Levitation via Buddhist meditation

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
VinceField

Levitation via Buddhist meditation

Post by VinceField »

Apparently this guy is a Buddhist and has developed the ability to levitate over decades of meditation and energy body practices. I've only studied Theravada Buddhism - is there any kind of "energy body" system in any of the other Buddhist sects because I haven't heard of it in Theravada. What do you think about the instructions he gives.. have you ever heard of anything like that?

https://youtu.be/QdBN3iN6pi4
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Re: Levitation via Buddhist meditation

Post by Kim O'Hara »

To make three points very quickly:
1. Yes, there are traditions of supranormal powers including levitation and 'energy body' in Mahayana (in Theravada as well, but less often mentioned).
2. All of the traditions emphasise that they are side-effects of practice, not the aim of it, and are distractions from the real goal.
3. Very, very nearly all Youtube 'demonstrations' are faked. The one you posted looks like a fake to me.

:thinking:
Kim
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

VinceField wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:13 am Apparently this guy is a Buddhist and has developed the ability to levitate over decades of meditation and energy body practices. I've only studied Theravada Buddhism - is there any kind of "energy body" system in any of the other Buddhist sects because I haven't heard of it in Theravada. What do you think about the instructions he gives.. have you ever heard of anything like that?

This guy looks about a genuine as Trump's hairline
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

This is actually pretty good. I wish I could do this. Sadly, I lack the time and patience to learn the video editing. His skills are getting much better over the course of successive videos.
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

Matt J wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:32 am This is actually pretty good. I wish I could do this. Sadly, I lack the time and patience to learn the video editing. His skills are getting much better over the course of successive videos.
:twothumbsup: :bow: :applause:
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
HePo

Post by HePo »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:04 am To make three points very quickly:
1. Yes, there are traditions of supranormal powers including levitation and 'energy body' in Mahayana (in Theravada as well, but less often mentioned).
2. All of the traditions emphasise that they are side-effects of practice, not the aim of it, and are distractions from the real goal.
3. Very, very nearly all Youtube 'demonstrations' are faked. The one you posted looks like a fake to me.

Kim
3. Very, very nearly all Youtube 'demonstrations' are faked.
Could you perhaps give a link to a YouTube video that is not a fake?
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

HePo wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:25 pm

Kim
I haven't seen one and don't expect to. I was just leaving open the possibility that one might exist.

If you have the time and commitment to watch and analyse 10,000 videos, go right ahead but I have better things to do with my time and so have you.

:meditate:
Kim
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

VinceField wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:13 am Apparently this guy is a Buddhist and has developed the ability to levitate over decades of meditation and energy body practices. I've only studied Theravada Buddhism - is there any kind of "energy body" system in any of the other Buddhist sects because I haven't heard of it in Theravada. What do you think about the instructions he gives.. have you ever heard of anything like that?

Even if you could levitate for real, why would you bother? It's about as spiritually useful as being able to do a backflip or a handstand.

Don't waste your time with these fantasies.
This is not the wrong life.
Mirror

Post by Mirror »

Knotty Veneer wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:16 am

Even if you could levitate for real, why would you bother? It's about as spiritually useful as being able to do a backflip or a handstand.

Don't waste your time with these fantasies.
:good:
Memento mori
Remember that you die
reiun

Post by reiun »

VinceField wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:13 am Apparently this guy is a Buddhist and has developed the ability to levitate over decades of meditation and energy body practices.
Horsepuckie
HePo

Post by HePo »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:39 pm
HePo wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:25 pm

Kim
I haven't seen one and don't expect to. I was just leaving open the possibility that one might exist.

If you have the time and commitment to watch and analyse 10,000 videos, go right ahead but I have better things to do with my time and so have you.

:meditate:
Kim
Thanks,
I did not watch the video on the Paranormal Conspiracies Channel in the OP and have zero interest in looking for videos demonstrating paranormal powers, your use of the word "nearly" made me curious.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

HePo wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:36 am ...
Thanks,
I did not watch the video on the Paranormal Conspiracies Channel in the OP and have zero interest in looking for videos demonstrating paranormal powers, your use of the word "nearly" made me curious.
All good.
I'm endlessly curious myself, but not endlessly credulous. I would be fascinated to see a ghost, meet a little green man beside his flying saucer, or see someone levitate. And I do think all of those are possible
- just not very likely.
At all.

