Guanyin / Great Compassion Response stories

Post sayings or stories from Buddhist traditions which you find interesting, inspiring or useful. (Your own stories are welcome on DW, but in the Creative Writing or Personal Experience forums rather than here.)
ZhengShen

Guanyin / Great Compassion Response stories

Post by ZhengShen »

Greetings:

I'm curious if any of the members here have read - or experienced - responses from Guanyin, specifically from reciting the Great Compassion Mantra. I know there are volumes in Chinese - but I don't, alas, read Chinese - and a google search seems to pull up the same limited number. So if anyone has had a personal response - or read of one - from recitation of the Great Compassion Mantra, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks!

Zheng Shen
Aemilius

Re: Guanyin / Great Compassion Response stories

Post by Aemilius »

"A fascinating snippet about Dae Soen Sa Nim’s (Zen Master Seung Sahn) personal practice in the midst of his busy, daily life, as told by the Kwan Um School of Zen teacher Zen Master Hae Kwang (Stanley Lombardo):

" Once, before a retreat in Boulder, I asked him what he did when he sat. He told me he recited the Great Dharani over and over, very fast, one repetition per breath. “Then your mind is like a washing machine on spin cycle, moving very fast. All the dirty water goes out, but the center is not moving.” The Great Dharani (or Dharani of Great Compassion) is a very long mantra—about 450 syllables. I asked him if he actually pronounced, sub-vocally, every syllable. He said he perceived each syllable, moment to moment. He was fond of the notion that in Buddhist psychology moments of perception go by at about the same fraction-per-second rate that frames of film must be projected in order to create the illusion of motion."

Quoted in https://www.lionsroar.com/spring-comes- ... 1927-2004/
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Inspiration of Great Compassion
by Yutang Lin

"How to celebrate dear mom's sixtieth birthday?
The filial daughter copied the mantra as prayer.
Great Compassion Mantra repeated sixty times;
Guan Yin and Wei Tuo appeared to encourage.

"A Buddhist friend, Upasika Xu, in order to celebrate her mother's coming sixtieth birthday, pledged to Buddha that she would write the "Great Compassion Mantra" sixty times so as to pray for her mother's karmic hindrances to be extinguished and life lengthened. Her ardent sincerity did win over auspicious responses. During the night that came right after she finished copying the mantra for sixty times, she saw in a dream a very bright Guan Yin wearing a garment of many colors stood in the air, then she saw Bodhisattva Wei Tuo, exactly the same as the one posted at Yogi Chen's homepage, appeared in the air. Such auspicious appearances are very rare; therefore, I especially record it here. May this record indicate the direction to apply one's efforts to filial sons and daughters as to how to celebrate their parents' birthdays."

Written in March 9, 2003
El Cerrito, California
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Yes.
I mentioned it to the lama from whom I later took refuge. He agreed.

The thing to keep in mind, these accounts are really as “special” as one might suppose. Avalokiteshvara (Kuan Yin, Chenrezig) responds to the needs of those who are sincere in their practice of compassion.

The answer you receive may be more profound than what you ask for. If you ask for a sandwich, you may find soon yourself a volunteer, cooking and serving food to the needy.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.

Return to “Dharma Stories”