Someone go tell DJKR

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Toenail

Someone go tell DJKR

Post by Toenail »

It is not really as simple as just saying one does not endorse certain views etc., if you share it you kinda wear it. I don't really get his edgy internet persona. I met him on the Boudhanath stupa and his presence gave me goosebumps even without the groupies and yuppies around him. But I don't really get his social media activity.
Norwegian

Re: Someone go tell DJKR

Post by Norwegian »

Toenail wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:19 pm It is not really as simple as just saying one does not endorse certain views etc., if you share it you kinda wear it. I don't really get his edgy internet persona. I met him on the Boudhanath stupa and his presence gave me goosebumps even without the groupies and yuppies around him. But I don't really get his social media activity.
I feel like there's a particular context here that is missing. Maybe if you shared what you're referring to, it'd be easier to understand where you're coming from.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Norwegian wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:28 pm
Toenail wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:19 pm It is not really as simple as just saying one does not endorse certain views etc., if you share it you kinda wear it. I don't really get his edgy internet persona. I met him on the Boudhanath stupa and his presence gave me goosebumps even without the groupies and yuppies around him. But I don't really get his social media activity.
I feel like there's a particular context here that is missing. Maybe if you shared what you're referring to, it'd be easier to understand where you're coming from.
The context is that DJKR thinks the US is bombing the Ukraine.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Toenail wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:19 pm It is not really as simple as just saying one does not endorse certain views etc., if you share it you kinda wear it. I don't really get his edgy internet persona.
It is pretty simple: he is a reactionary who neither understands nor supports liberal democracy.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:30 pm
Norwegian wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:28 pm
The context is that DJKR thinks the US is bombing the Ukraine.

What an incredibly dumb take by Dzongsar Khyentse...
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Norwegian wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:39 pm
What an incredibly dumb take by Dzongsar Khyentse...
DJKR stays on facebook where he is lauded by sycophants, no matter what he says.

I don't think he could take on the twitter mean girls. For them, he would just be a light snack.
Bhumi108w

Post by Bhumi108w »

I sense some folks are not fans of DJKR here.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Bhumi108w wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:15 am I sense some folks are not fans of DJKR here.

I’m not very much, TBH (although that could possibly change if I ever met him). Yet not because he seems to like to ruffle some PC-westerners feathers at times….
Last edited by Sādhaka on Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

I was a fan, but am also feeling the same perplexity. The way he continues the whataboutism and proliferates arguments based on gross generalizations and false narratives. I guess we always learn the hard way that our teachers aren’t perfect.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

His next best-seller will be “The Guru Spreads Disinformation from China and Russia on the Internet.”
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

A lot of the Facebook comments (replies) to his post do not agree with him.

He grew up with a lot of anger and resentment towards British imperialism in India. He still speaks unfavorably about anything British, and is very critical of Buddhism filtered through a western context. For example, he wrote along article regarding the scandal surrounding Sogyal Rinpoche, and while neither condemning nor excusing Sogyal’s actions, suggested that the real culprit is western Buddhists failure to properly understand the the guru-pupil dynamic.

So, his first response is always ‘don’t always look at things from beyond your typically bloated European or American perspective’ which is a bluntness that many of his followers admire about him (not unlike with Trump and his followers, or many outspoken people who say shocking things just to stir things up). And when later pressed on the subject, they usually fall back on “what I meant was…the point that I was making was…” and “of course my heart goes out to…”

But it is unfortunate that he allowed himself to take such an opportunist stand. There is a time and place for proper political criticism. Attacking victims and those trying to help victims in order to point out some hypocrisy or settle old scores is lacking in both wisdom and compassion, and skillful means.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

KristenM wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:47 am I was a fan, but am also feeling the same perplexity. The way he continues the whataboutism and proliferates arguments based on gross generalizations and false narratives. I guess we always learn the hard way that our teachers aren’t perfect.
The fact that when he “teaches” he basically rambles on and on and keeps drifting from the topic wasn’t enough, eh?
:lol:
I think he’s brilliant, has accomplished many great things, and is an excellent film maker. But he’s got one hell of a chip on his shoulder.
Maybe when everything is “verrrrrry important” as he like to say (constantly) one starts to mix up their priorities.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:08 am
KristenM wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:47 am I was a fan, but am also feeling the same perplexity. The way he continues the whataboutism and proliferates arguments based on gross generalizations and false narratives. I guess we always learn the hard way that our teachers aren’t perfect.
The fact that when he “teaches” he basically rambles on and on and keeps drifting from the topic wasn’t enough, eh?
:lol:
I think he’s brilliant, has accomplished many great things, and is an excellent film maker. But he’s got one hell of a chip on his shoulder.
Maybe when everything is “verrrrrry important” as he like to say (constantly) one starts to mix up their priorities.
I really loved his father’s books, but I’ve never met either of them in person. I give him credit for his creativity and passion. I’ve got a similar feeling about Uma Thurman, whom I have met and wasn’t totally blown away by her Bodhisattva qualities either. The apple falls far from the tree at times. Chalk it up to worldly distractions.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Bhumi108w wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:15 am I sense some folks are not fans of DJKR here.
DJKR’s politics are not interesting or particularly well-informed. His grasp of modern history is atrocious.

Nevertheless, he has used his reputation to benefit many people with the dharma, despite what ever one perceive his personal limitations to be.

I generally make a point of separating people’s politics from their commitment to Dharma.
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

KristenM wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:32 am I’ve got a similar feeling about Uma Thurman, whom I have met and wasn’t totally blown away by her Bodhisattva qualities either.
Not intending to be critical but afaik she's just an ordinary person so expecting her to have the qualities of a bodhisattva may be a bit unrealistic.

Or am I missing something and she's been recognized as the incarnation of a Lama?

Either way maybe you just got her on a bad day.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Tilopa wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:54 am Not intending to be critical but afaik she's just an ordinary person
What makes you DJKR is anything other than an ordinary person?
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Tilopa wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:54 am
KristenM wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:32 am I’ve got a similar feeling about Uma Thurman, whom I have met and wasn’t totally blown away by her Bodhisattva qualities either.
Not intending to be critical but afaik she's just an ordinary person so expecting her to have the qualities of a bodhisattva may be a bit unrealistic.

Or am I missing something and she's been recognized as the incarnation of a Lama?

For sure. It is an unrealistic expectation to assume a child of a great Buddhist practitioner would have those same qualities.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

KristenM wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:06 am

For sure. It is an unrealistic expectation to assume a child of a great Buddhist practitioner would have those same qualities.
Who says Thurman is a “great Buddhist practitioner?” I met him, and while he can be funny, I found him to be rather hysterical and brittle in general.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:27 am
KristenM wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:06 am

Who says Thurman is a “great Buddhist practitioner?” I met him, and while he can be funny, I found him to be rather hysterical and brittle in general.
True, I merely assumed.
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

I really like his book “what makes you not Buddhist,”’and the part of “not for happiness” that I read.

I am not a fan of this nonsense!
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa

Return to “Lounge”