Dzogchen Meditation Retreat with Chakung Jigme Wangdrak Rinpoche and Anam Thubten May 13-15 2022

Virgo

Re: Dzogchen Meditation Retreat with Chakung Jigme Wangdrak Rinpoche and Anam Thubten May 13-15 2022

Post by Virgo »

Crazywisdom wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:15 pm I can't even find my feet on alcohol.
You should practice walking on sea vehicles.

Virgo
Malcolm

Re: Dzogchen Meditation Retreat with Chakung Jigme Wangdrak Rinpoche and Anam Thubten May 13-15 2022

Post by Malcolm »

cjb wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:59 pm
Malcolm wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:33 pm
cjb wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:07 pm

Hi Malcom,

I appreciate your translation work, thank you very much for your efforts.

I'm not familiar with this term at all.
Your assertion that "awareness," by which I assume you mean the term "rig pa," is not something to be cultivated is completely mistaken. I am not sure where you learned this, but it is not a correct understanding. Rig pa is just a special kind of knowledge, that's all.
Malcom,

Thank you for clarifying.

I am not suggesting that familiarization with rig pa is not required, if that is what is meant here by cultivation. Only that rig pa is not created/modified/etc upon recognition of it,
Rig pa is the recognition. When there is no recognition, there is no rig pa. There is instead ma rig pa, ignorance.
cjb

Post by cjb »

Malcolm wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:56 am
cjb wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:59 pm

Your assertion that "awareness," by which I assume you mean the term "rig pa," is not something to be cultivated is completely mistaken. I am not sure where you learned this, but it is not a correct understanding. Rig pa is just a special kind of knowledge, that's all.
Malcom,

Thank you for clarifying.

I am not suggesting that familiarization with rig pa is not required, if that is what is meant here by cultivation. Only that rig pa is not created/modified/etc upon recognition of it,
Rig pa is the recognition. When there is no recognition, there is no rig pa. There is instead ma rig pa, ignorance.
I see where my language was off. Recognition of the nature of mind.

I consider myself a student of this tradition, not Advaita. Apologies if my flawed language conveyed otherwise.

- Cameron
Nalanda

Post by Nalanda »

cjb wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:59 pmThe reason I said this is because Nalanda was asking how many times one can receive a DI
Many times? For Pointing-Out Instructions? I'm not saying it's not true but I'm curious where else did I ask except for that one time? Just curious.
IF YOU PRACTICE WITH A STRONG BELIEF IN WHAT
YOU ARE DOING, THEN THERE IS NO LIMIT TO WHAT
YOU CAN ACCOMPLISH WITH YOUR PRACTICE.

CHAKUNG JIGME WANGDRAK RINPOCHE

Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Nalanda wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:00 am
cjb wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:59 pmThe reason I said this is because Nalanda was asking how many times one can receive a DI
Many times? For Pointing-Out Instructions? I'm not saying it's not true but I'm curious where else did I ask except for that one time? Just curious.
You can receive PO over and over again from many different teachers. That’s fine. Most useful would be to use the methods given to give yourself PO over and over again every day.
Nalanda

Post by Nalanda »

Arnoud wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:02 am
You can receive PO over and over again from many different teachers. That’s fine. Most useful would be to use the methods given to give yourself PO over and over again every day.

Yeah I understood that part. Thanks.

I'm just replying to CBJ's claim that I asked "many times" about "pointing-out instructions" and "direct instructions" something I don't believe I did. But if I did, I'd like to know where so I could review the replies.

stoneinfocus

Post by stoneinfocus »

Nalanda wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:06 am
Arnoud wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:02 am

Yeah I understood that part. Thanks.

I'm just replying to CBJ's claim that I asked "many times" about "pointing-out instructions" and "direct instructions" something I don't believe I did. But if I did, I'd like to know where so I could review the replies.
Reread cbj's quote: he did not say you asked many times, he said you asked HOW many times.
cjb

Post by cjb »

Nalanda wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:35 pm When you get a pointing-out instruction, does that mean it's a one-time thing or you can keep getting it from various teachers?
Nalanda,

"One-time thing or keep getting it."

I may have assumed too much about your reason for asking this.

