What are you watching? Any good?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Arnoud

Re: What are you watching? Any good?

Post by Arnoud »

Queequeg wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:13 pm
Arnoud wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:45 am Slow horses on Apple
Gary Oldman looks entertaining in the trailer. How's the rest of it?
I really enjoyed it. One of the things I appreciate about British shows is that it’s more realistic and that not every actor looks like a supermodel. And the humor is a little sharper. I don’t remember much of Gary Oldman’s other work but he is excellent in this.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Raised By Wolves was pretty good the first season, I felt like it went downhill the second, but still watchable. Also have enjoyed The Expanse, as Sci-fi goes. Other than that I just watch garbage lately, lol.

I like absurdist comedy, I Think You Should Leave is hit or miss, but has a few brilliant bits look for the fedora courtroom sketch.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Just watched The Dragon Prince and Stranger Things. Both excellent. The former has an interesting style of writing that embraces cliches instead of avoiding them artificially. It's rather odd and I really like it.

Always watching Bob's Burgers.

Listening (podcast) to the Adventure Zone (I'm in the final arch of Amnesty) and My Brother, My Brother, and Me.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

Forgot to mention that we just got done with Our Flag Means Death, which was uneven but a lot of fun and genuinely affecting in places. Before that Reservation Dogs, which was awesome.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Arnoud wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:55 pm Watching Tehran on Apple. Good so far.
Season 1 was pretty good. Season 2 falls off a cliff as soon as Glenn Close shows up.
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

PeterC wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:14 am
Season 1 was pretty good. Season 2 falls off a cliff as soon as Glenn Close shows up.
I am struggling to finish season 1 so I don’t think season 2 will make it to my screen. Thanks for the heads-up.

Servant and Mosquito Coast on Apple I liked as well. Different genres but enjoyable. Ted Lasso goes without saying.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Arnoud wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:42 am
PeterC wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:14 am
I am struggling to finish season 1 so I don’t think season 2 will make it to my screen. Thanks for the heads-up.

Servant and Mosquito Coast on Apple I liked as well. Different genres but enjoyable. Ted Lasso goes without saying.
If you have apple TV, watch Severance, it's brilliant. Whoever thought up the idea of a workplace romance between John Turturro and Christopher Walken deserves an award for that idea alone.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I was watching the two existing seasons of the short Norwegian series called Beforeigners. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beforeigners

Long time didn't see such a wonderful artwork of cinema. Nice & fine dry sense of humor. The so-called wild guys from ancient times, are most intelligent. I love it.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Ayu wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:48 pm I was watching the two existing seasons of the short Norwegian series called Beforeigners. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beforeigners

Long time didn't see such a wonderful artwork of cinema. Nice & fine dry sense of humor. The so-called wild guys from ancient times, are most intelligent. I love it.

You speak Norwegian too?
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

the new season of The Boys comes out next month, I am looking forward to that. One of the best tales of our current political out there, IMO, and plus a ton of guilty-pleasure type fun, if that's your thing.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Hazel wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:32 pm
Ayu wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:48 pm I was watching the two existing seasons of the short Norwegian series called Beforeigners. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beforeigners

You speak Norwegian too?
No, in German TV and cinema, translation in form of synchron speech is common.
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

Ayu wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:53 am

You speak Norwegian too?
Do you feel this has disadvantaged you in becoming fluent in English? (In the Netherlands we subtitle everything.) My niece who was born and lived her whole life in Germany does not speak any English.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Archie2009 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:34 am
You speak Norwegian too?
Do you feel this has disadvantaged you in becoming fluent in English? (In the Netherlands we subtitle everything.) My niece who was born and lived her whole life in Germany does not speak any English.
I think many German people have been disadvantaged by this. They do not know what they are missing, if they deny to understand English. Especially so in dharma context.
For me it was differently, because I always loved to watch films in the original edition. As kid I was watching sesame street in English, because it was more funny.

Nowadays most kids do not watch TV anymore. Their channels are internationally on the internet.
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

Ayu wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:59 am
Archie2009 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:34 am
I think many German people have been disadvantaged by this. They do not know what they are missing, if they deny to understand English. Especially so in dharma context.
For me it was differently, because I always loved to watch films in the original edition. As kid I was watching sesame street in English, because it was more funny.

Nowadays most kids do not watch TV anymore. Their channels are internationally on the internet.
In the Netherlands we could watch German TV (ARD, ZDF, WDR, etc.) on the cable back in the 1980s and I always thought the dubbed versions of Star Trek, etc. were unwatchable, even though I did not understand a word of English at the time.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Archie2009 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:02 pm In the Netherlands we could watch German TV (ARD, ZDF, WDR, etc.) on the cable back in the 1980s and I always thought the dubbed versions of Star Trek, etc. were unwatchable, even though I did not understand a word of English at the time.
I can imagine. :lol:
But it's mainly a matter of being used to or not being used to synchronisation. Germans don't care, if the movement of the mouth does not fit to the words. Better that than having to read subtitles all the time.
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

Ayu wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:09 pm
Archie2009 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:02 pm In the Netherlands we could watch German TV (ARD, ZDF, WDR, etc.) on the cable back in the 1980s and I always thought the dubbed versions of Star Trek, etc. were unwatchable, even though I did not understand a word of English at the time.
But it's mainly a matter of being used to or not being used to synchronisation. Germans don't care, if the movement of the mouth does not fit to the words. Better that than having to read subtitles all the time.
Italians didn't even care if dialogue was out of sync in their domestic cinema back when Italian movies were shot silently and later overdubbed by the original actors. :lol:
reiun

Post by reiun »

Yellowstone, 40 episodes streaming on Peacock. IIMDb 8.7. An indomitable Kelly Reilly and mature Kevin Costner.

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I discovered nice videos by searching for "Buddhist Fairytales" on youtube. It's somehow relaxing to listen to such simple genuine stories before sleep.
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

NBA playoffs.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Archie2009 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:21 pm
Ayu wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:09 pm
Italians didn't even care if dialogue was out of sync in their domestic cinema back when Italian movies were shot silently and later overdubbed by the original actors. :lol:
I still watch the classics by Rossellini, De Sica, Antonioni and Fellini, and don't care a whit about their de-synced dubbing. :emb:
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.

Return to “Lounge”