What are you watching? Any good?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Miorita

Re: What are you watching? Any good?

Post by Miorita »

Secret Agent Selection WW2
It's a documentary on SOE agents.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Just started the new season of Westworld. Have no idea where it's going but intrigued. Last season was underwhelming.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Queequeg wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:23 pm Just started the new season of Westworld. Have no idea where it's going but intrigued. Last season was underwhelming.
It’s one of these things that would have lasted much better if they’d killed it after one season.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

PeterC wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:00 pm
Queequeg wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:23 pm Just started the new season of Westworld. Have no idea where it's going but intrigued. Last season was underwhelming.
It’s one of these things that would have lasted much better if they’d killed it after one season.
Agreed, you can only get so far with “whoah they might be a robot”.

I started watching The Deep End on Hulu, it’s a documentary on influencer and Spiritual Kook Teal Swan. I heard about it via the Conspirituality podcast. It’s what you’d expect so far, though seeing the inside of a spiritual influencers business is something I’ve not seen much of before, and is pretty disturbing.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

It has become a completely different story.

I wonder what its like in the writer's room when the original story line has run its course and then some and news comes does that the series has been reupped. Not going to turn down the paycheck, right?
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Queequeg wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:09 pm

I wonder what its like in the writer's room when the original story line has run its course and then some and news comes does that the series has been reupped. Not going to turn down the paycheck, right?
I think some these streaming series have some writer turnover right in the middle, which is what accounts for for abrupt changes in direction of shows sometimes.

-Khunu Lama
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

19400619_10155433604658535_604388168849829714_o.jpg
19400619_10155433604658535_604388168849829714_o.jpg (126.04 KiB) Viewed 1254 times
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:29 pm
Queequeg wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:09 pm

I think some these streaming series have some writer turnover right in the middle, which is what accounts for for abrupt changes in direction of shows sometimes.
The gold standard on this was The Wire. When they reached the end of filming the last season, they discussed what other angles they could explore, and the big one they came up with was Latino immigration into Baltimore. But looking around the writing and production team, they realized they didn’t have any personal experience in that community, and would have needed to swap out much of the writing team to make it work. So they didn’t do it and just finished the series instead.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

PeterC wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:30 am The gold standard on this was The Wire. When they reached the end of filming the last season, they discussed what other angles they could explore, and the big one they came up with was Latino immigration into Baltimore. But looking around the writing and production team, they realized they didn’t have any personal experience in that community, and would have needed to swap out much of the writing team to make it work. So they didn’t do it and just finished the series instead.
Interesting. We're talking about Central and South American immigration, right? Not really Northern Mexicans and Islanders. This story really is not being told right now. Its also very diverse.

Their kids are growing up fluent in English, Spanish and other indigenous languages. They'll be telling those stories soon.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:22 pm
PeterC wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:30 am The gold standard on this was The Wire. When they reached the end of filming the last season, they discussed what other angles they could explore, and the big one they came up with was Latino immigration into Baltimore. But looking around the writing and production team, they realized they didn’t have any personal experience in that community, and would have needed to swap out much of the writing team to make it work. So they didn’t do it and just finished the series instead.
Interesting. We're talking about Central and South American immigration, right? Not really Northern Mexicans and Islanders. This story really is not being told right now. Its also very diverse.

Their kids are growing up fluent in English, Spanish and other indigenous languages. They'll be telling those stories soon.
Never having been to Baltimore I couldn’t say. But yes, the gringos are gradually realizing that there’s more than one group that speaks Spanish
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

PeterC wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:52 pm
Queequeg wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:22 pm

Never having been to Baltimore I couldn’t say. But yes, the gringos are gradually realizing that there’s more than one group that speaks Spanish
Baltimore is an interesting place, in fact John Waters is from there. It’s very salt of the earth. And it’s not just gringos who are ignorant, a lot of people from Hispanic backgrounds here are as well. I work with a woman from Argentina who interprets in Spanish for the largely immigrant population in my area and she constantly gets asked about her background by them. Many people don’t realize there are fair skinned, blue-eyed people who actually speak Spanish and it’s their first language.
Last edited by KristenM on Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

I feel that this thread is very t.v. show oriented rather
than movies. But, can I just say that I watched the Nicolas Cage movie, “The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent” and loved it. If you don’t hate Nic Cage, definitely watch it because it’s highly entertaining.
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

Macy's fireworks on tv.
My moment, my oath, my commitment!

