The Future of American Buddhism

Here we can publicise upcoming dharma events (talks, retreats, webcasts, etc).
clyde

The Future of American Buddhism

Post by clyde »

The Future of American Buddhism Webinar Series

https://futureofamericanbuddhism.com/sfzc-register/

Discussion Topics:
  • Tradition and Innovation - March 29
  • Dharma for the Environmental Crisis - April 5
  • Leadership, Power, and Empowerment - April 12
  • Engaged Buddhism in the 21st Century - April 19
  • BIPOC Wisdom & Skillful Means - April 26
  • Digital Dharma and Virtual Sangha - May 3
When you register, you will be invited to join our private online discussion group for ongoing conversation!
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

“The most straightforward advice on awakening enlightened mind is this: practice not causing harm to anyone—yourself or others—and every day, do what you can to be helpful.” Pema Chodron, “What to Do When the Going Gets Rough”
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: The Future of American Buddhism

Post by Queequeg »

clyde wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:47 pm The Future of American Buddhism Webinar Series

Discussion Topics:
When you register, you will be invited to join our private online discussion group for ongoing conversation!
That first scheduled topic suggests this thing is not worth the time.

People want to talk about innovation, but you'd need to have something to innovate from.

"When ordinary people in this latter age read these various sutras, they suppose that these sutras accord with the mind of the Buddha. But if we ponder the matter closely, we will see that in fact what they are reading is only a reflection of their own minds. And since their own minds are naturally uncultivated, there is little merit to be gained thereby."
-Nichiren

I'm taking that quote out of context, but I don't see any proof that there are any significant numbers of people who have gotten out of their room of mirrors, so when people talk about innovation of Dharma in the West, I find what they're usually talking about is making Dharma palatable to their predispositions and tastes.

Leadership, Power, and Empowerment? Ugh. BIPOC wisdom? :eyeroll:

pass.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Queequeg wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:28 am
clyde wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:47 pm The Future of American Buddhism Webinar Series

Discussion Topics:
That first scheduled topic suggests this thing is not worth the time.

People want to talk about innovation, but you'd need to have something to innovate from.

"When ordinary people in this latter age read these various sutras, they suppose that these sutras accord with the mind of the Buddha. But if we ponder the matter closely, we will see that in fact what they are reading is only a reflection of their own minds. And since their own minds are naturally uncultivated, there is little merit to be gained thereby."
-Nichiren

I'm taking that quote out of context, but I don't see any proof that there are any significant numbers of people who have gotten out of their room of mirrors, so when people talk about innovation of Dharma in the West, I find what they're usually talking about is making Dharma palatable to their predispositions and tastes.

Leadership, Power, and Empowerment? Ugh. BIPOC wisdom? :eyeroll:

pass.
I totally disagree with your negative take on this. Any conversation amongst sincere people about modern Buddhism is a welcome thing nowadays. It sounds like you’re judging in advance what the entire conversation is about, without even hearing one argument or side of anything and shutting down discourse before it even begins. Give peace a chance and give Buddhist discussion a chance. Or else there is the gulag, do you want to go there?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leadership, Power, and Empowerment…

pass.
Sounds pretty Holiday Day Inn business conference-style, real estate seminar.
clyde

Post by clyde »

I think a discussion between committed practitioners about “tradition and innovation” could be interesting. Ten years ago I saw Jack Kornfield on a panel noting that “Every generation has both ‘conservers’ and ‘adapters’” and that the first argument between them began immediately at the Buddha’s passing.

Really, whether this conference will be of any value is mostly dependent on the speakers, not the topic labels.
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

“The most straightforward advice on awakening enlightened mind is this: practice not causing harm to anyone—yourself or others—and every day, do what you can to be helpful.” Pema Chodron, “What to Do When the Going Gets Rough”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

clyde wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:58 am I think a discussion between committed practitioners about “tradition and innovation” could be interesting. Ten years ago I saw Jack Kornfield on a panel noting that “Every generation has both ‘conservers’ and ‘adapters’” and that the first argument between them began immediately at the Buddha’s passing.

Really, whether this conference will be of any value is mostly dependent on the speakers, not the topic labels.
People will meet, talk, eat food (the sensible people will also get a drink together), have a nice feeling, go home, and nothing will have happened of any significance other than a Tricycle article about how important it all was.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Some of the subjects would, in theory, be really good to have honest conversations about.

