Someone go tell DJKR

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
PeterC

Re: Someone go tell DJKR

Post by PeterC »

Punya wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:23 am Whether he has all the facts or not, maybe one of the points he's making (to his followers) is simply that many of us consume a media diet that reinforces our existing views and we could try stepping outside occasionally.
That sounds like a good idea until you think...what exactly should we read/watch to get a more diverse media diet? Pravda? One America News Network? Korean Central Television, bringing you alternative perspectives from Pyongyang?

If you read the Ukraine discussion thread, I think everyone recognizes the complexities of the NATO-Russia relationship, and understands Putin's argument that he felt threatened. We can still conclude that it's a BS argument and in no way justifies his invasion. Most people are very familiar with the Russian talking points: they're not alternative views, they're just wrong, for the most part.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Punya wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:23 am What is most amusing about this thread is how well-informed some of you are on DJKR's political pronouncements (on Facebook). You could just tune out.

Whether he has all the facts or not, maybe one of the points he's making (to his followers) is simply that many of us consume a media diet that reinforces our existing views and we could try stepping outside occasionally.
:good:
Natan

Post by Natan »

Crazy his IG account has 810 followers but his FB page has 121,000. Whaaaaaaaaa?
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Crazywisdom wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:06 pm Crazy his IG account has 810 followers but his FB page has 121,000. Whaaaaaaaaa?
Different demographics. FB is for old people (in developed economies). Either that or he’s not very good at taking photos
Natan

Post by Natan »

PeterC wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:24 am
Crazywisdom wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:06 pm Crazy his IG account has 810 followers but his FB page has 121,000. Whaaaaaaaaa?
Different demographics. FB is for old people (in developed economies). Either that or he’s not very good at taking photos
I basically quit the internet after websites. Social media just mystifies me.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Crazywisdom wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:02 pm
Seeing the way the younger generation lives on it makes me feel old. I hate it.
Natan

Post by Natan »

PeterC wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:53 pm
Crazywisdom wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:02 pm

Seeing the way the younger generation lives on it makes me feel old. I hate it.
Every conversation begins with, Show me your Instagram. I'm like oh here's a picture of my cocktail.
justsit

Post by justsit »

PeterC wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:53 pm Seeing the way the younger generation lives on it [social media] makes me feel old. I hate it.
Makes me feel sad. Apparently many have such social anxiety they don't know how to have a "real life" friend or interact in a live social situation.
Take the phone away, they're lost.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Apparently in order to use facebook, you have to be older than the internet.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Crazywisdom wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:42 pm Every conversation begins with, Show me your Instagram. I'm like oh here's a picture of my cocktail.
:rolling:

Pretty true. I don't do IG or Tiktok, or Telegram. Facebook barely, anymore.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

justsit wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:15 pm
PeterC wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:53 pm Seeing the way the younger generation lives on it [social media] makes me feel old. I hate it.
Makes me feel sad. Apparently many have such social anxiety they don't know how to have a "real life" friend or interact in a live social situation.
That said - suppose you woke up one morning and found yourself in a rural community a thousand years ago. You’re told to go milk the cow, catch a couple of rabbits to make a stew, and get a fire started.
justsit

Post by justsit »

I'd be OK with the fire starting, I heat my house with wood. Could probably milk the cow, in a pinch. Would do better fishing than snaring the meat. :tongue:

I get your point, though. My comment was related to interpersonal skills, not survival skills. Maybe for people born after the invention of the cell phone it's the same thing. Social media is social life? :thinking:

Dunno, I guess my idea of a "friend" is old school - a person who has your back, and you have theirs, and you'll be there for each other when things get rough. Hard to do that in a virtual world, as I think a lot of people found out since COVID appeared. Zoom is fine, but not a very good substitute for a hug.

