Immortal

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
master of puppets

Immortal

Post by master of puppets »

Some 20-25 years ago ı was looking for to become immortal. I guess ı have began this journey by.
Don't know exactly where have ı been effected. as reading what ı have been found.
ı think it is a chinese concept.
can someone enlighten me about the subject?
then however ı have forget and focus on zen.
reiun

Re: Immortal

Post by reiun »

master of puppets

reiun wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:44 pm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatt%C4%81
thanks for given the knowledge about an arhant.

ı was more looking like a taoist meaning of immortal.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Becoming immortal is easy. Just find someone who is immortal and shake hands with them, and you will become immortal too.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
reiun

Post by reiun »

First, I would recommend that you try to be fully alive. Then you won't miss a precious moment of what there IS.
reiun

Post by reiun »

master of puppets wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:04 pm
reiun wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:44 pm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatt%C4%81
This is a Buddhist forum, not taoist.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

reiun wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:03 am
master of puppets wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:04 pm
This is a Buddhist forum, not taoist.
True, but we're in the Lounge ... relax, be nice to people.
Offer them a taoist site if you know of one that isn't too crazy.

:coffee:
Kim
reiun

Post by reiun »

That will be enough from me.
master of puppets

The empty mind; which ı've accepted as the zen practice also symbolizes by enso (mostly known) has an immortal character. (if you closely look) that where the mind cling nothing.

Immortality has roots in taoism as a chinese concept.

Moreover, I've read that buddhism + taoism = zen

therefore ı guess nothing wrong with discussing any taoist concepts.or better open a taoist section pls!!!
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

master of puppets wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:26 pm The empty mind; which ı've accepted as the zen practice also symbolizes by enso (mostly known) has an immortal character. (if you closely look) that where the mind cling nothing.

It’s true that culturally, Buddhism in China, while not using tao as a foundation, utilized many of the similarities it shared with tao and this evolved into zen. But it’s foundation remained strictly Dharma.

With this in mind, one needs to consider how one defines “immortality” and to not confuse the infinite nature of Mind with any notion of an immortal ‘self’.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
master of puppets

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:44 pm
master of puppets wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:26 pm The empty mind; which ı've accepted as the zen practice also symbolizes by enso (mostly known) has an immortal character. (if you closely look) that where the mind cling nothing.

It’s true that culturally, Buddhism in China, while not using tao as a foundation, utilized many of the similarities it shared with tao and this evolved into zen. But it’s foundation remained strictly Dharma.

With this in mind, one needs to consider how one defines “immortality” and to not confuse the infinite nature of Mind with any notion of an immortal ‘self’.
One thing for sure that taoism has always supported zen.

In my (small) view; even tibetan buddhism has roots back in taoism where hh dalai lama finds his spiritual legality.

I've not much informed on the subject but believe this budhism taoism marriage is the key for many answers.
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

Forever is a very long time. Immortality may turn out a great curse (remember the classical tale of the Cumaean Sybill https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumaean_Sibyll). If the rest of the human race dies out in the next few centuries - which they way things are looking is not a wholly improbable prospect - living forever might not be so great.

The sun is going to expand one day and the Earth fried to a crisp. Even you get off planet before that happens, the ever expanding universe will eventually cool completely. Or it might collapse back in on itself as in Buddhist cosmology.

Either way I'd rather not be around for any of that. Quality of life not quantity is key.
This is not the wrong life.
master of puppets

Taoism tells about a balance.

It cover and include all religions.

I myself is not a religion people and never will be.

so does zen.

Buddha has a special place in our hearts.

and always will.

these are what do ı know, for now.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

master of puppets wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:07 pm One thing for sure that taoism has always supported zen.

In my (small) view; even tibetan buddhism has roots back in taoism where hh dalai lama finds his spiritual legality.

I've not much informed on the subject but believe this budhism taoism marriage is the key for many answers.
None of those statements are correct.

But if you’re interested in Taoist methods of longevity, I can help you a little. An important part of it, if you’re a man, is not ejaculating.

Have fun!
master of puppets

PeterC wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:58 pm
master of puppets wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:07 pm One thing for sure that taoism has always supported zen.

None of those statements are correct.

But if you’re interested in Taoist methods of longevity, I can help you a little. An important part of it, if you’re a man, is not ejaculating.

Have fun!
It is about your capacity.
master of puppets

I'm glad I have discover that the door to immortality is open from empty mind.

and I'm glad I 'm still back on my promise which is given 25 years ago when ı first begin & this time by the complete unity of past and new!

I'm glad this shows I'm still on the right path.

👍
Last edited by master of puppets on Sat May 28, 2022 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Impermanence.
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.
reiun

Post by reiun »

master of puppets wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:34 pm I'm glad I have discover that the door to immortality is open from empty mind.
Perhaps you should exit this forum for a Taoist one which espouses your view about immortality. Immortality is not a Buddhist view.
As much as I have read your posts about Zen, as noted by others, your views are mistaken. If you wish to study zen, I refer you to Korinji and Meido Moore roshi. He is offering personal contact through Patreon Zoom starting Friday, June 3rd. In my opinion, you have a lot of misunderstandings about zen, and a teacher is the only one who can set you straight. Alternatively, if you miss the June 3rd date for korinji.org, you can look for a later date.
sfzc.org and zenstudies.org also have personal zoom meetings available with good teachers.
Good luck
master of puppets

reiun wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:44 am
master of puppets wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:34 pm I'm glad I have discover that the door to immortality is open from empty mind.
Perhaps you should exit this forum for a Taoist one which espouses your view about immortality. Immortality is not a Buddhist view.
As much as I have read your posts about Zen, as noted by others, your views are mistaken. If you wish to study zen, I refer you to Korinji and Meido Moore roshi. He is offering personal contact through Patreon Zoom starting Friday, June 3rd. In my opinion, you have a lot of misunderstandings about zen, and a teacher is the only one who can set you straight. Alternatively, if you miss the June 3rd date for korinji.org, you can look for a later date.
sfzc.org and zenstudies.org also have personal zoom meetings available with good teachers.
Good luck
thank you wise words
master of puppets

Only an immortal can give up of his worldly desires.

Return to “Lounge”