Someone go tell DJKR

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Nilasarasvati
Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?

Re: Someone go tell DJKR

Post by Nilasarasvati »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:00 pm
Nilasarasvati wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:06 am In my mind, that's a very big deal for a dharma teacher to be a between-the-lines Fascist.
I don’t think this is correct.... he is not a crypto-fascist, he is someone who derives his opinions from mainstream Indian media. This makes sense, because he lives in India, is grateful to India, and sees in India the past glories of the Buddhist hegemony, which ended in 495 CE.
I agree with this assessment semantically but the difference between a monarchist and a fascist is probably immaterial in 2022. If we can assume that he's a fan of the BJP, Aung San Suu Kyi, sees Putin as some kind of underdog etc., it amounts to sympathizing with ethnonationalism and what I think of as a resurgence of global fascism.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

DJKR’s latest FB post arguing the US is provoking China by Nancy Pelosi visiting Taiwan is ahem, interesting, I guess.

Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:00 pm
Nilasarasvati wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:06 am In my mind, that's a very big deal for a dharma teacher to be a between-the-lines Fascist.
I don’t think this is correct. If anything, he is a monarchist, while at the same time he imagines himself to be an anti-imperialist. So, for example, he tried to blame the situation in Burma on the British. And, factually speaking, he grew tired people correcting his historical blunders and shitposting, and now mostly posts “puppies and kittens” on his Facebook feed. But he is not a crypto-fascist, he is someone who derives his opinions from mainstream Indian media. This makes sense, because he lives in India, is grateful to India, and sees in India the past glories of the Buddhist hegemony, which ended in 495 CE.
The Pala Empire will rise again.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

KristenM wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:31 am DJKR’s latest FB post arguing the US is provoking China by Nancy Pelosi visiting Taiwan is ahem, interesting, I guess.
He needs to stick to topics he actually knows something about, rather than trying to comment on relatively complex geopolitics that he simply doesn't understand.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

PeterC wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:57 am
KristenM wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:31 am DJKR’s latest FB post arguing the US is provoking China by Nancy Pelosi visiting Taiwan is ahem, interesting, I guess.
He needs to stick to topics he actually knows something about, rather than trying to comment on relatively complex geopolitics that he simply doesn't understand.
Yes. I’ve learned not to be surprised, like when kids learn that their parents aren’t actually perfect.

I may have gone too far by calling out a Russian troll on his post, but when people try to pass themselves off as US Generals on FB that support lame ideas, someone needs to speak up.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

KristenM wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:18 am
Yes. I’ve learned not to be surprised, like when kids learn that their parents aren’t actually perfect.

I may have gone too far by calling out a Russian troll on his post, but when people try to pass themselves off as US Generals on FB that support lame ideas, someone needs to speak up.
Today he both castigated Biden for eliminating bin Laden’s #2, and had a meltdown over Pelosi’s landing in Taiwan, much sycophantic handwringing ensued….
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I don't use Fauxbook, but anyone describing themselves as a senior serving military officer on there is, obviously, almost certainly not that.

He needs to get his head out of his own ass and realize that apart from the Dharma, he doesn't have anything to say, so he should stick to that. His social media reads like someone with psychological issues.
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

PeterC wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:15 amHis social media reads like someone with psychological issues.
Frankly, it reads like someone who would have supported the transformation of society after fascist forces had come to power in certain 20th century European countries, happy so to gain or maintain their standing in society.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Archie2009 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:43 am
PeterC wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:15 amHis social media reads like someone with psychological issues.
Frankly, it reads like someone who would have supported the transformation of society after fascist forces had come to power in certain 20th century European countries, happy so to gain or maintain their standing in society.
There were a lot of religious leaders who embraced fascism in that period - also in Japan, for that matter, and in places like Argentina and Spain after the second world war. Probably more aligned with the government of the day than opposed it. The reasons are always subsequently debated, was it due to compulsion or survival, etc. But I'm hesitant to speculate about what DJKr *might* say or do, because we don't really know. All we know is what he does say, and that's enough.
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

