What are you watching? Any good?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Re: What are you watching? Any good?

Post by Kim O'Hara »

reiun wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:30 pm
DNS wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:19 pm Wimbledon Men's singles final, live right now (at the time of this post). Djokovic (Serbia) up 2 sets to 1. As far as I know, this might be the first Men's final where both athletes are vegan -- an all-vegan final.

It's interesting to see the different temperaments. Djokovic is more calm, while Kyrgios (Australia) is hot-headed and gets upset with himself almost on every point that he loses.

update: Djokovic wins 3 sets to 1.
Wish Nadal had been healthy. He really represents the sport well (plus left-handed, lol). Kyrgios is facing domestic assault charge, and Joker was a notorious unvaccinated liar and crackpot on covid and general health. Not a great look for the sport, but otoh, nobody cared. Enjoyed watching Ons Jabeur despite her off final match.
Kyrios is on our TV news all the time, of course. He has always shown more ability and less self-control than anyone else who is anywhere near the top of the game.

:shrug:
Kim
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Norwegian wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:32 amFor something that is actually greatly enjoyable, with regards to prehistoric animals including dinosaurs, I wholeheartedly recommend that you watch the five-episode series "Prehistoric Planet", on Apple TV, although I am sure you can find it elsewhere too. It is narrated by the one and only David Attenborough (his brother Richard Attenborough portrayed "Dr. John Hammond" in the original Jurassic Park), with a soundtrack composed by Hans Zimmer, and carefully made according to lots of input from experts, such as paleontologists. The series is set at the end of the Cretaceous period, during the Maastrichtian age.

It truly feels as if it's a nature documentary like any other that David Attenborough has narrated, and the man is 96 years young. Any pain felt from Jurassic World Dominion surely will be forgotten by the time you watch this.
Thanks for the recommendation, Norwegian, sounds quite interesting, I'll definitely give it a shot.
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Norwegian wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:32 am For something that is actually greatly enjoyable, with regards to prehistoric animals including dinosaurs, I wholeheartedly recommend that you watch the five-episode series "Prehistoric Planet", on Apple TV, although I am sure you can find it elsewhere too. It is narrated by the one and only David Attenborough (his brother Richard Attenborough portrayed "Dr. John Hammond" in the original Jurassic Park), with a soundtrack composed by Hans Zimmer, and carefully made according to lots of input from experts, such as paleontologists. The series is set at the end of the Cretaceous period, during the Maastrichtian age.

It truly feels as if it's a nature documentary like any other that David Attenborough has narrated, and the man is 96 years young. Any pain felt from Jurassic World Dominion surely will be forgotten by the time you watch this.
That was one of my favourite documentaries I've watched in a while, it was nice to see up to date science presented. The extras were a nice touch where they showed recent evidence for the story of the episode.

In the future there will be a documentary on BBC and PBS that my academic supervisor is involved in talking about the development of earth through time. And, a colleague is taking part in a documentary for Apple TV. I'm not sure of the titles or release dates yet but I'm really looking forward to seeing them.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Watched Kyrgios in the quarterfinal of the US Open. It went the full 5 sets and ended around 1 am NY time. But lucky for me, being on pacific time, it was only 10 pm. He wasn't too happy about losing.

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

DNS wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:14 pm Watched Kyrgios in the quarterfinal of the US Open. It went the full 5 sets and ended around 1 am NY time. But lucky for me, being on pacific time, it was only 10 pm. He wasn't too happy about losing.
:smile:
Nothing new about that - https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... 08#p635008

Still, he did well to get as far as he did.

:coffee:
Kim
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Las Vegas Aces win the WNBA championship. First sports title for the city of Las Vegas in a major sport (basketball). Mark Davis is the owner, who also owns the Las Vegas Raiders.

Miorita

Post by Miorita »

DNS wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:48 am Las Vegas Aces win the WNBA championship. First sports title for the city of Las Vegas in a major sport (basketball). Mark Davis is the owner, who also owns the Las Vegas Raiders.

You have no fidelity. Oh, why, oh, why?

