Dzogchen Meditation Retreat with Chakung Jigme Wangdrak Rinpoche and Anam Thubten May 13-15 2022

rang.drol

Re: Dzogchen Meditation Retreat with Chakung Jigme Wangdrak Rinpoche and Anam Thubten May 13-15 2022

Post by rang.drol »

Archie2009 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:46 am
Nalanda wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:53 am Good question. What did the translator said is the lineage of this transmission/empowerment?
I wasn't taking notes and didn't write down the name of the person who gave Chakung Jigme Wangdrak Rinpoche this empowerment, but Düdjom Lingpa (1835-1904) was Chakung Jigme Wangdrak Rinpoche's great great great grandfather (4th generation). Düdjom Lingpa had many children, eight sons and four daughters, ten grandchildren, and ten great grandchildren (B. Alan Wallace in Düdjom Lingpa's Visions of the Great Perfection, Vol. 1: Heart of the Great Perfection, page 16). All of his sons were great practitioners, scholars, etc. It is not clear to me through which of Düdjom Lingpa's twelve children Rinpoche is related to him. But obviously the lineage of the transmission of the empowerment and teachings we received and will receive over the weekend is very short, direct and pure as a result. Throughout his life, Düdjom Lingpa had many visionary encounters with e.g. various manifestations of Padmasambhava. On these occassions he received teachings. His autobiography has been translated as A Clear Mirror: The Visionary Autobiography of a Tibetan Master (Rangjung Yeshe Publications). The B. Alan Wallace book I mentioned above contains a short biographical sketch as well.
He received it via Khandroma Kunzang Wangmo, who was the daughter of Patrul Namkha Jikme (a reincarnation of Patrul Rinpoche by the way), who in turn was one of the sons of Dudjom Lingpa.

So indeed the lineage is a very short one and mostly within the Dudjom Lingpa family itself (up to Dakini Kunzang Wangmo), so we are truly fortunate to be connected to this!
Archie2009

Re: Dzogchen Meditation Retreat with Chakung Jigme Wangdrak Rinpoche and Anam Thubten May 13-15 2022

Post by Archie2009 »

rang.drol wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:56 pm
Archie2009 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:46 am
Nalanda wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:53 am Good question. What did the translator said is the lineage of this transmission/empowerment?
I wasn't taking notes and didn't write down the name of the person who gave Chakung Jigme Wangdrak Rinpoche this empowerment, but Düdjom Lingpa (1835-1904) was Chakung Jigme Wangdrak Rinpoche's great great great grandfather (4th generation). Düdjom Lingpa had many children, eight sons and four daughters, ten grandchildren, and ten great grandchildren (B. Alan Wallace in Düdjom Lingpa's Visions of the Great Perfection, Vol. 1: Heart of the Great Perfection, page 16). All of his sons were great practitioners, scholars, etc. It is not clear to me through which of Düdjom Lingpa's twelve children Rinpoche is related to him. But obviously the lineage of the transmission of the empowerment and teachings we received and will receive over the weekend is very short, direct and pure as a result. Throughout his life, Düdjom Lingpa had many visionary encounters with e.g. various manifestations of Padmasambhava. On these occassions he received teachings. His autobiography has been translated as A Clear Mirror: The Visionary Autobiography of a Tibetan Master (Rangjung Yeshe Publications). The B. Alan Wallace book I mentioned above contains a short biographical sketch as well.
He received it via Khandroma Kunzang Wangmo, who was the daughter of Patrul Namkha Jikme (a reincarnation of Patrul Rinpoche by the way), who in turn was one of the sons of Dudjom Lingpa.

So indeed the lineage is a very short one and mostly within the Dudjom Lingpa family itself (up to Dakini Kunzang Wangmo), so we are truly fortunate to be connected to this!
Thank you! :smile:
Nalanda

Post by Nalanda »

I asked the volunteer team the specs/details about this Dzogchen retreat.

Now, I'm not quite sure what Anam Thubten (AT) talked about. Meditation on the sound of 4 elements? There was really no clear instruction on that. Or did he just teach that historically it was being done in the past but not anymore? If so, he still said in the end that this is part of the preliminary? (or the kind lady in the end said that, she might have)

And then there is this practice: "reh shen" or "russian" "rigdzin"?

What is it?
IF YOU PRACTICE WITH A STRONG BELIEF IN WHAT
YOU ARE DOING, THEN THERE IS NO LIMIT TO WHAT
YOU CAN ACCOMPLISH WITH YOUR PRACTICE.

