What is enlightenment?

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Nils

What is enlightenment?

Post by Nils »

I am dealing with the subject of enlightenment. How would you describe it? How can one understand it?
PadmaVonSamba

Re: What is enlightenment?

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

To “Enlighten” means to bring light to where previously there was darkness. It is a metaphor for bringing knowledge and awareness of truth to where there was previously ignorance.

The Buddha taught about freedom from suffering and the causes of suffering, which is ignorance. So, the complete realization and thus attainment of that can he called “enlightenment” .
But the word “enlightenment” doesn’t come from the Buddhist teachings. It’s a western concept.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Nils wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:49 am I am dealing with the subject of enlightenment. How would you describe it? How can one understand it?
The polishing of a dirty mirror until its clear and shiny again.
Life is like a game, either you win or lose!
Life is like a fight, either you live or die!
Life is like a show, either you laugh or cry!
Life is like a dream, either you know or not!!!
madhusudan

Post by madhusudan »

As previously mentioned, enlightenment is a Western term not found in original sources. Perhaps look into the etymology of terms actually used in Buddhism. Here is a link to get you started:
https://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Enlightenment
Nils

Post by Nils »

From my point of view, enlightenment means inner peace, happiness, comprehensive love and unity consciousness. One rises above the dualistic view of the world. One thinks egofree. One is one with everything. :buddha1:
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

Nils wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:53 am From my point of view, enlightenment means inner peace, happiness, comprehensive love and unity consciousness. One rises above the dualistic view of the world. One thinks egofree. One is one with everything. :buddha1:
You mean the old definition, that of a lotus flower raising above the mud.
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

Why do my posts have to be approved by a moderator all of a sudden? WTF? Just delete my account then.
Last edited by Archie2009 on Sat May 21, 2022 10:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

All posts in "Discovering Mahayana Buddhism" are moderated, by forum policy.
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

I'm sorry. I was getting a bit paranoid there. :oops:
Nils

Post by Nils »

Miorita wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:51 pm
Nils wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:53 am From my point of view, enlightenment means inner peace, happiness, comprehensive love and unity consciousness. One rises above the dualistic view of the world. One thinks egofree. One is one with everything. :buddha1:
Yes. I want to be a lotus flower raising above the mud. That must be a happy life. What is the way? :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup:
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

Nils wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:37 pm
Miorita wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:51 pm
Yes. I want to be a lotus flower raising above the mud. That must be a happy life. What is the way? :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup:
You have received answer.
:anjali:
Miorita
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

This topic is locked, because OP's question seems to be exhausted now. If anybody likes to add something substancial to the topic, please contact the mod team for unlocking.

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”