First Buddhist Primary School Opens in Uganda

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

The Uganda Buddhist Centre, led by the first Ugandan-born Buddhist monk Venerable Bhante Bhikku Ugandawe Buddharakkitha, has announced the official opening of the nation’s first Buddhist primary school.

“[This will be a school] where people learn to train their hands, to train their heads, and also to train their hearts through meditation,”said Ven. Bhante Buddharakkhita. (YouTube)

“At the moment, 24 children are enrolled in our Kindergarten Program, aka Peace School, the Uganda Buddhist Centre shared. “The kids range from 3–5 years old and are from the surrounding area called Bulega. We are funding three full-time teachers and two staff members to cater for everyone and maintain the classrooms.” (Uganda Buddhist Centre)

https://www.buddhistdoor.net/news/first ... in-uganda/

:anjali:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
Aemilius

Re: First Buddhist Primary School Opens in Uganda

Post by Aemilius »

I have always thought that Uganda is same as Ugyen/Ogyen/Urgyen/Oddiyan/Urjanmaa/Urjala/etc...
And that Guru Rimpoche flew with his horse to East-Africa from the Land of Snows.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Aemilius wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:07 pm I have always thought that Uganda is same as Ugyen/Ogyen/Urgyen/Oddiyan/Urjanmaa/Urjala/etc...
And that Guru Rimpoche flew with his horse to East-Africa from the Land of Snows.
I fail to see how the previous kingdom of "Buganda" has anything to do with this linguistic "sound."
https://face2faceafrica.com/article/how ... e-its-name
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Thank you!

"Uganda ("Yuganda" in Ugandan Languages) officially the Republic of Uganda (Swahili: Jamhuri ya Uganda)", Encyclopedia Britannica. 1 March 2014. p. 745.

"Buganda is a Bantu kingdom within Uganda. The kingdom of the Baganda, Buganda is the largest of the traditional kingdoms in present-day East Africa, consisting of Buganda's Central Region, including the Ugandan capital Kampala. The 14 million Baganda (singular Muganda; often referred to simply by the root word and adjective, Ganda) make up the largest Ugandan region, representing approximately 26.6% of Uganda's population.", The World Factbook — Central Intelligence Agency. www.cia.gov. 14 May 2018.

"Uganda has as many as 65 ethnic groups that speak languages from three of Africa’s four major linguistic families.
Ethnic groups: Baganda 16.5%, Banyankole 9.6%, Basoga 8.8%, Bakiga 7.1%, Iteso 7%, Langi 6.3%, Bagisu 4.9%, Acholi 4.4%, Lugbara 3.3%, other 32.1% (2014 est.)", CIA Factbook.
svaha
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Aemilius wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:55 am Thank you!

"Uganda ("Yuganda" in Ugandan Languages) officially the Republic of Uganda (Swahili: Jamhuri ya Uganda)", Encyclopedia Britannica. 1 March 2014. p. 745.

"Buganda is a Bantu kingdom within Uganda. The kingdom of the Baganda, Buganda is the largest of the traditional kingdoms in present-day East Africa, consisting of Buganda's Central Region, including the Ugandan capital Kampala. The 14 million Baganda (singular Muganda; often referred to simply by the root word and adjective, Ganda) make up the largest Ugandan region, representing approximately 26.6% of Uganda's population.", The World Factbook — Central Intelligence Agency. www.cia.gov. 14 May 2018.

"Uganda has as many as 65 ethnic groups that speak languages from three of Africa’s four major linguistic families.
Ethnic groups: Baganda 16.5%, Banyankole 9.6%, Basoga 8.8%, Bakiga 7.1%, Iteso 7%, Langi 6.3%, Bagisu 4.9%, Acholi 4.4%, Lugbara 3.3%, other 32.1% (2014 est.)", CIA Factbook.
Still not convinced; if you bothered to see the article, "Uganda" comes from "Buganda" and I still fail to see how this is related to the South Asian continent (you may as well claim like one lady that the Egyptian god Horus' other name, "Heru", is clearly a reference to the Buddhist "Heruka!")
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

