bring me the rhinoceros

clyde

bring me the rhinoceros

Post by clyde »

The other day I received a copy of John Tarrant’s “bring me the rhinoceros” in the mail. It was an unexpected gift sent from a Zen priest. Perhaps he sensed that I needed this given the difficult times we find ourselves facing.

From the Introduction,
Soldiers, housewives, farmers, and merchants used koans to find freedom within the often difficult conditions of their times. The method was to immerse yourself in the saying and see how it changed you. This meant letting the koan teach you by interacting with your life and your mind; the activity wasn’t confined to periods of formal meditation. People farmed the land, ran bureaucracies, and raised children, all the while keeping moment-to-moment company with their koan.
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

“The most straightforward advice on awakening enlightened mind is this: practice not causing harm to anyone—yourself or others—and every day, do what you can to be helpful.” Pema Chodron, “What to Do When the Going Gets Rough”
Pablo

Re: bring me the rhinoceros

Post by Pablo »

The method was to immerse yourself in the saying and see how it changed you.
This is not the method, not as Dahui designed it, and not how we practice it in our (Rinzai) lineage.

The point is not "see how it changes you". The point is to break through this "you" altogether, once and for all, so that the delusion of self cannot take hold again.
clyde

Post by clyde »

John Tarrant Roshi is not a traditionalist. From his bio,
I’m interested in Zen as a way that transforms the mind. There’s a dance between innovation and tradition, the way there is in English poetry. I studied and taught Zen in a classical, pretty much Japanese, manner for about 15 years before developing new ways of introducing koans that even people with no experience of meditation can find useful. A koan is a doorway. Strangely enough these imaginative little poems and stories and dialogues open into something more real than the usual stories the mind makes up.

https://www.pacificzen.org/library/full ... ant-roshi/
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

“The most straightforward advice on awakening enlightened mind is this: practice not causing harm to anyone—yourself or others—and every day, do what you can to be helpful.” Pema Chodron, “What to Do When the Going Gets Rough”
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Thanks, Clyde. Yes, I know Tarrant is exploring koans from a different angle. And I have no quarrel with that (not particularly interested in it, either, but I'm not interested in many things).

However, I take issue with his misrepresentation of koan practice as it was originally devised. Koan practice is and always was about awakening, period. Yes, Dahui was a pioneer in the way he developed huatou practice to allow laypeople to deepen their practice in the midst of their busy lives. Being a layperson myself, I am eternally grateful to Dahui for giving us this method and this opportunity. But Dahui's instructions were never to "let the koan teach you by interacting with your life and your mind". That was not the method.
reiun

Post by reiun »

No mention of zazen anywhere on the PZI website, just generic "Buddhist meditation", which is described as having a "mysterious and unpredictable healing power." https://www.pacificzen.org/meditation/

When Buddhism is "practiced according to one's own preferences", it is said to be a false practice (Meido Moore: The Rinzai Zen Way: A Guide to Practice). Not less so if practice is also taught that way. Just don't call it Zen, and it's all good.
clyde

Post by clyde »

I don’t practice with Tarrant Roshi, nor with PZI. Years ago I read a few articles he wrote and watched a video or two. And he was once a visiting teacher at the non-sectarian Buddhist sangha that I attended. As I noted, I received his book as a gift.

Regarding Tarrant Roshi, “. . . he passed his first koans with Korean teacher Seung Sahn. He studied with Robert Aitken in Hawaii for 9 years and was Aitken’s first dharma heir. He also did advanced koan work with Koun Yamada.” So for those who follow his practice methods and teaching, they are not practicing “according to one's own preferences.”

Regarding his approach to koans,
Although his training was originally in what was essentially still the medieval koan system, Tarrant has spent many years exploring how koans are pertinent to people living in the modern world. He holds koan seminars where people of all levels of experience are welcomed and a collaborative culture is encouraged. Pacific Zen Institute’s program of Koan small groups and salons allow people to study koans together in an ongoing way. He teaches koans as doorways available to anyone, not only for advanced practitioners.
Regarding his approach to meditation, here’s a short explanation:
Meditation can be as complicated as you want to make it, but here’s a move in the other direction:

1. Pay attention to whatever you notice (inside or outside yourself, it doesn’t matter) without thinking it’s good or bad, pleasant or unpleasant, wise or stupid, worthy or unworthy.
2. Actually there’s only one step. That’s it.
3. Sometimes the word “curiosity” will help you.

https://www.pacificzen.org/meditation/
But there’s more detailed instructions on sitting meditation (also, walking meditation) on the link.