CHAKUNG JIGME WANGDRAK RINPOCHE

Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

Nalanda wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:33 pm I asked the volunteer team the specs/details about this Dzogchen retreat.

Now, I'm not quite sure what Anam Thubten (AT) talked about. Meditation on the sound of 4 elements? There was really no clear instruction on that. Or did he just teach that historically it was being done in the past but not anymore? If so, he still said in the end that this is part of the preliminary? (or the kind lady in the end said that, she might have)

And then there is this practice: "reh shen" or "russian" "rigdzin"?

What is it?
Yes, that particular preliminary is not practiced often anymore. See e.g. the Yeshe Lama where it is briefly mentioned. The source for that practice is the sgra thal 'gyur, one of the 17 tantras. There are other preliminaries which can be practiced internally, that of the mind, which Chakung Jigme Wangdrak Rinpoche will explain in the later session, as he ran out of time just now.

འཁོར་འདས་རུ་ཤན་, 'khor 'das ru shan, the parting into sides of saṃsāra and nirvāṇa.
Last edited by Archie2009 on Sat May 14, 2022 8:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nalanda

Post by Nalanda »

Great to know the right spelling. I would crap bricks if all this time, the key to enlightenment is the Russians.

Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

Nalanda wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:52 pm Great to know the right spelling.
I sometimes just copy/paste things from text files of notes I made previously.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Nalanda wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:33 pm Meditation on the sound of 4 elements? There was really no clear instruction on that.
This is called "guidance of the three kāyas (sku gsum sna khrid). It is not practiced extensively because the complete instructions for it have been lost for centuries. We only have partial, incomplete instructions.
YesheDronmar

Post by YesheDronmar »

Malcolm wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:56 pm
Nalanda wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:33 pm Meditation on the sound of 4 elements? There was really no clear instruction on that.
This is called "guidance of the three kāyas (sku gsum sna khrid). It is not practiced extensively because the complete instructions for it have been lost for centuries. We only have partial, incomplete instructions.
Thank you for this information, Malcolm.

Is the Guidance of the Three Kayas from Dudjom Lingpa?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

YesheDronmar wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:34 pm

No, it is an ancient category of preliminaries found in the Sound tantra and its attendant commentary. Unfortunately, one of the key manuals that explains how to actually practice this is missing.
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Malcolm wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:37 pm
YesheDronmar wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:34 pm

No, it is an ancient category of preliminaries found in the Sound tantra and its attendant commentary. Unfortunately, one of the key manuals that explains how to actually practice this is missing.
Would it be possible for a Terton to recover or renew the tradition?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Arnoud wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:02 pm
No, I don't think so.
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Malcolm wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:10 pm
No, I don't think so.
Maybe the manual will show up in some long lost library one day. Of course, there are still plenty of practices left so…
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Arnoud wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:31 pm
No, I don't think so.
Maybe the manual will show up in some long lost library one day. Of course, there are still plenty of practices left so…
We can only hope. Sometimes, when knowledge is lost, it is lost for good.
Daniel83

Post by Daniel83 »

Did Chakung Jigme Wangdrak Rinpoche give the direct pointing-out instruction already? He said he first didn't want to because of the dream. I'm so confused. I was trying to assume the posture, I thought that's what we were supposed to do
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Arnoud wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:31 pm
No, I don't think so.
There are many rushen so it is all good. Things happen which is the impermanence. :)

Virgo
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

Daniel83 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:20 pm Did Chakung Jigme Wangdrak Rinpoche give the direct pointing-out instruction already? He said he first didn't want to because of the dream. I'm so confused. I was trying to assume the posture, I thought that's what we were supposed to do
Rinpoche went ahead and gave a magnificent pointing-out instruction. Anam Thubten was also wonderful.
Nalanda

Post by Nalanda »

When you get a pointing-out instruction, does that mean it's a one-time thing or you can keep getting it from various teachers?

Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Nalanda wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:35 pm When you get a pointing-out instruction, does that mean it's a one-time thing or you can keep getting it from various teachers?
Yes you can receive again from anyone you choose
Nalanda

Post by Nalanda »

How was the Samaya established here between me and the teacher and how can I respect it?

LolCat

Post by LolCat »

Wow that was a very powerful retreat! My first introduction to Chakung Jigme Wangdrak Rinpoche, definitely following him in the future.

Return to “Dzogchen”