However, it might just feel like a mandatory HR seminar with Buddhist trappings, judging from the tone, pretty much on the same page with QQ.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:03 am
clyde wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:58 am I think a discussion between committed practitioners about “tradition and innovation” could be interesting. Ten years ago I saw Jack Kornfield on a panel noting that “Every generation has both ‘conservers’ and ‘adapters’” and that the first argument between them began immediately at the Buddha’s passing.

People will meet, talk, eat food (the sensible people will also get a drink together), have a nice feeling, go home
Isn’t it a Webinar?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

KristenM wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:21 am
Malcolm wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:03 am

People will meet, talk, eat food (the sensible people will also get a drink together), have a nice feeling, go home
Isn’t it a Webinar?
Even more hollow and self-important, then.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

I like the outreach angle, maybe get a bunch of visitors and so on. Even if SFZC was my home center I wouldn't attend as a participant, but I'd make assisting the production a form of work practice.

Big events like this are how the big dharma machines operate; you have to get the butts onto cushions on a larger scale. Happily there are smaller dharma operations also, for those so disposed.
HePo

Post by HePo »

narhwal90 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:59 am I like the outreach angle, maybe get a bunch of visitors and so on. Even if SFZC was my home center I wouldn't attend as a participant, but I'd make assisting the production a form of work practice.

Big events like this are how the big dharma machines operate; you have to get the butts onto cushions on a larger scale. Happily there are smaller dharma operations also, for those so disposed.
I do not know how much SFZC is involved - only one on the panel is associated with SFZC.

It seems to be part of a series organised by Naropa University and the Lenz Foundation

Lenz Foundation - Frederick Lenz aka Zen Master Rama
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

HePo wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:32 am
narhwal90 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:59 am I like the outreach angle, maybe get a bunch of visitors and so on. Even if SFZC was my home center I wouldn't attend as a participant, but I'd make assisting the production a form of work practice.

I do not know how much SFZC is involved - only one on the panel is associated with SFZC.

It seems to be part of a series organised by Naropa University and the Lenz Foundation

Lenz Foundation - Frederick Lenz aka Zen Master Rama
Part of the reason Shambhala is going off the rails is the influence of the Lenz foundation.

I recall seeing this guy hanging up his own fliers in Harvard square back in the 80’s.

He drowned off the end of his dock in Long Island, found wearing a dog collar.
Tills ljuset tar oss

Post by Tills ljuset tar oss »

I read a book about Frederick Lenz when i was 14. He was a flim flam artist of the highest rank. Definitely stay away from this or anything that has to do with him!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

narhwal90 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:59 am
Big events like this are how the big dharma machines operate; you have to get the butts onto cushions on a larger scale.
Corporate Buddhism is horrible. All the big scandals come from such entities.

Is it a surprise that the Lenz Foundation is sponsoring this? No. Fredrick Lenz was a huge fraud. The Lenz Foundation has about as much to do with Buddhism as Exxon has to do with combatting climate change.

Lenz’s grift was “American Buddhism.” His scheme was to get naive people to come to concerts by his Kitaro influenced new age band, Zazen, and call that meditation. He wrote stupid, orientalist adventure novels that make T. Lobsang Rampa look credible by comparison, such memorable titles as Surfing in the Himalayas, featuring, I kid you not, a fellow named Master Fwap, etc. The more intelligent people he sent to school to learn computer science, set them up with Wall Street jobs, and tithed them 10%. In this way he became wealthy very quickly through his software company filled with devotees. But it all had nothing to do with Buddhadharma.

After Lenz’s suicide/accidental death (it’s not clear which), one of his main students married one of Namkhai Drime Rinpoche’s daughters. Her sister married Mukpo and became queen of Shambhala. You can guess the rest.