I'm watching Trump's rally. I'm more devout than you used to be.
Speaking of Flight 93 got me in trouble.
I should've kept my mouth closed.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Miorita wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:32 am You have no fidelity. Oh, why, oh, why?
True, I don't stick to one team for life. I grew up on military bases. Home is where you hang your hat. When I lived in Denver, I rooted for the Denver Broncos. When I lived in Dallas, I rooted for the Cowboys. Now I live in Vegas, so root for the Vegas teams. :tongue:
Really? I would never have guessed you to be a Trump fan. Or are you just watching, not necessarily liking what you hear?
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

DNS wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:43 am
Miorita wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:32 am You have no fidelity. Oh, why, oh, why?
True, I don't stick to one team for life. I grew up on military bases. Home is where you hang your hat. When I lived in Denver, I rooted for the Denver Broncos. When I lived in Dallas, I rooted for the Cowboys. Now I live in Vegas, so root for the Vegas teams. :tongue:
Really? I would never have guessed you to be a Trump fan. Or are you just watching, not necessarily liking what you hear?
Not necessarily!
I'm a Bulls fan: Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, and Rodham Clinton in her bride gown.
Trump was tiring. He tried to impersonate himself when he was POTUS.

I hope your team had a good game.
Because it's raining here and so enticing to keeping quiet... the lightning, the thunders, and the rain curtains coming down fast.
It's like big drums over the city and the suburbs.

It's so quiet! Good night!
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I just saw a French film about a very rich lady who was trying hard to become a famous singer. She spent her life in rehearsals and dedicated her life to singing.
But nevertheless how much work she put into her passion of singing, she was never able to be in good pitch.
And nobody dared to tell her.

She sang out of tune the whole long movie. At the end, they brutally played her own voice to her - a gramophone was a new technology that year. And she died of a shock.

I know, when you're singing flat, you cannot hear it yourself. The brain and the perception mixes the tones perfectly in tune. The only chance to control it by oneself is to record and listen.

Well - I'm just telling this to get it off my chest. I feel a little traumatized from this voice and story. :shock:
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Ayu wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:55 pm I just saw a French film about a very rich lady who was trying hard to become a famous singer. She spent her life in rehearsals and dedicated her life to singing.
But nevertheless how much work she put into her passion of singing, she was never able to be in good pitch.

She sang out of tune the whole long movie. At the end, they brutally played her own voice to her - a gramophone was a new technology that year. And she died of a shock.

I know, when you're singing flat, you cannot hear it yourself. The brain and the perception mixes the tones perfectly in tune. The only chance to control it by oneself is to record and listen.

Well - I'm just telling this to get it off my chest. I feel a little traumatized from this voice and story. :shock:
Florence Foster Jenkins.
It’s a true story.
She lived in New York City.
I had a music teacher in school who used to play an LP of her recorded singing.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:48 pm
Ayu wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:55 pm I just saw a French film about a very rich lady who was trying hard to become a famous singer. She spent her life in rehearsals and dedicated her life to singing.

Florence Foster Jenkins.
It’s a true story.
She lived in New York City.
I had a music teacher in school who used to play an LP of her recorded singing.
I bet she's on YouTube. Now I've got to hear. But not right before I go to sleep. :lol:
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

I’m binge watching a BBC series, Victorian Forensic Midwife Veterinarian . It combines all the heartwarming murder and romantic suspense that BBC drama is known for.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

"Women in prison" and "Deadly women" and it is because my client watches them.

Florence is a darling compared to those looking sideways or from above at you. Maybe a butterfly?

Ok! Enough! She is nuts.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:28 amVictorian Forensic Midwife Veterinarian
If they could somehow adapt that into a dating reality show, it would be the perfect british television product
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

PeterC wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:39 am
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:28 amVictorian Forensic Midwife Veterinarian
If they could somehow adapt that into a dating reality show, it would be the perfect british television product
It also needs a craft-contest component:)
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

Prayer at Night, nominated for its aspiration modelling.

I suggest shutting down the tv set and continuing or maybe living free of Tv tomorrow. What do you say?
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:21 am
PeterC wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:39 am
It also needs a craft-contest component:)
"Big Brother's Great British Victorian Forensic Midwife Veterinarian Bakeoff"?

Return to “Lounge”