:popcorn:
Kim
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Vegas must be a very spiritually advanced place; here I've seen all kinds of levitation acts; people walking on water, levitating high in the sky, above the audience, even levitating while in a corvette. :tongue:

(magicians, in case anyone doesn't know)

If anyone wants to know how it's done, there are now you tube videos which explain how the trick is performed.
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

I don't need to look for further evidence. The floor lines are blurred for no reason while meditates in the air.

But I had a feeling of floating with the bed in my dream while the yoga people with Narendra Modi were practicing during the Yoga Day. I was collecting. I liked the feeling. The ewoks lifted me nicely off the ground,

and then I landed with the bed back down.

It must be a connection between their minds and mine. Maybe what they wanted was to crush me (like my boss wants) and because they're on the other side of the Earth, instead they lifted me up.

It must be Physics. Or it must be a Udhana vayu lifting upwards from and at the level of Vishuddha, therefore implying a certain purity.
I don't remember what they were practicing and why I could have access to their practice in a dream state.
They also say that "Om" is the sound of the Universe and that kundalini is mother/father.

This event never repeated itself. When we sleep, the mind is free to wonder and anyhow freer of the body limitations.

Connect to the thread where you concluded that the reality is mind! If it so, then levitation ought to happen. :smile:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Miorita wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:39 pm I don't need to look for further evidence. The floor lines are blurred for no reason while meditates in the air.
Yes, could be superimposed with video editing. Or it could be a variation of this magic trick with the hydraulics.

Miorita

Post by Miorita »

It might be the hydraulics. His body parts look like lifted up when he raises. The move of collecting him like he is hanging from a hook... it is funny.

But then,
3.38 By self-control of the nerve-currents utilising the lifebreath, one may levitate, walk on water, swamps, thorns, or the like.
3.41 By self-control over the relation of the body to the ether, and maintaining at the same time the thought of the lightness of cotton, one is able to pass through space.
3.43 Mastery over the elements arises when their gross and subtle forms,as well as their essential characteristics, and the inherent attributes and experiences they produce, is examined in self-control.
By keen observation, the sequence is 3 (41-38), 2 (43-41), and 1. 1 is the secret. Advance to 3:44 in Patanjali's sutras!
3.44 Thereby one may become as tiny as an atom as well as having many other abilities, such as perfection of the body, and non-resistence to duty.
He is telling me to correct the verse. But I'm not Patanjali. :lol: I cannot do it. Levitation or not, I cannot give him the accreditation he looks for. Sorry, I cannot give him the completion he looks for.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

DNS wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:25 pm Vegas must be a very spiritually advanced place; here I've seen all kinds of levitation acts; people walking on water, levitating high in the sky, above the audience, even levitating while in a corvette. :tongue:

(magicians, in case anyone doesn't know)

If anyone wants to know how it's done, there are now you tube videos which explain how the trick is performed.
I have watched several videos explaining how illusory 'levitation' can be performed. In one ingenious levitation trick, performed by Criss Angel, he is shown from behind and he looks very convincing when he spread his hands, concentrates his mind and breaths deeply, and arises about 25 cm from the ground. Later he reveals the trick that actually there is a slit in his trousers on the front, which people cannot see. And his shoe is attached to the trousers, so that he can move his naked foot from the shoe and step with it on a black case that is in front of him, which the audience cannot see!

Although several kinds of levitation have been explained and revealed, this leaves lots of levitations that are a different and do not have the characteristics of the tricks that have been revealed and explained. There seems to be also real levitation, it must be acknowledged if you dare to be honest.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
tobes

Post by tobes »

Ajhan Brahm always has good stories on this front:

Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Interesting video. There are many stories of bhikshus or yogis losing their psychic powers temporarily or permanently, that are found even in the sutras. For example Maudgalyayana got killed because he had eaten a heavy lunch and was dozing after it, and therefore couldn't fly off when bandits came brandishing swords. And also the story of How Svagata drinks too much alcohol.
On the other hand, one of the basic factors for developing siddhis (the four riddhipada) is chanda, which is really desire. In order that it may not appear to be contrary to the general teachings, it is usually translated as "interest", "enthusiasm" or something other than "desire".

