Hats

Konchog1

Hats

Post by Konchog1 »

What's the difference in usage between these two hats? Thank you.
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (58.94 KiB) Viewed 734 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (52.76 KiB) Viewed 734 times
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Hats

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

One type is floofy and the other is pointy.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

The second shows academic rank. I'm not certain about the gelug system for this. The first shows an unhealthy affinity for poultry.
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

Konchog1 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:10 am What's the difference in usage between these two hats? Thank you.
The pandita hat (worn by the two Trisur Rinpoches in the photo) is only for high ranking lamas and lineage holders, and even then only the Dalai Lamas Panchen Lamas, Ganden Tripa, Trisur, Jangtse and Sharpa Choje would wear it regularly. Others will on most occasions wear the mane hat in the first photo.

The mane hat is a general ritual hat worn across lineages, I think in some Gelug contexts it is restricted to monastics who have at least started their philosophical studies.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

I know we should not get attached, but boy oh boy do I wish for a special fun hat for lay westerners. It could be fun and cover my balding head. :spy:
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
tony_montana

Post by tony_montana »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:46 pm I know we should not get attached, but boy oh boy do I wish for a special fun hat for lay westerners. It could be fun and cover my balding head. :spy:
Wouldn't it be fun to have a Pirate hat with a vishva-vajra instead of the cross-bones beneath the skull?
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

tony_montana wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:50 am
Könchok Thrinley wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:46 pm I know we should not get attached, but boy oh boy do I wish for a special fun hat for lay westerners. It could be fun and cover my balding head. :spy:
Wouldn't it be fun to have a Pirate hat with a vishva-vajra instead of the cross-bones beneath the skull?
:rolling:

Taking the metaphor of a sea captain literally. Love it!
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra

Return to “Gelug”