Reiun has quoted the website accurately (“mysterious and unpredictable healing power.”), but he left out some of the accompanying explanation.

Here is how Tarrant Roshi defines “mysterious”,
By mysterious, I mean that while the effect of meditation is more or less as advertised, you are on a journey that does not reveal all its features at once, and even the destination is uncertain.
Regarding healing, he says:
Meditation is a project of healing, of putting ourselves and the world into harmony with the flow of life.  As we integrate meditation more and more into our culture, it is coming to seem natural that the healing of our states of mind is the beginning of kindness and imagination and making a successful culture. I’m interested in the question, “What are the essentials of the meditation path as a basis for this healing—healing of both person and culture?”

—John Tarrant
So, while Tarrant Roshi is not a traditionalist, neither is he outside of the Zen tradition.

reiun

Post by reiun »

clyde wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:55 pm I don’t practice with Tarrant Roshi, nor with PZI. Years ago I read a few articles he wrote and watched a video or two. And he was once a visiting teacher at the non-sectarian Buddhist sangha that I attended. As I noted, I received his book as a gift.
Ok, you've distanced yourself.
clyde wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:55 pm Regarding Tarrant Roshi, “. . . he passed his first koans with Korean teacher Seung Sahn. He studied with Robert Aitken in Hawaii for 9 years and was Aitken’s first dharma heir. He also did advanced koan work with Koun Yamada.” So for those who follow his practice methods and teaching, they are not practicing “according to one's own preferences.”
His preference includes using his own koans (e.g. 99 curves). That belongs to no one else. This proves that what he studied and what he now teaches is not necessarily the same, or that it has been otherwise vetted.
clyde wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:55 pm Regarding his approach to koans,
Although his training was originally in what was essentially still the medieval koan system, Tarrant has spent many years exploring how koans are pertinent to people living in the modern world. He holds koan seminars where people of all levels of experience are welcomed and a collaborative culture is encouraged. Pacific Zen Institute’s program of Koan small groups and salons allow people to study koans together in an ongoing way. He teaches koans as doorways available to anyone, not only for advanced practitioners.
Collaborative culture?! Sorry, but with something as intimate as an assigned koan, the student needs to do their own work in close relationship with a qualified teacher. (Unless, of course, you are saying that someone else can exactly share another's experience.)
clyde wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:55 pm Regarding his approach to meditation, here’s a short explanation:
Meditation can be as complicated as you want to make it, but here’s a move in the other direction:

1. Pay attention to whatever you notice (inside or outside yourself, it doesn’t matter) without thinking it’s good or bad, pleasant or unpleasant, wise or stupid, worthy or unworthy.
2. Actually there’s only one step. That’s it.
3. Sometimes the word “curiosity” will help you.

https://www.pacificzen.org/meditation/
But there’s more detailed instructions on sitting meditation (also, walking meditation) on the link.

Reiun has quoted the website accurately (“mysterious and unpredictable healing power.”), but he left out some of the accompanying explanation.

Here is how Tarrant Roshi defines “mysterious”,
By mysterious, I mean that while the effect of meditation is more or less as advertised, you are on a journey that does not reveal all its features at once, and even the destination is uncertain.
Regarding healing, he says:
Meditation is a project of healing, of putting ourselves and the world into harmony with the flow of life.  As we integrate meditation more and more into our culture, it is coming to seem natural that the healing of our states of mind is the beginning of kindness and imagination and making a successful culture. I’m interested in the question, “What are the essentials of the meditation path as a basis for this healing—healing of both person and culture?”

—John Tarrant
Yup. Speaks for itself. Not zazen. And healing DNE samadhi.
Meido

Post by Meido »

Not a Rinzai Zen teacher: the topic is misplaced in this sub-forum.
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

Had a feeling this one would bring out the wolves. I do love the kong an, haven’t read the book. 🙏
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Topic moved out of Rinzai to Zen.
clyde

Post by clyde »

Meido wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:12 am Not a Rinzai Zen teacher: the topic is misplaced in this sub-forum.
Meido is correct. Tarrant Roshi and PZI are not Rinzai sect, but in the Japanese Sanbo Kyodan sect of Zen, which “incorporates Rinzai Koan study as well as much of Soto tradition, a style Yasutani had learned from his teacher Harada Daiun Sogaku.” (Wikipedia)

Since the book is about koan study, it seemed appropriate to place it there.

Nevertheless, the moderators have moved it.

Meido

Post by Meido »

Sanbo Kyodan has its origins in Soto practitioners who sought out Rinzai masters, seeking to address lacks they perceived in Soto Zen as it currently exists.

