It’s exhausting even to think about.
:good: I agree.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

heart wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:36 pm
Malcolm wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:18 pm All this chat of commitments and recitations makes me glad to be a Dzogchen practitioner. It’s exhausting even to think about.

/magnus
Well, at least we Kagyupas only have to do Four sessions, and not six!

:D

I jest, I jest.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Terma

Post by Terma »

conebeckham wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:18 pm
heart wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:36 pm

/magnus
Well, at least we Kagyupas only have to do Four sessions, and not six!

:D

I jest, I jest.
Yeah, you Kagyupa's get off easy! 😁

Return to “Gelug”