Mingyur Rinpoche's White Tara

rupam

Mingyur Rinpoche's White Tara

Post by rupam »

Mingyur Rinpoche incorporated White Tara into his preliminary program before someone can ask for higher yanas teachings from him. I'm interested in receiving his teachings. Does anyone know if the White Tara he asks his students to complete is a highest yoga tantra form of White Tara? Is it Terma or Kama? Please direct message me if you are his student or know which White Tara his students do. Thank you.
conebeckham

Re: Mingyur Rinpoche's White Tara

Post by conebeckham »

I believe Mingyur Rinpoche wrote a fairly short sadhana, but I imagine the lineage of empowerment and explanation comes down via Atisha, and I think Serlingpa, down through Karma Chagme, various Karmapas and heart sons of the Karma KAgyu lineage. This is the most common lineage found amongst Kaygu lamas.

I am not sure if it is considered Kriya, etc., but Kagyupas practice it more in keeping with HYT view. It's an important practice, and one many Lamas do every morning. In the Karma KAgyu, there are two sadhanas that are popular, a longer one by one of the Situpas, and a daily practice "Gyun Khyer" written by Kongtrul. I am quite fond of the latter, myself.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

rupam wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:54 am Mingyur Rinpoche incorporated White Tara into his preliminary program before someone can ask for higher yanas teachings from him. I'm interested in receiving his teachings. Does anyone know if the White Tara he asks his students to complete is a highest yoga tantra form of White Tara? Is it Terma or Kama? Please direct message me if you are his student or know which White Tara his students do. Thank you.
He also teaches mahamudra and dzogchen almost from the get go.
Jangchup Donden

Post by Jangchup Donden »

Tata1 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:01 pm
rupam wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:54 am Mingyur Rinpoche incorporated White Tara into his preliminary program before someone can ask for higher yanas teachings from him. I'm interested in receiving his teachings. Does anyone know if the White Tara he asks his students to complete is a highest yoga tantra form of White Tara? Is it Terma or Kama? Please direct message me if you are his student or know which White Tara his students do. Thank you.
My experience of the times I've seen him in person is that he's constantly pointing out the nature of mind to everyone.
heart

Post by heart »

Jangchup Donden wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:25 pm
Tata1 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:01 pm
My experience of the times I've seen him in person is that he's constantly pointing out the nature of mind to everyone.
I agree.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Silent Bob

Post by Silent Bob »

I'm a student of Mingyur Rinpoche's and have received his White Tara empowerment, which is nearly identical to the WT of Situ Tenpe Nyinche's that has been my daily practice for two decades. They are both annutara practices from the Atisha tradition, Mingyur R's sadhana being somewhat more concise. MR's senior monk, Lama Kunga, took some time to explain that it was not a kriya practice.

Chris
"All the sublime teachings, so profound--to throw away one and then grab yet another will not bear even a single fruit. Persevere, therefore, in simply one."
--Dudjom Rinpoche, "Nectar for the Hearts of Fortunate Disciples. Song No. 8"
ManiThePainter

Post by ManiThePainter »

Jangchup Donden wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:25 pm My experience of the times I've seen him in person is that he's constantly pointing out the nature of mind to everyone.
As someone who will be attending a White Tara empowerment with Rinpoche soon, is this something I should try to be aware of?
"Don't mind me, just trying to find the nearest exit"
- someone stuck in Samsara... or maybe lost in Walmart
Nalanda

Post by Nalanda »

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-power-o ... p5m8b_iuJE

That's the one upcoming in Vancouver for this in the area.
IF YOU PRACTICE WITH A STRONG BELIEF IN WHAT
YOU ARE DOING, THEN THERE IS NO LIMIT TO WHAT
YOU CAN ACCOMPLISH WITH YOUR PRACTICE.

CHAKUNG JIGME WANGDRAK RINPOCHE

heart

Post by heart »

ManiThePainter wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:12 am
Jangchup Donden wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:25 pm My experience of the times I've seen him in person is that he's constantly pointing out the nature of mind to everyone.
As someone who will be attending a White Tara empowerment with Rinpoche soon, is this something I should try to be aware of?
When Mingyur Rinpoche is talking about the mind you should be aware of your own mind.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
rupam

Post by rupam »

Thanks everyone for the helpful and informative replies.
ManiThePainter

Post by ManiThePainter »

Nalanda wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:17 am https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-power-o ... p5m8b_iuJE

That's the one upcoming in Vancouver for this in the area.
Yes.
"Don't mind me, just trying to find the nearest exit"
- someone stuck in Samsara... or maybe lost in Walmart
rupam

Post by rupam »

conebeckham wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:32 am I believe Mingyur Rinpoche wrote a fairly short sadhana, but I imagine the lineage of empowerment and explanation comes down via Atisha, and I think Serlingpa, down through Karma Chagme, various Karmapas and heart sons of the Karma KAgyu lineage. This is the most common lineage found amongst Kaygu lamas.

I am not sure if it is considered Kriya, etc., but Kagyupas practice it more in keeping with HYT view. It's an important practice, and one many Lamas do every morning. In the Karma KAgyu, there are two sadhanas that are popular, a longer one by one of the Situpas, and a daily practice "Gyun Khyer" written by Kongtrul. I am quite fond of the latter, myself.
You seem to be the most well-versed person in Kagyu practices. I have a question.
Do I need a 2-day Wangkur from a Kagyu teacher to receive and practice Atisha's White Tara? I have empowerment that are not HYT from Sakya and received oral Dzogchen teachings from Nyingma lamas but never received anything from Kagyu. Thank you!
Last edited by rupam on Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

rupam wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:57 am
conebeckham wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:32 am I believe Mingyur Rinpoche wrote a fairly short sadhana, but I imagine the lineage of empowerment and explanation comes down via Atisha, and I think Serlingpa, down through Karma Chagme, various Karmapas and heart sons of the Karma KAgyu lineage. This is the most common lineage found amongst Kaygu lamas.

You seem to be the most well-versed person in Kagyu practices. I have a question.
Do I need a 2-day Wangkur from a Kagyu teacher to receive and practice Atisha's White Tara? I have empowerment that are not HYT from Sakya and received oral Dzogchen teachings from Nyingma lamas but never received anything from Kagyu. Thank you!

You need the empowerment which is not a “major”wang, that’s all.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Return to “Kagyu”