Bhikshu Svagata Drinks too Much Alcohol

"The Buddha was residing in the country of Kauśāmbī teaching. At that time in the realm of Kauśāmbī there was an Evil Nāga named Āmra who had caused a drought where the rain did not fall and the crops were not harvested. The people were starving and there were various calamities like this. It was then that the bhikṣu Venerable Svāgata went to placate the Evil Nāga. As it is explained in the Svāgata Bhikṣu Sūtra, after placating the Evil Nāga the country celebrated and the people felt Gratitude, aware of the Kindness bestowed upon them and wanting to repay it. It was on Svāgata's behalf that five hundred great families each offered up hanging banners and setup seats, inviting the Monks for offerings. They made a special invitation to Bhikṣu Svāgata. The households which made [the offerings] provided various kinds of delicious foods. It was then that after one household had offered Food that due to his thirst they offered Alcohol which appeared as water whereupon he drank it. He returned to the Monastery where the World Honored One [the Buddha] was teaching the Dharma in a great assembly at the time. The influence of the Alcohol was all too much as he became unwell and fell onto the ground. It was in front of the World Honored One that he stretched out his legs and passed out.
The Buddha was aware of this and thus said, “Which bhikṣu is it here that has stretched out his legs and passed out in front of the Tathāgata?”
The bhikṣus replied, “Bhikṣu Svāgata drank much Alcohol and thus has become inebriated and passed out.”
The Buddha asked the bhikṣus, “Has Bhikṣu Svāgata here ever slept during the day?”
“No, World Honored One.”
He again asked, “Has Bhikṣu Svāgata prior to being inebriated ever stretched out his legs and passed out in front of The Buddha before?”
“No, World Honored One.”
He again asked, “The bhikṣu having drank too much Alcohol, if he wanted to make himself un-inebriated, would it be possible to do this?”
“No, World Honored One.”
He again asked the bhikṣus, “Suppose Bhikṣu Svāgata at a time when he had not drank Alcohol heard an exposition on the excellent and immortal Dharma – would he want to lose this benefit and not listen to it?”
“No, World Honored One.”
The Buddha said to the bhikṣus, “This Bhikṣu Svāgata was originally able to placate an Evil Nāga. Now, could he placate a toad?”
They replied, “He could not.”
The Buddha said, “Suppose Āmra the Nāga heard this – it would provoke his displeasure. From today onward it is not permitted to drink Alcohol.”

Curiously, the accounts of this incident in other Vinaya texts differ in the details of what transpired.

The Dharmagupta Vinaya 四分律 is a much longer account of the event and the substance consumed is a “black liquor” which the Monks were aware was Alcohol. It also states Svāgata not only fell over at the road side, but vomited which caused the birds to be disturbed. The Buddha then tells Ānanda the ten faults of consuming Alcohol.

The Mahīśāsaka Vinaya 五分律 reports the Nāga was causing torrential rains and hail which destroyed the fields, in contrast to the account in the Mahāsāṃghika Vinaya which states it was a drought. Svāgata is also seen in a non-violent battle of magical powers with the Nāga where the latter loses and is scooped up into the former's bowl and taken to The Buddha who gives him permission to release it. The grateful laity come to the assembly of Monks and ask Svāgata if he needs anything. He replies that when he was layperson he enjoyed meat and Alcohol. The laity then provided him with both meat and Alcohol which resulted in him becoming drunk, vomiting all over robe and bowl, and passing out. The Buddha saw this with his clairvoyant eye from afar and went with Ānanda to tend to Svāgata and clean him up with water from the well. They placed him on a rope-bed and in a drunken haze Svāgata kicked The Buddha. It was then that The Buddha summoned the assembly of Monks and spoke to them of the faults of Alcohol. He then prohibited the consumption of it."

https://beer-studies.com/en/world-histo ... -casuistry
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)

Return to “Media”