What are you watching? Any good?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Archie2009

Re: What are you watching? Any good?

Post by Archie2009 »

Svalaksana wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:54 pm
Archie2009 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:21 pm
Ayu wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:09 pm

I can imagine. :lol:
But it's mainly a matter of being used to or not being used to synchronisation. Germans don't care, if the movement of the mouth does not fit to the words. Better that than having to read subtitles all the time.
Italians didn't even care if dialogue was out of sync in their domestic cinema back when Italian movies were shot silently and later overdubbed by the original actors. :lol:
I still watch the classics by Rossellini, De Sica, Antonioni and Fellini, and don't care a whit about their de-synced dubbing. :emb:
I don't care either because it's the original soundtrack. German dubbing is on an entirely different level of awful. It has to be experienced to be believed.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Archie2009 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:11 am
Archie2009 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:21 pm Italians didn't even care if dialogue was out of sync in their domestic cinema back when Italian movies were shot silently and later overdubbed by the original actors. :lol:
I still watch the classics by Rossellini, De Sica, Antonioni and Fellini, and don't care a whit about their de-synced dubbing. :emb:
I don't care either because it's the original soundtrack. German dubbing is on an entirely different level of awful. It has to be experienced to be believed.
I've heard about that too. I was talking to a German guy some time ago about Stalker and how he first saw it dubbed in Germany and some other sci-fi films and he made a similar appreciation of it. I'm lucky Portuguese media always went for subtitles on all foreign media.
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.
Dream_on

Post by Dream_on »

News and hocky.

Fellini is great.
Toenail

Post by Toenail »

Queequeg wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:17 pm How about an ongoing thread to talk about what shows we're watching...
amber heard johnny depp trial. great show :twothumbsup:
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Toenail wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:03 pm
Queequeg wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:17 pm How about an ongoing thread to talk about what shows we're watching...
What a shit show. LOL

My wife didn't know who Amber Heard is. This is why my wife is awesome. She totally tunes out the bull shit. Me on the other hand, my head is stuffed with bull shit.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Svalaksana wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:17 pm
Archie2009 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:11 am
I've heard about that too. I was talking to a German guy some time ago about Stalker and how he first saw it dubbed in Germany and some other sci-fi films and he made a similar appreciation of it. I'm lucky Portuguese media always went for subtitles on all foreign media.
How much dialogue is there in Stalker even? It’s one of the most powerful films I’ve seen, but it’s been years and I mainly just recall the amazing visuals minimal dialogue.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Queequeg wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:18 pm
What a shit show. LOL

My wife didn't know who Amber Heard is. This is why my wife is awesome. She totally tunes out the bull shit. Me on the other hand, my head is stuffed with bull shit.
I will tell you, QQ, you've found a pretty rare and valuable companion there. To be able to be oblivious to such horse manure is one heck of a quality nowadays, so preserve, cherish, respect and value what you have, my man.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:28 pm
Svalaksana wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:17 pm
Archie2009 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:11 am I don't care either because it's the original soundtrack. German dubbing is on an entirely different level of awful. It has to be experienced to be believed.
How much dialogue is there in Stalker even? It’s one of the most powerful films I’ve seen, but it’s been years and I mainly just recall the amazing visuals minimal dialogue.
The dialogues in Stalker are pretty sparse in all honesty, since it is a film that relies heavily on visuals and sound in particular.

But in terms of content, the dialogues perhaps make it one the most profoundly unassuming, discrete, and yet most thematically rich films ever made. There are musings on free will, geopolitics, daoism, nature, death, art, love, death, that keep an attentive viewer quite engaged and allow for an intellectual dialogue with the director that is seldom seen in conventional filmmaking.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

It took me a while to decide which side I sympathized with most in the courtroom. Eventually I concluded: the judge is about the only person I feel any sympathy for.
Dream_on

Post by Dream_on »

Going to watch some EM 2024 scoccer "playoffs".

They are holding it in Germeny for the first time syns the unification of vest and east germeny.

After the Nazi war, they made a split of Germeny in two parts. east and west.

And,
now the football today.

- Today, Sweden - Slovakia.

- The day after tomorow.

, Norway - Sweden.

Enjoy! :)
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Apparently we only have 1028 days left.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sport ... 022-06-03/
https://www.convertunits.com/dates/daysfromnow/1028

March 27, 2025

Not sure what she thinks will happen, maybe end of the world?
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

DNS wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:10 pm Apparently we only have 1028 days left.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sport ... 022-06-03/
https://www.convertunits.com/dates/daysfromnow/1028

March 27, 2025

Not sure what she thinks will happen, maybe end of the world?
Probably 1028 days until we have blown the carbon budget that will allow us to have a liveable world in the medium term.
This little chart is five years old and shows possible pathways for staying within the budget. As you will know, we didn't peak in 2016 or 2020.

carbon crunch Figueres et al 2017-b.jpg
carbon crunch Figueres et al 2017-b.jpg (65.86 KiB) Viewed 1274 times

The task is now nearly impossible. :toilet:

But we still have to try.

:jedi:
Kim

(Yes, of course I know I'm off topic here - I'm a Mod. OTOH I'm replying to an Admin, who was also off topic, so it must be okay. :tongue: And I won't continue with the side discussion here - we have another thread for that, if anyone is keen.)

:focus:
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Archie2009 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:33 am Image
Let me guess ... you're not watching anything because you have no signal?

:popcorn:
Kim
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:30 am
Archie2009 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:33 am Image
Let me guess ... you're not watching anything because you have no signal?

:popcorn:
Kim
Better Call Saul is the only thing worth watching at this point in my opinion.
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:00 am (Yes, of course I know I'm off topic here - I'm a Mod. OTOH I'm replying to an Admin, who was also off topic, so it must be okay. :tongue: And I won't continue with the side discussion here - we have another thread for that, if anyone is keen.)
I don't think we were off-topic. The topic is what are you watching and I was watching the French Open when I saw the protestor come on the court and fasten herself to the net.

(I probably should have mentioned I was watching the French Open.)
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Under the banner of heaven on Hulu about some Mormon murders. Includes some educational Mormon history.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The Boys season three. Gross, but hilarious.
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:36 am The Boys season three. Gross, but hilarious.
Good to know it’s out. First season was great. Second one less so. Hopefully the third one won’t disappoint too much.

Return to “Lounge”