Comparing Buddhism, Daoism, Brahmanism and Yoga

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
Morphius

Comparing Buddhism, Daoism, Brahmanism and Yoga

Post by Morphius »

I would be interested to get everyones feedback on this paper: https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... m_and_Yoga
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Comparing Buddhism, Daoism, Brahmanism and Yoga

Post by Ayu »

I moved your topic to the subforum Academic Discussion. Otherwise such a topic would not be welcome at DW, because comparing religions/traditions is frowned at.
Please mind the forum rules of this specific subforum and read the posting rules in our Terms of Service.
Thanks.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

This is a long paper on an ambitious subject. I hope to have some comments at later date, but usually such surveys cannot avoid terrible oversimplifications.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

tingdzin wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:16 am…but usually such surveys cannot avoid terrible oversimplifications.

And/or overcomplications….
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Well, I apologize, but I couldn't finish the paper because it is so full of statements that need qualification, it was difficult for me to retain a focus. If you want to do more with this, you might rearrange the presentation in terms of what you are setting out to say, saying it, and then dealing with possible objections. Just a suggestion.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Morphius wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:27 am I would be interested to get everyones feedback on this paper: https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... m_and_Yoga
It's an impossibly broad topic. To give an example - you cite the sutra in forty-two chapters to explain parallels between Daoist and Buddhist terminology. But that particular text was almost certainly a composite created in China. So what is the comparison you're making? Whole theses can and have been written on the origin of that sutra itself.

To get somewhere in a field like this you need to start small. Find a corner of the field that hasn't been looked at and dig into that. Don't try to cover the entire field at once.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

PeterC wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:59 amTo give an example - you cite the sutra in forty-two chapters to explain parallels between Daoist and Buddhist terminology. But that particular text was almost certainly a composite created in China.

Hm, that could be^, somehow similar to the Śurangama Sutra vs the Śurangama-Samadhi Sutra situation.

However I thought that I’d once saw something that suggested otherwise.

If so, then I’ll get back to you….
Last edited by Sādhaka on Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Sādhaka wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:12 am
PeterC wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:59 amTo give an example - you cite the sutra in forty-two chapters to explain parallels between Daoist and Buddhist terminology. But that particular text was almost certainly a composite created in China.

Hm, that could be^, somehow similar to the Śurangama Sutra vs the Śurangama-Samadhi Sutra situation.

However I thought that I’d once saw something that suggested otherwise.

If so, then I’ll get back to you….
That doesn’t mean the content is “wrong” btw. Just that we need to be cautious about citing it as representative of any particular period/school

Return to “Academic Discussion”