Validity of Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche event

ManiThePainter

Validity of Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche event

Post by ManiThePainter »

So I recently found out that Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche would be giving teachings as well as an empowerment in my town. The events are called “Open Heart in Troubled Times - Acting with Compassion for Ourselves and Others” and “The Power of Deity Practice & White Tara Empowerment.” I do not know much about Rinpoche so while I am hesitant to attend the empowerment, I would like to attend his teaching event the day before in order to get a sense of him and to deepen my own practice of compassion.

The trouble is that I can only find confirmation of this event on eventbrite.ca ( https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/open-heart ... orgprofile and from the website tergarca.org.

However, on tergar.org, Rinpoche’s official website, I cannot find any confirmation of this event nor does the website for the venue (Frederic Wood Theatre) have any information whatsoever about this event. The nearby Thrangu monastery however seems to have confirmed an empowerment with Rinpoche on April 19th.

Are the two events mentioned first legitimate?
"Don't mind me, just trying to find the nearest exit"
- someone stuck in Samsara... or maybe lost in Walmart
Chenda

Re: Validity of Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche event

Post by Chenda »

Considering that same Eventbrite account has hosted past events as well, I'm assuming it's legitimate.
With the wisdom of threefold purity, dedicate all the virtue gained from having made such effort toward enlightenment. Dedicate it to clear away the suffering of infinite beings. This is the way of a Bodhisattva.
Gyalsé Ngulchu Tokmé (རྒྱལ་སྲས་དངུལ་ཆུ་ཐོགས་མེད་), The Thirty-Seven Practices of All the Bodhisattvas
Bhumi108w

Post by Bhumi108w »

There is a list of prerequisites to attend his events live. You must be a student of his and have taken his Path of Liberation courses. Or have special permission.
ManiThePainter

Post by ManiThePainter »

Bhumi108w wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:47 pm There is a list of prerequisites to attend his events live. You must be a student of his and have taken his Path of Liberation courses. Or have special permission.
It says clearly on the website:

“There are no prerequisites for this program. Open to all.”
justsit

Post by justsit »

I suggest that you contact the person responsible for programs and scheduling on the Tergar website for clarification, since there is no event page on the site. https://tergar.org/about/contact/

Mingyur Rinpoche is an excellent teacher, if there is any way you can attend his program in person, I highly recommend you do so. It is not unusual for obstacles arise, and we need to be ready to face difficulties and/or make sacrifices in order to create precious dharma connections.
ManiThePainter

Post by ManiThePainter »

justsit wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:45 pm I suggest that you contact the person responsible for programs and scheduling on the Tergar website for clarification, since there is no event page on the site. https://tergar.org/about/contact/

Mingyur Rinpoche is an excellent teacher, if there is any way you can attend his program in person, I highly recommend you do so. It is not unusual for obstacles arise, and we need to be ready to face difficulties and/or make sacrifices in order to create precious dharma connections.
I wrote them and I’ll post here when I get a reply.

I appreciate the advice.

I’m still unsure of whether I should attend the White Tara empowerment the following day. On the one hand it would be nice and Rinpoche seems like a good teacher based on what little I know. On the other hand, I am already participating in Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche’s Green Tara program. I would like to take a Green Tara empowerment with Rinpoche one day.
rupam

Post by rupam »

ManiThePainter wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:48 am
justsit wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:45 pm I suggest that you contact the person responsible for programs and scheduling on the Tergar website for clarification, since there is no event page on the site. https://tergar.org/about/contact/

I appreciate the advice.

I’m still unsure of whether I should attend the White Tara empowerment the following day. On the one hand it would be nice and Rinpoche seems like a good teacher based on what little I know. On the other hand, I am already participating in Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche’s Green Tara program. I would like to take a Green Tara empowerment with Rinpoche one day.
I'd attend it and make a connection with him. You can combine White Tara with your Green Tara, you don't have to practice both.
Chenda

Post by Chenda »

ManiThePainter wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:48 am

I appreciate the advice.

Why not take both? I don't see any conflict.
With the wisdom of threefold purity, dedicate all the virtue gained from having made such effort toward enlightenment. Dedicate it to clear away the suffering of infinite beings. This is the way of a Bodhisattva.
Gyalsé Ngulchu Tokmé (རྒྱལ་སྲས་དངུལ་ཆུ་ཐོགས་མེད་), The Thirty-Seven Practices of All the Bodhisattvas
ManiThePainter

Post by ManiThePainter »

rupam wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:45 am I'd attend it and make a connection with him. You can combine White Tara with your Green Tara, you don't have to practice both.
Chenda wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:15 pm Why not take both? I don't see any conflict.
I didn’t know this. I’ve been hesitant about taking too many empowerments so I wouldn’t have too many or conflicting practice commitments. So you can actually combine both?
ManiThePainter

Post by ManiThePainter »

I can gladly confirm that it is a legitimate event and that Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche will be present.

It must be my good fortune to get this opportunity since I already have aspirations to meet Rinpoche’s two brothers, Tsoknyi Rinpoche and Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche. It was actually reading Sam Harris’ praise of their father, Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche, that convinced me to dive into Tibetan Buddhism years ago. Even though I am not overly fond of Harris, I was (and have been ever since) convinced of TUR’s realization and insight.
justsit

Post by justsit »

Excellent, very auspicious! Even if the teachings may seem fairly basic, nothing earthshaking, just being in the presence of the teacher confers great benefit. Sometimes it takes a while for the blessings to percolate before being manifest, similar to seeds being planted.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

White Tara is a good first empowerment to get. It is a peaceful and gentle practice, and also effective and popular.

When people speak of not getting too many empowerments, mostly they are talking about "higher" practices such as those of the three inner tantras in Nyingma or Highest Yoga Tantras in the New schools, because these often have practice and behavioral commitments that may be burdensome.
ManiThePainter

Post by ManiThePainter »

tingdzin wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:10 am White Tara is a good first empowerment to get. It is a peaceful and gentle practice, and also effective and popular.

When people speak of not getting too many empowerments, mostly they are talking about "higher" practices such as those of the three inner tantras in Nyingma or Highest Yoga Tantras in the New schools, because these often have practice and behavioral commitments that may be burdensome.
That is good information to have. I spent a lot of yesterday trying to find an answer to this. Thanks.

On a slightly related note, I have generally been confused when I look up nearby temples in my area and have found select days for certain practices like White Tara, Green Tara and Chenrezig. I understand that they are lower tantras but are we not supposed to do them daily as part of our practice commitments? Or do we do them when most beneficial? For example, I’ve read that White Tara is good for when you feel ill.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

ManiThePainter wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:57 pm
tingdzin wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:10 am White Tara is a good first empowerment to get. It is a peaceful and gentle practice, and also effective and popular.

That is good information to have. I spent a lot of yesterday trying to find an answer to this. Thanks.

On a slightly related note, I have generally been confused when I look up nearby temples in my area and have found select days for certain practices like White Tara, Green Tara and Chenrezig. I understand that they are lower tantras but are we not supposed to do them daily as part of our practice commitments? Or do we do them when most beneficial? For example, I’ve read that White Tara is good for when you feel ill.
Commitments for such practices are specific in my experience, there are no “automatic” daily practices and when no specific commitment is given, there might not be one.

Of course maintaining Bodhicitta, making sincere effort etc. is a given, a daily practice commitment is not. That would usually be explicit, again just in my experience.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama

Return to “North America (USA & Canada)”