The advisory board for the Lenz Foundation is telling:

Liz Lewinson, Chairperson
B. A. Smith, Co-Chairperson
Dr. Koshin Paley Ellison, MFA, LMSW, DMin, co-founder, the New York Zen Center for Contemplative Care
Lisa Marshall, CEO, Rama Meditation Society
Acharya Fleet Maull, Prison Dharma Network
Jeffrey Richardson, Sr. Consulting Information Technology Architect, IBM
James Shaheen, Editor and Publisher – Tricycle: The Buddhist Review
Judith Simmer-Brown, Ph.D., Professor of Contemplative and Religious Studies, Naropa University

I wouldn’t participate in one of their conferences if you paid me. This isn’t about getting butts onto cushions, it’s about legitimizing one of the biggest grifters in the short history of Buddhism in the West.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Ah well if its not an SFZC operation and they're just contributing people for the panels then I'd just stay at the center and rake gravel.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

KristenM wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:54 am I totally disagree with your negative take on this. Any conversation amongst sincere people about modern Buddhism is a welcome thing nowadays. It sounds like you’re judging in advance what the entire conversation is about, without even hearing one argument or side of anything and shutting down discourse before it even begins. Give peace a chance and give Buddhist discussion a chance. Or else there is the gulag, do you want to go there?
Sure. Sincerity gets one a lot of credibility. But I've also sat through a lot of sincere discussions that were dumb as dirt.

"Innovation" in Dharma is nonsense. If they were talking about adaptation, I might be inclined to listen a little bit. But that choice of words is indicative of the way the organizers contemplated organizing this. If we're talking about innovation, in terms of Dharma, an innovator would need to be of such advancement and mastery - they'd need to be Buddha or a great bodhisattva. Adapting - that's something a little closer to the capacities of most people in the West that I see.

As others have noted, the HR speak is strong. I have an allergic reaction to people who use that vocabulary. In my experience, people who use that language are not interesting to me. The vocabulary they chose to use to market this is itself exclusionary.

I appreciate the good intention. I appreciate they're trying to appeal to a certain type of people. Its a crowd I find no benefit in spending time with.

Maybe I'm wrong and they're fantastic, fascinating, edifying people. Then the marketing sucks.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

innovation =/= adaptation. The choice of words speaks volumes.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Queequeg wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:16 pm
KristenM wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:54 am I totally disagree with your negative take on this. Any conversation amongst sincere people about modern Buddhism is a welcome thing nowadays. It sounds like you’re judging in advance what the entire conversation is about, without even hearing one argument or side of anything and shutting down discourse before it even begins. Give peace a chance and give Buddhist discussion a chance. Or else there is the gulag, do you want to go there?
Sure. Sincerity gets one a lot of credibility. But I've also sat through a lot of sincere discussions that were dumb as dirt.

"Innovation" in Dharma is nonsense. If they were talking about adaptation, I might be inclined to listen a little bit. But that choice of words is indicative of the way the organizers contemplated organizing this. If we're talking about innovation, in terms of Dharma, an innovator would need to be of such advancement and mastery - they'd need to be Buddha or a great bodhisattva. Adapting - that's something a little closer to the capacities of most people in the West that I see.

As others have noted, the HR speak is strong. I have an allergic reaction to people who use that vocabulary. In my experience, people who use that language are not interesting to me. The vocabulary they chose to use to market this is itself exclusionary.

I appreciate the good intention. I appreciate they're trying to appeal to a certain type of people. Its a crowd I find no benefit in spending time with.

Maybe I'm wrong and they're fantastic, fascinating, edifying people. Then the marketing sucks.
Yeah, I didn’t really look closely at the content which does sound cheesy. I did once go to an event in San Francisco which was a debate on the topics of engaged Buddhism and something else with Anne Klein, Karl Brunholz and some Zen monk whom I forgot his name. Anyhow, it was excellent and hilarious too. They all argued for one side and then would have to reverse themselves and argue the opposite pov. But this event does look like some corporate pc schlock.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

KristenM wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:38 pm But this event does look like some corporate pc schlock.
And the grift goes on…

Set to tune of “And The Beat Goes On” by the Whispers:

Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:56 am
Leadership, Power, and Empowerment…

pass.

Sounds pretty Holiday Day Inn business conference-style, real estate seminar.

Lol This^

I had to deal with that type of douchebaggery when I sold cell phones when I was younger. And my ’bosses’ there even asked me basically how I was able to make sales without being high-pressure.

Manly P. Hall 33° wrote:Though the demonism of the Middle Ages seems to have disappeared, there is abundant evidence that in many forms of modern thought--especially the so-called "prosperity" psychology, "willpower-building" metaphysics, and systems of "high-pressure" salesmanship--black magic has merely passed through a metamorphosis, and although its name be changed its nature remains the same."

Unfortunately I think that I did use some of their NLP type tactics that they taught us to use.
Last edited by Sādhaka on Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Dharma Events”