PeterC wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:11 am
Archie2009 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:43 am
There were a lot of religious leaders who embraced fascism in that period - also in Japan, for that matter, and in places like Argentina and Spain after the second world war. Probably more aligned with the government of the day than opposed it. The reasons are always subsequently debated, was it due to compulsion or survival, etc. But I'm hesitant to speculate about what DJKr *might* say or do, because we don't really know. All we know is what he does say, and that's enough.
Religion was sometimes under attack under facism like in Nazi Germany, but enough musicians, conductors, directors, actors, artists, scientists, philosophers, etc. also willingly cooperated to gain or maintain standing. And it's not like DJKR hasn't already shown ability to turn a blind eye to violence, genocide, and now in Ukraine conquest, war crimes, torture, etc.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Archie2009 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:42 am
Archie2009 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:43 am Frankly, it reads like someone who would have supported the transformation of society after fascist forces had come to power in certain 20th century European countries, happy so to gain or maintain their standing in society.
Religion was sometimes under attack under facism like in Nazi Germany, but enough musicians, conductors, directors, actors, artists, scientists, philosophers, etc. also willingly cooperated to gain or maintain standing. And it's not like DJKR hasn't already shown ability to turn a blind eye to violence, genocide, and now in Ukraine conquest, war crimes, torture, etc.
I'm not judging. Most peoples' deeply-held religious sentiments and moral codes are less important to them than keeping their fingernails. But I can't say anything about DJKr in that respect.
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

PeterC wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:12 am
Archie2009 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:42 am

I'm not judging. Most peoples' deeply-held religious sentiments and moral codes are less important to them than keeping their fingernails. But I can't say anything about DJKr in that respect.
I have no opinion of DJKR outside of his writings, mostly on social media.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Archie2009 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:33 am I have no opinion of DJKR outside of his writings, mostly on social media.
The first thing I read of his was his book (really a compilation of an oral teaching series) on the Uttaratantrashastra, which was excellent, and very helpful when I was studying it. So I’ve never questioned his abilities as a Dharma teacher. I wish he would stick to that.
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

PeterC wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:01 pm
Archie2009 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:33 am I have no opinion of DJKR outside of his writings, mostly on social media.
The first thing I read of his was his book (really a compilation of an oral teaching series) on the Uttaratantrashastra, which was excellent, and very helpful when I was studying it. So I’ve never questioned his abilities as a Dharma teacher. I wish he would stick to that.
As far as I am concerned, when he is talking politics on Facebook, he is just another dude shitposting his opinions. And that's OK, because I mostly shitpost myself on social media.

I've never bought any of his dharma books.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:39 am

Today he both castigated Biden for eliminating bin Laden’s #2, and had a meltdown over Pelosi’s landing in Taiwan, much sycophantic handwringing ensued….
His posts are getting quite predictable. Soon to come will be posts about how the US is cheating in the World Cup.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

PeterC wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:15 am

I don't use Fauxbook, but anyone describing themselves as a senior serving military officer on there is, obviously, almost certainly not that.

He needs to get his head out of his own ass and realize that apart from the Dharma, he doesn't have anything to say, so he should stick to that. His social media reads like someone with psychological issues.
The fake general deleted his posts and account real quick. It should be a wake up call to DJKR that his supporters online are often fake accounts and bots posing as top US military brass etc.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

I’ve bought some of his books, enjoyed his thoughts on things Dharma-related and was even looking forward to him returning some day to Pema Osel Ling for teachings. Now I’m a bit sceptical that he will return to the US after reading his FB posts. Oh well, c’est la vie and Vaya con Dios as we say in Cali. :)
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

KristenM wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:50 am The fake general deleted his posts and account real quick. It should be a wake up call to DJKR that his supporters online are often fake accounts and bots posing as top US military brass etc.
Not holding my breath. There's something unpleasant that happens to people who develop a following on social media - they stop questioning their own BS. Trump was a jerk before he got on twitter but something changed after he'd been on there for a while, it fried whatever part of his brain was left.

(For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not comparing Trump and DJKr in any other way than the fact that they use social media. DJKr does not seem in any way equivalent to a man who buries his ex-wife on a golf course to get a tax break.)
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

KristenM wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:54 am I’ve bought some of his books, enjoyed his thoughts on things Dharma-related and was even looking forward to him returning some day to Pema Osel Ling for teachings. Now I’m a bit sceptical that he will return to the US after reading his FB posts. Oh well, c’est la vie and Vaya con Dios as we say in Cali. :)
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Posts a link to a Forbes article called "Why Apocalyptic Claims About Climate Change Are Wrong" with the comment "Just reading another POV . Don’t rush putting me in a category"

I think of at least one category we can safely put him in.

Having read through his facebook posts for the past couple of months - which was painful, not just because it was facebook - the only think he posted that was an intelligent, well-thought-through position was when he said that the last Bond film wasn't very good.

Return to “Lounge”