You can also study native african religions, -what you can still find about them. These are often called Voodoo religions. There are some similarities to tantras, and I'm not the only person to have realized that. Some 15 years ago there was a african deity figure which has/had many names, and most of them resembled certain names of Guru Rimpoche. I told this to couple of people over the internett. Then almost over night everything was changed and cancelled in the internett sources of african religion! They are amazingly effective, who ever the "they" may be? But books do not change so quickly, and are more realible, hopefully. Africa has had seafaring connections to India for 2000... 3000 years. There is a minority population in India that has an african origin. And there are different kinds of african people living in India, tall ones and the short ones, in the state of Kerala, for example.
svaha
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Aemilius wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:56 am You can also study native african religions, -what you can still find about them. These are often called Voodoo religions. There are some similarities to tantras, and I'm not the only person to have realized that. Some 15 years ago there was a african deity figure which has/had many names, and most of them resembled certain names of Guru Rimpoche. I told this to couple of people over the internett. Then almost over night everything was changed and cancelled in the internett sources of african religion! They are amazingly effective, who ever the "they" may be? But books do not change so quickly, and are more realible, hopefully. Africa has had seafaring connections to India for 2000... 3000 years. There is a minority population in India that has an african origin. And there are different kinds of african people living in India, tall ones and the short ones, in the state of Kerala, for example.
Lmao And who is this "deity?" Your very ignorance of Africana faiths shows in using such derogatory terms as "Voodoo" (the correct term is "Vodun" and only represents one form of African Diaspora Religions; to use "Voodoo" is to subscribe to ideals originating from white colonialism and enslavement meant to degrade traditional African religions, some of which were developed by pain and survival in the Americas that are still heavily misunderstood and misappropriated by many) let alone an unsurprisingly, conspiratory "Buddho-New Agey syncretism". And since when did these faiths have "books" when they were more a diverse, varying oral tradition? Likewise, can you provide credible sources concerning these "Indo-influenced African faiths" (as if all of continental Africa follows the same faith! Explain the influence of Islam, Judaism, or Christianity on some of these faiths) or millennia-old trades beyond the Egyptians?
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

African religions have been an object of study for departments of European universities for quite a long time now. Results of these studies have been published in books and magazines. If they have decided to use the word "voodoo", which is the case, it is probably because the word is widely known.
svaha
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Aemilius wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:22 am African religions have been an object of study for departments of European universities for quite a long time now. Results of these studies have been published in books and magazines. If they have decided to use the word "voodoo", which is the case, it is probably because the word is widely known.
That is absolutely not an excuse to continue to use such derogatory terminology as "voodoo" because "everyone knows it that way." Would you have Southern academics continue to use the n-word because that's what people in that area knew it as? Likewise, because this is white colonialism we are discussing, A LOT of these old sources tend to be EXTREMELY biased and horribly racist (even the most sympathetic of these old anthropological sources are still biased to a certain extent). Use the correct terminology if you're going to represent these religions properly! Also, just said previously that: "You can also study native african religions, -what you can still find about them. These are often called Voodoo religions"
Suddenly, you're now saying here that it's been "an object of study for departments of European universities for quite a long time now. Results of these studies have been published in books and magazines"?

Either way, I presume you're not mentioning any sources to substantiate your claims on the Africana faiths because you either know nothing on this topic and are making up things or you're too lazy to bother looking beyond the white, racist narratives that are still deeply entrenched into much of modern society that do not reflect the actual faith of Africana practitioners.

To start, here's an educational video I'd recommend:

འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

I am not presently reading this subject, I have read a couple of articles and books about it in the past. There are still books in print where it is called Voodoo. I don't see it as a derogatory word, "derogatory" is an attitude in the mind. The word is also used in internet without derogatory intention or flavor.
svaha
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Aemilius wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:49 pm I am not presently reading this subject, I have read a couple of articles and books about it in the past. There are still books in print where it is called Voodoo. I don't see it as a derogatory word, "derogatory" is an attitude in the mind. The word is also used in internet without derogatory intention or flavor.
Did you bother watching the video? 🙄
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”