Edit to add: sorry for the diversion, getting off topic here.
Natan

Post by Natan »

PeterC wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:41 am
That said - suppose you woke up one morning and found yourself in a rural community a thousand years ago. You’re told to go milk the cow, catch a couple of rabbits to make a stew, and get a fire started.
There's a lot of flat affect going on. In person conversations with this generation are a lot less interesting than their texting. They basically dead to the analog world.
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Crazywisdom wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:59 pm
There's a lot of flat affect going on. In person conversations with this generation are a lot less interesting than their texting. They basically dead to the analog world.
I’ve had some pretty awesome conversations with young folks in real life (I’m not counting my kids, that would be too easy, but definitely them too) and there is some pretty awesome stuff going on nowadays, I think.
Not that everything’s rosy, but I’m highly skeptical of blanket dismals of a generation being anything other than older folks not understanding (and as a getting-older folk, there’s a lot that I don’t understand, so I get that too. Of course).
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

climb-up wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:34 pm

I’ve had some pretty awesome conversations with young folks in real life (I’m not counting my kids, that would be too easy, but definitely them too) and there is some pretty awesome stuff going on nowadays, I think.
It's all just variations on a theme. The only thing I notice is that younger people seem a lot more neurotic than before, as an aggregate.
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:07 pm
It's all just variations on a theme. The only thing I notice is that younger people seem a lot more neurotic than before, as an aggregate.
I could see that.
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
Natan

Post by Natan »

Not that everything’s rosy, but I’m highly skeptical of blanket dismals of a generation being anything other than older folks not understanding (and as a getting-older folk, there’s a lot that I don’t understand, so I get that too. Of course).
That's true too.
Nilasarasvati
Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?

Post by Nilasarasvati »

This was a very helpful string of comments to read, in general. And it echoes all of my frustrations.

I am in communication with his partner, I believe. We are not close, we do not discuss the nature of their relationship, but I'm somewhat certain that she is his Sang yum.

I'll be the first person to cop to hating liberals and wanting to needle them--but it's because I'm coming from an even farther leftist position. DJKR, if he is needling liberals, has to be located somewhere politically by consequence. He can't sit in an imaginary neutral place where he edgy toward everyone equally. Malcolm's quote about the nostalgia all but spells it out: there are far right/fascist overtones to everything his facebook presence communicates. Contempt for women, farcical preoccupation with an imaginary past and wish to recreate it, resentment of any international accountability for things as blatantly egregious as ethnic cleansing or genocide.

In my mind, that's a very big deal for a dharma teacher to be a between-the-lines Fascist. And just like Trump, he can always be able to hide behind "I was just joking," but only an idiot would fail to see the overwhelming pattern in what he communicates. It's not like half the time he sits there needling conservatives, or sharing Memes from the far left. He is not an equal opportunity offender.

It's very discouraging to see a teacher I idealized for a long time descend into this. I have a practice from him that I treasure, and his pith instructions were some of the most helpful I have ever heard. I wished, and told his partner a long time ago, that I wished so badly he would just leave the social media alone. Stop kicking wasp nests. It's certainly done nothing but make his sycophants more disgusting to behold and leave the rest of his students with "nausea and sleepless nights" or whatever he took pride in giving Liberals.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

He’s part of an Asian hereditary monarchy and theocracy. Why should he know anything about western society?

He may know a lot about the Dharma. But knowing a lot about the Buddhadharma does not make you an expert on anything apart from the Buddhadharma.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Nilasarasvati wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:06 am In my mind, that's a very big deal for a dharma teacher to be a between-the-lines Fascist.
I don’t think this is correct. If anything, he is a monarchist, while at the same time he imagines himself to be an anti-imperialist. So, for example, he tried to blame the situation in Burma on the British. And, factually speaking, he grew tired people correcting his historical blunders and shitposting, and now mostly posts “puppies and kittens” on his Facebook feed. But he is not a crypto-fascist, he is someone who derives his opinions from mainstream Indian media. This makes sense, because he lives in India, is grateful to India, and sees in India the past glories of the Buddhist hegemony, which ended in 495 CE.

Return to “Lounge”