But koan practice as done in Sanbo Zen is not the Rinzai Zen practice. It is not the same thing. It is best to view Sanbo Zen as a new sect, separate from either Soto or Rinzai Zen.

There are many English language books about koan practice. There are very view written about Rinzai Zen koan practice.
clyde

Post by clyde »

Meido, Yes, you’re right - Sanbo Zen should be seen as a separate school from Soto or Rinzai. Another well-known Zen teacher who studied with Tarrant Roshi is James Ford Roshi, co-founder and first Abbot of Boundless Way Zen and now founder of Empty Moon Zen, who has an eclectic background.

And as a separate school of Zen, it has its own approach to koan study.

reiun

Post by reiun »

Tarrant is not listed on http://www.sanbo-zen.org/master_e.html among the formally authorized independent Zen leaders of the SANBÔZEN.
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

There's been a split between teachers in the Harada lineage who remain formally part of Sanbo Kyodan, and those who do not. I don't know much about Tarrant, but Aitken received transmission from Yamada Koun, so Tarrant's a legitimate lineage holder in that tradition, even if he's not part of the formal organization.
clyde

Post by clyde »

Reiun,

I wasn’t attempting to distance myself, but to be clear about what I know of and what I don’t know of Tarrant Roshi.

His use of his own koans is not new or unique to him. Other Zen teachers, even those in the traditional Rinzai sect have used original koans.

Yes, he uses koans in a non-traditional way and regarding meditation, whether he calls it zazen or not, the instructions are pretty standard Soto Zen instructions.

Tarrant Roshi may not be your cup of tea (Remember to empty your cup!), but he may resonate with others.

Meanwhile I’ll read a bit more of his book. Maybe it will speak to me.

reiun

Post by reiun »

clyde wrote: Meanwhile I’ll read a bit more of his book. Maybe it will speak to me.
Or maybe try a sesshin somewhere with teachers who know traditional koan, like a couple who have posted here, if you want to get a backbone in the tradition. Not as easy as reading a book, but you will never forget it.
clyde

Post by clyde »

Tarrant Roshi begins Chapter 1, Bodhidharma’s Vast Emptiness with this traditional Zen legend .
Emperor Wu of Liang asked the great master Bodhidharma,
“What is the main point of this holy teaching?”

“Vast emptiness, nothing holy,” said Bodhidharma.

“Who are you, standing in front of me?” asked the emperor.

“I do not know,” said Bodhidharma.

The emperor didn't understand. Bodhidharma crossed the Yangtze River and went to the kingdom of Wei.

Later, the emperor raised this matter with his advisor, Duke Zhi. The advisor asked,
“Your Majesty, do you know who that Indian sage was?”

“No I don’t,” said the emperor.

“That was Avalokiteshvara, the Bodhisattva of Compassion, carrying the seal of the Buddha’s heart and mind.”

The emperor felt a sudden regret and said, “Send a messenger to call him back.”

Duke Zhi told him, “Your Majesty, even if everyone in the Kingdom went after him he wouldn't return.”
He then retells the story. He adds background and insight of Emperor Wu and more details of the Emperor’s interaction with Bodhidharma and its effects. It’s a heartfelt retelling.

He then writes about “Working with the Koan” and the importance of “don’t know”.

The next chapter is the koan Zhaozhou’s Dog (Mu).

P.S: Reiun, Thank you for your recommendation, but circumstances are not conducive for such activity at this time.

clyde

Post by clyde »

After presenting the koan Zhaozhou’s Dog (Mu), Tarrant Roshi has this quote which I felt was quite beautiful:
I would like to beg you, dear Sir, to have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don’t search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, some day far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.

- Rainer Maria Rilkes advice to a young poet

master of puppets

Post by master of puppets »

clyde wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:41 am After presenting the koan Zhaozhou’s Dog (Mu), Tarrant Roshi has this quote which I felt was quite beautiful:
I would like to beg you, dear Sir, to have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don’t search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, some day far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.

- Rainer Maria Rilkes advice to a young poet

Thank you for your sincerity.

If you want to practice first you have to empty your mind.
and there is no other way.

when it is possible you remove the curtain in your eyes (mind) and be able to listen the person in front of you as what has been said. until then you only listen your inner voice in your own world.

I think what is meaned there is this; remove the veil so be able to live and fall into the real life.

as in the sun rise; to be able to open the senses and be aware see, hear, .. and live in the new enlightened world as when the light comes ..

how much far ı am each we individual?

Return to “Zen”