Finding a monastary in India (or Nepal)!

gelukman

Re: Finding a monastary in India (or Nepal)!

Post by gelukman »

Generally said it is of little benefit to become monk if you are westerner. You will just experience obstacle after obstacle.
Especially if you have no learning in the dharma. If you have already learning in the dharma, there is no need to become a monk.
The teacher or master if you know him well he could arrange your stay, otherwise almost impossible to go any where and become monk.
Best is just to practice and study home, then you could attend some empowerments in asia, and same time do pilgrimage. As american passport
holder you can stay in China. In Kham or areas around outside Tibet you can stay without special permits. Probably much safer and cleaner than India or Nepal. And guaranteed more interesting, more easily to approach genuine masters. I would skip India/Nepal completely.

Generally it is your vision of life, what you want to become and achieve in this life, your route is your route.
Some people have chosen extensive studies and extensive meditation I know some. None of them
are monks. They are self sufficient that is why they were able to achieve a lot. None of them are famous. No one
know their huge libraries.These people are the authentic monks without robes.

Trying to be famous with external ideas like robes, learning will just make the mind go insane, not even possible
to develop one pointed concentration nor to know the natural state or pure perfect presence.
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

gelukman wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:00 am Generally said it is of little benefit to become monk if you are westerner.
By whom? This is not the opinion of my Tibetan teachers.

https://fpmt.org/lama-zopa-rinpoche-new ... al-heroes/
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I appreciate the drive and intention, Riley, but I would urge you to become acquainted with Tibetan practices and traditions, and to proceed by finding a teacher in your area who can guide you. Monastic life is a hard life and one that few Westerners can successfully navigate. One does not need to become a monk and move to India or Tibet to practice on a Kagyu path.

I am not saying there is no value in moving to India and taking vows, but you need to be Eyes Wide Open and already familiar with the practices. Also, language and culture—-these are essential if you decide in “full immersion.” As others noted, “Alms” is not really a thing in Tibetan monasteries, for instance.

Tell us a bit more about yourself. How old are you, where do you reside? You seem to have had some exposure to Tibetan teachers or centers—can you give us more specifics?

If you’re already going to India and Nepal, I recommend seeing if you can stay as short term guest at several places, and maybe sit in group assemblies in morning and evening, first. But most important, you will need a teacher who can look after you and guide you.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

I would suggest investigating your intention. Of course, on « surface level » it is often very good. But with an honest look, sometime we can find different things : desire to be accepted, recognised, to wear special robes, to have « authority », by fear of the world… i don’t say it is the case for you, but investigating is interesting.

Also, sometime we think our goals can be achieved in a certain form and not otherwise. This is false. There are many ways to achieve certain goals.

For exemple one can think you will go « faster » as a monk. It is not necesseraly true. Doing little retreats, practicing everyday and integrating in everyday life can be also a very strong way to progress on the path.

There are many ways. Being a monk may be suited for some, not for everyone. And it is not automaticaly the best path.

You incarnated in an occidental country. Maybe there is a reason for this also.
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

Soma999 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:23 am You incarnated in an occidental country. Maybe there is a reason for this also.
By this logic, Buddhism should have never left the area of Northern India where Shakyamuni Buddha lived and taught.

I think Cone's advice is very good. Before taking robes, you should establish a relationship with a teacher. In Sera Je, for instance, it is required that an established elder takes on responsibility for a novice, they vouch for that novice and are expected to help train them in proper conduct. It is through their help that a novice is accepted into a khangtsen.

Being monastic can be a worthwhile goal, but it is not for the faint-hearted or for those unsure. Being a western monastic in India or Nepal is doubly so.
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
nyonchung

Post by nyonchung »

riley wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:55 pm Wow! Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate everyone's investment on my behalf!

I might have been overlooking the importance of finances but not completely ignorant of it, so I will be comfortable for a couple of years if I'm reasonably careful. It is also my understanding that monastic life does not require personal finances (one of the reasons for moving to Asia for monastic life would be the existence of the tradition of alms, for example) so maybe if someone could explain that for me a bit more in terms of the Tibetan tradition I would really appreciate it.

I am fortunate to have American citizenship (only raised in Norway) so I believe I can obtain a 10 year visa, like previously mentioned.

I have definitely been putting off ordination so I am grabbing the opportunity before I take it away again haha!
Does anyone have any other insights as to why westerners might disrobe? I have definitely contemplated cultural challenges but, currently, I believe I can see them as a challenge to my personal identity rather than the monastic life.

So many great things to add to my list, thank you all again so much!

-Riley
Lots of useful answers you got
Your intention is good, but ...
If you don't have a teacher you perfectly trust and have a real communication with ... first build that
Possibly visite India etc., but hen spend a few years in Dharma centers in the West, learn tibetan, basic rituals, do at least once (twice) the preliminary practice
Learn the basic elements of Dharma IN TIBETAN
Then travel as a fully ordained lay person (on your own money) and have a taste of monastic life in India/Nepal
No South-Asian in a proper frame of mind will give "alms" to a Western monk, monasteries I know have often hard time to feed their own monks and give them full training
They will expect that YOU help them financially.
Monks I know in Nepal manage it because: family help, foreign sponsors, participating in private rituals, are painters, etc.
Food is often terrible ...

All monks must know the basic rituals an prayers before being fully accepted in their monastery, this an old rule ...
You'll have to start à a 6 years old - very young they will adapt to this very special collective life, what about you, how will you deal with disciple, short nights, endless hours of rituals, of memorizing texts?

Then, as a monastic you have two roads:
- ritual / retreats - three years for kagyüpas and most teachers will ordain you only after (or at the retreat gate)
- study - in Tibetan of course - there good shedras in both India and Nepal, if you to become translaters, there are already a few around (and excellent ones) around
Both courses take years and commited (Western) sponsors

Many monks give back because they completely ignored what monastic life is about, and get distressed, find that even if still commited, the structure whers they are cannot support them, that they are not qualified enough compared to their Asian sangha-fellows, that life in Asia is too much for them ...
Back to Europe, there is very little spaces for monks - cost of living, first, and Dharma Centers will prefer to bring in a Tibetan Monk, anyway
Except if you are exceptionnaly qualified or talented

Ah, and read about monastic rules and what they relly imply
Think deeply and start by studying Tibetan with assiduity - this is the first and essential step - start preliminaries
And, before anything, have you ever had in-depht discussions with Western monks, or long-time Dharma practitioners, face to face, not through any site?
"Me and the sky don't hold views - Me and the river have no fixed practice
Me and the madman don't have a guide- Me and the rainbow have no experiences
Me, the sun and the moon have no certitudes - Me and the jewel bear no fruit" - Dampa Sanggyé as quoted by Domar Mingyur Dorjé (born 1675)
riley

Post by riley »

Thank you all for the wonderful advice given. As per the suggestion to update as I go: All advice has been taken to heart genuinely and extremely appreciated and, most importantly, helpful.

I did undergo travels to India and beyond and am now situated in the USA, awaiting an answer for a potential stewardship at a monastery. I have recently felt so much resonance with a stricter interpretation of the Vinaya and have found peace in a Canadian Hinayana monk and I am yet to be ordained. Because of that I am reconsidering ordaining in the Tibetan tradition, as complete and beautiful as it is. I do still see a large potential and merit for ordination in both, if not more traditions.

Thank you again for your wonderful advice, it was influential and meaningful in a deep way.

Much metta to all!
-Riley

Return to “Kagyu”