Four Great Vows in Chinese (四 弘 誓 願)

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
curtstein

Four Great Vows in Chinese (四 弘 誓 願)

Post by curtstein »

It seems like there are as many English "translations" of the Four Great Vows as there are grains of sand in the Ganges.

But as far as I can tell there is only one Chinese version of the Four Great Vows (see below), and that all of these English "translations" come from this one source. Does anyone know of any other versions in Chinese, or of any other source (Sanskrit?) for the Four Great Vows?

四 弘 誓 願
眾 生 無 邊 誓 願 度
煩 惱 無 盡 誓 願 斷
法 門 無 量 誓 願 學
佛 道 無 上 誓 願 成

I've been studying a little Chinese on my own - and here is my attempt at going through the Chinese version character by character:
https://www.mindisbuddha.org/the-four-great-vows-四弘誓願/
Taikor.Taikun

Re: Four Great Vows in Chinese (四 弘 誓 願)

Post by Taikor.Taikun »

That is the only version i know of in Chinese.

There is one translation to which i find quite close to its meaning in Chinese, the translation by The City of Ten Thousand Buddhas: http://www.cttbchinese.org/menu9_english_dharma161.htm

It retains most of the characters in its translation.

Here is my own translation to get close to its meaning:
Living beings throughout the boundless shores/worlds, I vow to transport/ferry across/save/deliver/ them.

Endless troubles/afflictions, I vow to cut them.

Countless Dharma doors/ways/methods, I vow to learn n practise them.

The Supreme Buddhahood, I vow to attain it.
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

curtstein wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:04 pm It seems like there are as many English "translations" of the Four Great Vows as there are grains of sand in the Ganges.

But as far as I can tell there is only one Chinese version of the Four Great Vows (see below), and that all of these English "translations" come from this one source. Does anyone know of any other versions in Chinese, or of any other source (Sanskrit?) for the Four Great Vows?

四 弘 誓 願
眾 生 無 邊 誓 願 度
煩 惱 無 盡 誓 願 斷
法 門 無 量 誓 願 學
佛 道 無 上 誓 願 成

I've been studying a little Chinese on my own - and here is my attempt at going through the Chinese version character by character:
https://www.mindisbuddha.org/the-four-great-vows-四弘誓願/
There is a self-nature version as well, which in some practices immediately follows the standard form you have given.

自 性 眾 生 誓 願 度
自 性 煩 惱 誓 願 斷
自 性 法 門 誓 願 學
自 性 佛 道 誓 願 成
curtstein

Post by curtstein »

Yes - and that is exactly the same, only adding "self-nature" (自 性) at the beginning of each line.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

What is the explanation for adding 自 性 to the vows? Which traditions is this practiced in?
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
curtstein

Post by curtstein »

Queequeg wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:29 pm What is the explanation for adding 自 性 to the vows? Which traditions is this practiced in?
I think the version with 自 性 is attributed to Hui Neng ("The Sixth Ancestor" of Zen), specifically the "Platform Sutra" (although the attribution of the Platform Sutra to Hui Neng has been questioned).

As to the explanation for adding those two characters - personally I think someone along the line thought it made the four vows sound "more Zen".
natusake

Post by natusake »

Is there a Sanskrit version, or is it originally in Chinese?

How are the Chinese characters pronounced?
FromTheEarth

Post by FromTheEarth »

This exact formulation, as a quick search indicates, was from Zhiyi's Great Samatha-vipaśyanā (mohe zhiguan; maka shikan). But the concept seems to be coming from 菩薩瓔珞本業經/Bodhisattva keyūra mūlakarma sūtra, in which it's stated:
...[that is, to uphold] the Four Great Vows. Those who have not overcome the Suffering, I vow to help them overcome the Suffering. Those who have not been liberated from the Cause of Suffering, I vow to liberate them. Those who have not abided in the Way, I vow to help them abide in the Way. Those who have not attained Nirvana, I vow to help them attain Nirvana. 所謂四弘誓。未度苦諦令度苦諦。未解集諦令解集諦。未安道諦令安道諦。未得涅槃令得涅槃。
The current, popular formulation is just an equivalent articulation of these very same vows (basically, bodhicitta through the lens of the Four Noble Truths). And the very expression "四弘誓"/the Four Great Vows were already there in that sutra.

(the pinyin romanization can be found through the link from the original post. But also page 132 (147) of http://www.drbachinese.org/online_readi ... ndbook.pdf)
genkaku.linrx

Post by genkaku.linrx »

I am struggling with Traditional Chinese, I think it is easier for me to read the same characters in Simplified Chinese:
四 弘 誓 愿
众 生 无 边 誓 愿 度
烦 恼 无 尽 誓 愿 断
法 门 无 量 誓 愿 学
佛 道 无 上 誓 愿 成

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”