- Cameron
Nalanda

Post by Nalanda »

cjb wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:40 am Nalanda,

I usually just lurk here, but I see you asking about pointing-out frequently.
Did i ask frequently or did I ask if its to be received frequently? either case, i didn't.

if i did, where?

cjb

Post by cjb »

Nalanda wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:53 am

Did i ask frequently or did I ask if its to be received frequently? either case, i didn't.

if i did, where?
Oh I see, well, I've seen you post in many threads. You ask a lot of questions. I couldn't say exactly how many times generally, but something sparked me to brave Malcom's inevitable (and welcome) reply and make sure you knew that you have options that are very accessible from a lovely, qualified teacher.

The content of my post was specifically referring to the quote in this thread.

Like I said, I hope it wasn't out of line and was helpful.

No criticism of you in any way.

- Cameron
Nalanda

Post by Nalanda »

cjb wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:04 am
Nalanda wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:53 am

if i did, where?
Oh I see, well, I've seen you post in many threads. You ask a lot of questions. I couldn't say exactly how many times generally, but something sparked me to brave Malcom's inevitable (and welcome) reply and make sure you knew that you have options that are very accessible from a lovely, qualified teacher.

The content of my post was specifically referring to the quote in this thread.

Like I said, I hope it wasn't out of line and was helpful.

No criticism of you in any way.

- Cameron

Yes I ask "a lot of questions" but I don't recall asking about "pointing-out" instructions many times. If you have records of that, please provide so I could actually read the replies.

stoneinfocus

Post by stoneinfocus »

I think y'all need to discuss this privately at this point. :offtopic:
Nalanda

Post by Nalanda »

Or not. Please don't PM.

The harassment I get by PM is already too much.

PeterC

Post by PeterC »

In any case the important thing is not to receive it many times but to actually practice what you've received. Otherwise it doesn't help, to borrow a phrase from another context, even if you have your forehead beaten flat by being hit by the vase.
Nalanda

Post by Nalanda »

So about samaya which was mentioned a number of times during the retreat, how does one actually respect that?

(Yes I know I asked this a couple of times, in case another one in the woods show up or PM me.)

Terma

Post by Terma »

Nalanda wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:44 am So about samaya which was mentioned a number of times during the retreat, how does one actually respect that?

(Yes I know I asked this a couple of times, in case another one in the woods show up or PM me.)
Did the presiding master mention any samaya commitments during the teachings? Sometimes they do, sometimes not.

If yes, then follow their instructions.

If no, then in general it is important to have the utmost respect and if possible generate some devotion for this teacher that gave you these transmissions/pointing out instructions or whatever. It is through the guru that we receive teachings, and receive instructions.

Also keep great respect for the lineage.

Furthermore, samaya also means keeping these teachings and practices secret from those who have not received them or are seen as not being suitable for them.

I'm sure others will add, but this is a good start.
Nalanda

Post by Nalanda »

Good. I intend to follow CJWR over the long term and to practice the teachings I received. And yes on keeping it secret. Thx

stoneinfocus

Post by stoneinfocus »

Nalanda wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:44 am So about samaya which was mentioned a number of times during the retreat, how does one actually respect that?

One of the more qualified teachers or posters may post a satisfying answer, but I think this is also a good question to email Abhaya Fellowship and try to ask Chakung Rinpoche/his organization directly. Direct guidance on keeping samaya is usually best.
Terma

Post by Terma »

stoneinfocus wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:54 am

One of the more qualified teachers or posters may post a satisfying answer, but I think this is also a good question to email Abhaya Fellowship and try to ask Chakung Rinpoche/his organization directly. Direct guidance on keeping samaya is usually best.
:good:

This is actually the best advice. If you really want to follow a certain teacher, you need to have a sense of trust in what they are teaching. Therefore, it matters most what they say and not what others may think.
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

I
Archie2009 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:45 pm
cjb wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:07 pm

Hi Malcom,

I appreciate your translation work, thank you very much for your efforts.

I'm not familiar with this term at all.
I think I heard something very similar in a Lama Lena video I watched out of curiosity on YouTube once, but I can't speak for cjb, of course.
That would not surprise me at all.

Return to “Dzogchen”