Happy Birthday, America!
:heart:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Wimbledon Men's singles final, live right now (at the time of this post). Djokovic (Serbia) up 2 sets to 1. As far as I know, this might be the first Men's final where both athletes are vegan -- an all-vegan final.

It's interesting to see the different temperaments. Djokovic is more calm, while Kyrgios (Australia) is hot-headed and gets upset with himself almost on every point that he loses.

update: Djokovic wins 3 sets to 1.
Last edited by DNS on Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated score
reiun

Post by reiun »

DNS wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:19 pm Wimbledon Men's singles final, live right now (at the time of this post). Djokovic (Serbia) up 2 sets to 1. As far as I know, this might be the first Men's final where both athletes are vegan -- an all-vegan final.

It's interesting to see the different temperaments. Djokovic is more calm, while Kyrgios (Australia) is hot-headed and gets upset with himself almost on every point that he loses.

update: Djokovic wins 3 sets to 1.
Wish Nadal had been healthy. He really represents the sport well (plus left-handed, lol). Kyrgios is facing domestic assault charge, and Joker was a notorious unvaccinated liar and crackpot on covid and general health. Not a great look for the sport, but otoh, nobody cared. Enjoyed watching Ons Jabeur despite her off final match.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

reiun wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:30 pm Wish Nadal had been healthy. He really represents the sport well (plus left-handed, lol). Kyrgios is facing domestic assault charge, and Joker was a notorious unvaccinated liar and crackpot on covid and general health. Not a great look for the sport, but otoh, nobody cared. Enjoyed watching Ons Jabeur despite her off final match.
Considering Kyrgios' hot-temper, was wondering about that. That's sad.

Yes, Jabeur was great, I was rooting for her. She'll probably be a big boost for tennis in Arab and North African countries.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Started watching The Orville, very light entertainment, but fun at times.

-Khunu Lama
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Saw Jurassic World Dominion today and... it's pretty bad. I know it's supposed to be mindless fun and to suspend your disbelief, but it was rather lukewarm and somewhat embarassing, predictable, cheesy, terrible dialogues, etc. And long, way too long.

Tomorrow I will rinse my eyes with a film by Binka Zhelyazkova and Oleksander Dovzhenko if I have the time for both.
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Svalaksana wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:19 am Saw Jurassic World Dominion today and... it's pretty bad. I know it's supposed to be mindless fun and to suspend your disbelief, but it was rather lukewarm and somewhat embarassing, predictable, cheesy, terrible dialogues, etc. And long, way too long.

Tomorrow I will rinse my eyes with a film by Binka Zhelyazkova and Oleksander Dovzhenko if I have the time for both.
For something that is actually greatly enjoyable, with regards to prehistoric animals including dinosaurs, I wholeheartedly recommend that you watch the five-episode series "Prehistoric Planet", on Apple TV, although I am sure you can find it elsewhere too. It is narrated by the one and only David Attenborough (his brother Richard Attenborough portrayed "Dr. John Hammond" in the original Jurassic Park), with a soundtrack composed by Hans Zimmer, and carefully made according to lots of input from experts, such as paleontologists. The series is set at the end of the Cretaceous period, during the Maastrichtian age.

It truly feels as if it's a nature documentary like any other that David Attenborough has narrated, and the man is 96 years young. Any pain felt from Jurassic World Dominion surely will be forgotten by the time you watch this.

Return to “Lounge”