ChNNR: Advice at the end of a retreat (impermanence)

Hansei

ChNNR: Advice at the end of a retreat (impermanence)

Post by Hansei »

Hi everyone. I have the following quote saved in my notes, and I would like to know from which retreat it is. I believe it's from a retreat that happened from 2015 on, and probably at Dzamling Gar.
So we have this kind of idea… Some people, young people in particular, when they’re falling in love, they say “Oh how nice! Everything is fine! My vision is paradise!”. You have that paradise-vision that moment. But then you go ahead one month… one year… after two years, there is no your love, your love is disappeared already. Some people decided to be together for lifetime, which is called husband and wife, which is called their marriage. But then after a while they say “Oh we couldn’t be together!”. Why? Because impermanent. There is nothing stable.

Even we’re thinking “This is something real! Forever!!” like this, but not true. When there’s something happening they’re very upset. They’re suffering for months and months. Why you’re suffering? Because you’re not knowing it’s impermanent. You’re not remembering it’s in time. In time everything can change. So if you don’t want to change, you pay respect to others, and you collaborate, and then maybe there’s some possibility to continue.

But your emotions are not stable. Any kind of emotion you have, in that moment you try to be present. Even if it seems fantastic, you think “It’s fantastic, but impermanent!”, that way you enjoy. That way you can enjoy really. If you’re creating a kind of illusion, you cannot enjoy, but you’re constructing suffering. So it’s very important then knowing that everything is unreal. And if you know everything is unreal you don’t give too much importance. If you don’t give too much importance, always you can enjoy. That’s why I’m saying “I enjoy!”. You enjoy also, we enjoy. If you don’t enjoy, it’s worse for you. Because you don’t know how to enjoy.

Our lives are not always black, always negative. In our lives there’s also good things. Good things we enjoy. If there’s bad things we try to transform, to change, and to modify. So this is how we do our life.

So it is very important you try to do your best in daily life. These are more important practices than you’re chanting some mantras, or prayers always. These are relative, but more important is to be present and to relax.

So now you remember, no?

Number one is Guru Yoga. Then try to be aware, and relax, not giving importance to everything, then you can enjoy your life.

OK, this is my teaching… Heheh… (applause from students)
heart

Re: ChNNR: Advice at the end of a retreat (impermanence)

Post by heart »

Hansei wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:37 am Hi everyone. I have the following quote saved in my notes, and I would like to know from which retreat it is. I believe it's from a retreat that happened from 2015 on, and probably at Dzamling Gar.
He said this on many retreats as it is a good example of how impermanence works.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Hansei wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:37 am Hi everyone. I have the following quote saved in my notes, and I would like to know from which retreat it is. I believe it's from a retreat that happened from 2015 on, and probably at Dzamling Gar.
No it's at least from 2005. I don't remember specific retreat.
Josef

Post by Josef »

As Magnus points out, Rinpoche said this many times.
I always liked it when he included story about the young couple who were so in love that they had to sit in the same chair at his house and broke the chair, a couple years later they couldnt tolerate one another.
Certainly very good teachings for us to keep in mind.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Hansei

Post by Hansei »

Josef wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:33 pmAs Magnus points out, Rinpoche said this many times.
I always liked it when he included story about the young couple who were so in love that they had to sit in the same chair at his house and broke the chair, a couple years later they couldnt tolerate one another.
Certainly very good teachings for us to keep in mind.
I always laughed with that story :smile:
heart wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:30 pm He said this on many retreats as it is a good example of how impermanence works.
Norwegian wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:22 pm No it's at least from 2005. I don't remember specific retreat.
I'm trying to find the particular retreat because I would like to extract that part as an audio file. I know it might not be easy to identify it and then find a recording… but nothing is lost for trying.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

This thread makes me miss Rinpoche, well, even more. :bow: :bow: :bow:
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama

Return to “Dzogchen”